inTank Media Baskets

The new salinity/specific gravity poll

vangvace

What do you use to measure your tanks salinity?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use to measure salinity?

• Swing-Arm Hydrometer
    • Floating Glass Hydrometer
    • Refractometer
    • Digital Monitoring Device
  2. 2. Do you calibrate or check your device of choice periodically?

• Yes
    • No
    • When something is wrong
  3. 3. Do you check your tank's salinity level?

• Yes
    • No
    • When something is wrong
  4. 4. What specific gravity do you maintain?

• <1.023
    • 1.023 - 1.024
    • 1.024 - 1.025
    • 1.025 - 1.026
    • 1.026 - 1.027
    • > 1.027

Since Fosi's poll disappeared I figured I would make a new one. Please let me know if there is anything I missed and I will try to fix it.

Also I have one more question available if needed.

I voted Swing-arm since thats what I use most often. I calibrate it with a refractometer, which I calibrate a few times a year.

I do check the tank's salinity, which I keep around 1.026.

I like this one too, your's was still good though Fosi. I'll bet I'm still the ONLY vote for digital measuring device. :P I just set my Finnex 30g glass tank back up last nite and S.G. is currently sitting pretty @ 1.025 B)

Interesting. Occasionally I'll use my swing-arm for water changes. This dials me close. Then finish off with the Refractometer. I'm a night person and the refractometer can be hard to read at night with only those CFL bulbs going. You need a point source light to properly read them.

Morgan_Moran
Interesting. I'm a night person and the refractometer can be hard to read at night with only those CFL bulbs going. You need a point source light to properly read them.

@Rocket and all - I work for a company that manufactures refractometers and I have thought for a while that adding a light source to the refractometer itself would be beneficial to people that are taking measurements at night and/or in other low-light conditions.

Is this something that would be helpful and seen as valuable? Do many of you have trouble reading your refractometers because of inadequate light or are these instances few and far between?

@Rocket and all - I work for a company that manufactures refractometers and I have thought for a while that adding a light source to the refractometer itself would be beneficial to people that are taking measurements at night and/or in other low-light conditions.

Is this something that would be helpful and seen as valuable? Do many of you have trouble reading your refractometers because of inadequate light or are these instances few and far between?

I would most likely purchase product. That way I would not have to turn on tank lights/ house lights to get a reading. Would help with not disturbing the tank at night.

Right now I use a rechargable LED flashlight to get a reading. I imaging if you added a light to the meter it would have to be bright but weight would have to be kept in check.

Maybe its my refractormeter but since day one of owning it CFLs leave a indistinguishable fussy line. I need a bright point source light to get a crisp line.

@ Lalani: The salt in the tank shouldn't be going anywhere so testing just the WC water should be sufficient but a slow leak could over time lower your tank salinity due to the leaked salt water being replaced with topoff RO. So it depends on if how your tanks are set up could be hiding a small leak (even just a drop a minute will add up over time). Best to check the tank water at least once in a while.

I use my digits to work my refractometer, does this make it a digital monitoring device? :confused:

@ Lalani: The salt in the tank shouldn't be going anywhere so testing just the WC water should be sufficient but a slow leak could over time lower your tank salinity due to the leaked salt water being replaced with topoff RO . . .

The SG can also drift over time if you use additives to maintain Calcium and Alkalinity levels

I use the swing arm that I calibrated with my refractometer...it's easier to dip than to take the refractometer outta the case , clean the glass, put drops, go to 3 different rooms for good light....ay vey :mellow:

+1 Refracto! not to stire up and argument, but i dont know how you can consider having to dip that giant plastic toy in the water easier than using a pipette to drop a drop on a glass, close it and look at a light. When ur done with the hydro. you gotta flush it with fresh water and wipe the thing off and hope no salt got stuck. After 6 months using mine and flushing after every use it was off by .004 that's just too much for comfort, i'd rather a toy i can calibrate regularly and know i dont have to compensate for temperature! Sorry folks, had my morning coffee and felt like dropping in a bag of change instead of the normal 2 cents! goodluck everybody...

ps...Rocket, CFL...that's MJ Growing lights where i come from!

... i dont know how you can consider having to dip that giant plastic toy in the water easier

Once again, the fact that something is made of plastic doesn't say anything about it's quality.

After 6 months using mine and flushing after every use it was off by .004 that's just too much for comfort...

You calibrated it when you bought it and it drifted 0.004 over 6 months? Or you had been using it for six months before you calibrated it?

• 2 weeks later...
+1 Refracto! not to stire up and argument, but i dont know how you can consider having to dip that giant plastic toy in the water easier than using a pipette to drop a drop on a glass, close it and look at a light. When ur done with the hydro. you gotta flush it with fresh water and wipe the thing off and hope no salt got stuck. After 6 months using mine and flushing after every use it was off by .004 that's just too much for comfort, i'd rather a toy i can calibrate regularly and know i dont have to compensate for temperature! Sorry folks, had my morning coffee and felt like dropping in a bag of change instead of the normal 2 cents! goodluck everybody...

ps...Rocket, CFL...that's MJ Growing lights where i come from!

Hydros only need calibration ONCE, period! ;)

Salt does not get stuck when dissolved, if you have chunks floating in your tank, then you have a whole other problem on your hands than just what salinity your tank is at. A hydro maybe be EASIER than a refracto, but it's certainly not any more difficult. Also, a hydro can be used in the dark, can your refracto be used with no light? I think not! :lol:

• 6 months later...

Archived