• pacific blue tang
    • Niger Trigger
    • butterflies (suggestions?)
    • anthias (suggestions?)
    • Imperator Angel
    • Purple Tang
    • Lionfish (probably red volitan)
    • Other

So my favorite fish, my Powder Blue Tang, died this weekend, with no warning signs, after almost 5 encouraging months of progress. He had even been gaining weight for a month or so. I know this is the nature of such a finicky fish. I would really love another one, but can't stand the thought of such beautiful fish dieing in my care.

Anyways, the tank looks really empty now, and I want to replace him with something. What do ya'll think would look cool in my tank?

Current inhabitants:

Yellow Tang, Sailfin Tang, Coral Beauty Angel, Occy clown pair, sixline wrasse, fiji blue devil damsel, blue/green chromis

Post up what you voted for and why.

revaltion131

I'd say PBT or Atlantic Blue. If you didn't get one of those, I would definitly avoid the angel. If memory serves, your tank is a 125 and you won't be able to keep him there long term. I think ideally they need 200+ gallons.

Powder Brown Tang because you've already had a Powder Blue and they're just as cool.

I'd say PBT or Atlantic Blue. If you didn't get one of those, I would definitly avoid the angel. If memory serves, your tank is a 125 and you won't be able to keep him there long term. I think ideally they need 200+ gallons.

no lion fish i mean their awesome but hell eat the other fish so i say PBT or sunburst anthias they may be hard to keep but are awesome once they get acclimated. :)

Maybe a mimic tang?

...maybe. I don't know how much my Yellow Tang would like a juvenile though.

Atlantic Blue.

Good suggestion. They're cheap too, but same problem with a juvenile as the Mimic.

If memory serves, your tank is a 125 and you won't be able to keep him there long term. I think ideally they need 200+ gallons.

The goal would be to get one as small as possible. The future goal is also a 240+ (hopefully more like 350!) within 3 or 4 years. I really want 8'x3'x2', but a standard 240 would do.

Powder Brown Tang because you've already had a Powder Blue and they're just as cool.

Maybe if I find a healthy one in person. I ultimately want something else with some blue in it though.

no lion fish i mean their awesome but hell eat the other fish so i say PBT or sunburst anthias they may be hard to keep but are awesome once they get acclimated. :)

Should've addressed this. If I go with a Lion, which I'm strongly considering, the 125 will become FOWLR. The corals and all of the small fish (everything but the coral beauty and tangs) will go to a 40b. This would also make room for butterflies, triggers, and all of the other cool but reef questionable fish out there.

Anthias are definitely on the radar, even if I go with something else from this list. I do like the Sunbursts.

Purple Tang :D

get smaller or about the sam esize as the yellow tang, they can be mean buggers.

I also looooove hippo tangs

A powder brown would be cool, but what about a copperband butterfly? They're gorgeous.

A CBB will probably happen if I ever find a healthy one locally. The 54 corner has huge aiptasia,it was a friend's tank,that the peppermints can't keep up with. So a CBB would help the shrimp catch up, then I could move him to the 125. Thanks for all the ideas ya'll, keep 'em coming!

I forgot to add wrasse to the list. I'm leaning heavily towards something like a Scott's Fairy wrasse, maybe a nice male leopard. We'll see what I can find when I have some more fish money.

• 4 months later...

So I wound up going with another PBT. ...and a Niger trigger. ...and a quad of Lyretail Anthias. ...and a McCosker's flasher wrasse.

The tank doesn't look empty anymore. Thanks for the votes everyone!

Love it! "I just want one fish to fill a void but I can't decide on one so WTH, I'll just get 7 :lol:

Can we see some pics?

There were only 7 fish in the tank, so I had the room. I will take pics tonight. There are a few in my 125 thread along with a full stocking list.

Anthias.. if you can keep up with feeding, get LYRETAILS!

Or blotched or bicolors... My favorite are blotched although they're pretty pricey.

how about a kole tang?

Sailfin tang?

15 chromis!?

Anthias.. if you can keep up with feeding, get LYRETAILS!

See post #14. The tank is now full. :D

I voted another powder blue... They are my all time favorite fish! :wub:

+1 Along with, porcupine puffer, and Achilles tang

But my biggest tank is a 40b, so im screwed on all of them!

I wish I knew someone that had a big tank to take a PBT once it got big. The LFS always has a bunch of quarter sized tangs that are really cute but I just don't have the funds for a 75+ gallon tank :(

Whitecheek Tangs are really pretty btw

Archived