SaltCritters.com

Chaz's led build, PWM circuits suck

chazde3

Well I got my heatsink in today, so the build begins. I got a 32" long large size heatsink from heatsinkusa to go over my 30g breeder tank. I'm stopping by Lowe's on my way home to buy drill and tap sets and a few other basics so that the heatsink is ready for when I finally get the leds and drivers.

Running Total

LEDs: 26 cw Cree XR-E, 26 rb Cree XR-E

Drivers: 4-Meanwell ELN-60-48P

Total for LEDs and Drivers: $414 w/shipping

Heatsink: 32" "Large" HeatSinkUSA $83.57 w/shipping

4 4-40 drill and tap sets and tap handle: $18.76

Total so far: $516.33

ita about time! :lol:

:slap: Quiet you.

I should have had this started a couple months ago, but better late than never. Picked up 3 drill and tap sets and will hopefully begin drilling tomorrow. I need to work out the placement tonight.

:slap: Quiet you.

I should have had this started a couple months ago, but better late than never. Picked up 3 drill and tap sets and will hopefully begin drilling tomorrow. I need to work out the placement tonight.

:P:P:P

So hand tapping 104 holes is a pain in the a$$. I'm a little over half way through and my arm is starting to hurt, lol.

I hear you there, just finished 80 myself. I really wish the stars could take 6-32 screws, as I have tapped a ton of those using a good small cordless drill with the clutch on the lowest torque setting. 4-40 taps just snap using that method...

Or a 5 axis cnc mill would be nice too, I just need a small one 24x48 would be plenty :)

I wish I had a machining class right now. On a cnc mill this sucker would've been drilled and tapped in 30 minutes instead of taking all night. I think I will bring this to school next semester and mill out pockets for the fans for a cleaner look.

So hand tapping 104 holes is a pain in the a$$. I'm a little over half way through and my arm is starting to hurt, lol.

:haha: welcome to the club

I don't need or want an LED setup right now, but being part owner of a CNC machine shop, it's killing me to hold off considering how easy, clean, and professional the heatsink would be... :)

I don't need or want an LED setup right now, but being part owner of a CNC machine shop, it's killing me to hold off considering how easy, clean, and professional the heatsink would be... :)

I was originally going to machine my own heatsink out of aluminum that has been sitting around at my college for a few years. Here's a link to my original plans, ignore the first concept drawings. Link

If all goes well on this build I may check into viability of a small scale LED retro operation.

Was planning on us 6-32 screws for my build. They seem to fit in notches fine. Why the 4-40?

I thought I heard that 6-32 screws wouldn't work with the stars. I just went with what others had used so I knew they would work.

Well I'm talking to a person that builds acrylic tanks about making a splash guard for my fixture. Here's a pic of my proposed design.

Splashguard3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well all the leds are screwed onto the heatsink and wired up. I tested a couple of the strings last night and these suckers are bright.

Oh and the pictures of the tank in my last post aren't mine. It won't let me remove the attachments for some reason.

Cool, lets see some more pictures.

I didn't see anything about a POT /PWM. What are you using for a dimmer/controller?

Cool, lets see some more pictures.

I didn't see anything about a POT /PWM. What are you using for a dimmer/controller?

I used a variable voltage power supply set at 9v so that they would light. I have to build to pwm circuits soon so that they will be fully dimmable.

I used a variable voltage power supply set at 9v so that they would light. I have to build to pwm circuits soon so that they will be fully dimmable.

Cool, and you plugged that variable voltage ps right onto the Dim +/- on the Meanwell?

Cool, and you plugged that variable voltage ps right onto the Dim +/- on the Meanwell?

Yeah. I was also able to dim the lights with it by changing the voltage. You don't have full control of the dimming, but it will work for now.

Archived