Cultivated Reef

Baby Fungia?

noirsphynx

What does everyone think this is.......possibly a Rhizo? I bought it as a hitchhiker on a frag from a LFS. It was the size of pencil eraser but is quickly growing. In a month and a half it's grown to the size of a quater.

RhizoJuly2209.jpg

What does everyone think this is.......possibly a Rhizo? I bought it as a hitchhiker on a frag from a LFS. It was the size of pencil eraser but is quickly growing. In a month and a half it's grown to the size of a quater.

hairy mushroom?

hairy mushroom?

Nope, definitely not a mushroom.

Is it hard or soft?

It has a hard skeletal structure and here it is after I've touched it. It's also very carnivorous

rhizoclosed.jpg

Some kind of plate coral (Fungia sp.) would be my guess then.

Thanks, I think you're right. I actually have two of these guys. What a cool free hitchhiker :D

If it is a Fungia sp. you may have a propagation site. This would mean as the plate grows and eventually falls off to the sandbed where they normally reside the site it fell from will grow a new coral. I believe it was C est ma that had one of these sites in here 5.5 gallon tank.

nice find! i have one too!

I have a plate coral factory also :)

Interested to know how many each of you have gotten from your sites.

If it is a Fungia sp. you may have a propagation site. This would mean as the plate grows and eventually falls off to the sandbed where they normally reside the site it fell from will grow a new coral. I believe it was C est ma that had one of these sites in here 5.5 gallon tank.

That is so neat!!! I hope it does turn out to be the case.

• 10 months later...
noirsphynx

It's been nearly a year since posting this but today I picked up the fungia to move it and it finally released from its propagation site. I had 2 babies but they ended up merging together.

Here it is(when I bought it, the diameter was the size of an eraser on a pencil):

P6030120.jpg

P6030122.jpg

P6030123.jpg

Not sure what it is, but its not a rhyzo

Yes, definitely not a rhizo but when I bought it I was told it possibly was a baby rhizo. I'm not entirely sure exactly what it is either.

noirsphynx

Thanks everyone! I am hoping to see some regeneration on the production site.

I will definitely read that thread later on today, thanks for the link.

Archived