Cultivated Reef

Hot in Michigan

spanko

So the temps in Michigan the last couple of days have been in the upper 80's low 90's. Found out our air conditioner needed to be replaced. They did it this evening. Running now thank goodness.

However looked in the tank yesterday and temp was 82 ish. Go home from work today, the temp in the house is 92 and the tank is at 86. Immediately turn off the halide, get a fan and a bag of ice to bring it down.

However have lost the following;

Largeish purple birdsnest total RTN.

Green polyped birdsnest not looking so good.

One acan colony looking melted, the other not fluffed up at all.

Cannot find the tailspot blenny.

All that is left of the mystery wrasse is mostly bones.

Frogspawn melted, only a few small tentacles.

Everything else looks like it may recover.

Nick's Reef

Dang, sorry to hear that henry, it was 100 degrees+ for a few days this week here in FL, luckily we keep the house cool, around 75-77. Hopefully what did survive will pull through.

Wow, that sucks. I got home to see 85 degree temps in my tank so I turned the halide off. Looks like everything pulled through fine in my tank.

Needreefunds

Aw sheet Henry Sorry to hear this.

Good luck and I hope everything else pulls through.

Hang in there

Thanx all. Temp we 86 at five o'clock and now at 9:15 is 82. fish are swimming better and not breathing as hard. Gorg polyps are now extending.

Everything looks so pissed though. Am glad I have been vodka dosing and using Prodibio. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are still all undetectable. Still don't see the tailspot though so the wrasse and he are probably CUC dinner. I know the wrasse was as all I see is bones left. Milli's are good. Green slimmer has some tissue loss but for the most part looks okay. Chalice has lost some of it's brightness. Sunset monti polyps are not extended like usual but still some.

All in all my biggest losses look to be the wrasse, blenny and the birdsnests and frogspawns.

Damn!!!!

shrimphombre

It could've been worse, but this sucks. It was 101 in tx today, gotta keep an eye on those temps!

Atlantis Reef

Try Quincy IL it has been 95 plus every day this week with heat index of 110+ and I landscape for a living HEHE Hope you get the air fixed

A/C is done. Got a high efficiency unit that qualifies for a tax credit.House is cooling as we speak. Thank you all for caring.

So the temps in Michigan the last couple of days have been in the upper 80's low 90's. Found out our air conditioner needed to be replaced. They did it this evening. Running now thank goodness.

However looked in the tank yesterday and temp was 82 ish. Go home from work today, the temp in the house is 92 and the tank is at 86. Immediately turn off the halide, get a fan and a bag of ice to bring it down.

However have lost the following;

Largeish purple birdsnest total RTN.

Green polyped birdsnest not looking so good.

One acan colony looking melted, the other not fluffed up at all.

Cannot find the tailspot blenny.

All that is left of the mystery wrasse is mostly bones.

Frogspawn melted, only a few small tentacles.

Everything else looks like it may recover.

Amazing, the same thing happened to me today, i lost my giant blue clam, and so far a koko worm... im thinking of buying a chiller unit, i cant keep loosing my reef buddies... besides they are only about 150bucks for a 28 nano ;0)

Thanx all. Temp we 86 at five o'clock and now at 9:15 is 82. fish are swimming better and not breathing as hard. Gorg polyps are now extending.

Everything looks so pissed though. Am glad I have been vodka dosing and using Prodibio. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are still all undetectable. Still don't see the tailspot though so the wrasse and he are probably CUC dinner. I know the wrasse was as all I see is bones left. Milli's are good. Green slimmer has some tissue loss but for the most part looks okay. Chalice has lost some of it's brightness. Sunset monti polyps are not extended like usual but still some.

All in all my biggest losses look to be the wrasse, blenny and the birdsnests and frogspawns.

Damn!!!!

yeah i live in TX and latley weve been in the 95-100's and with out a AC my tank gets 86+ and for somereason my corals and fish are all alive and i used 2 different thermometers to measure temp. but i run my AC 24/7 or try to, i have someone in my house who doesnt like to waste electricity so when i leave my room and its empty either the door is open to get air from living room ac or door is closed and it gets hot in my room.

Amazing, the same thing happened to me today, i lost my giant blue clam, and so far a koko worm... im thinking of buying a chiller unit, i cant keep loosing my reef buddies... besides they are only about 150bucks for a 28 nano ;0)

Which unit are you looking at weaselphd?

switched my lights to the evening..when the house is less hot. Helps to keep the tanks cool during the day when its warmest outside..at least until it cools down again..

Sorry to hear about that. When I started to see temps going up and footage of roads buckling in Michigan, I started to wonder how some people would be doing. In Florida we just expect some hot weather. We had heat index of 105-110 for almost a full week and, with thunderstorms, I had two power failures but came out ok as the house really is pretty efficient and temps didn't go up while the power was out. Seeing this post, I know why a lot of the locals swear by their controllers. Even if it is just the RKL

(http://www.digitalaquatics.com/saltwater/RKL). I need to consider this I think. Heater and lights are all I need but seems like a lot given the start to this summer.

Sorry to hear that Spanko. My tank has been bumping 83 this week, but thats mainly because the AC is set to 80 during the day when no one is home. Gets that little opportunity to climb, but doesn't get out of control. Fingers crossed though that nothing happens.

The_Yellow_Pony

I keep my AC on all day in the summer....kills the electric bill but I must deal with it.

It helps keep everything comfortable.

BTW, now that I look at the thread title, it sounds like a personal ad :P

Sorry to hear that Spanko. My tank has been bumping 83 this week, but thats mainly because the AC is set to 80 during the day when no one is home. Gets that little opportunity to climb, but doesn't get out of control. Fingers crossed though that nothing happens.

Thanx Evil.

I keep my AC on all day in the summer....kills the electric bill but I must deal with it.

It helps keep everything comfortable.

BTW, now that I look at the thread title, it sounds like a personal ad :P

sm_rofl.gif

Yep...it's been pretty toasty here in Michigan this week. I started running my a/c a couple days ago and still noticed my tank was a couple degrees above normal. It sucks that you had such a dramatic temp swing in such a short time. I'm sorry for your losses and hope the rest recovers well for you.

Thanx mkregs. It was really since Monday with no A/C so the heat must have built up.

So the question in my mind now is do I rescape, take the Occy's back to LFS for credit (They are starting to get big and hurt when they bite, take the Foxface back for store credit and start fresh with what coral is left and the Bali Tiger Jawfish.........................hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

One of the few benefits of living in a Mile High City. Hyper active unpredictable wheather, but rarely above 90. Boo yah.

Sorry to hear the loss of the blenny, wrasse, and birdsnest. It's crazy how finicky our small little reefs can be, especially relating to temperature. Sounds like everything else is a little pissed but should pull through.

I'm always scared about temps getting too high, especially since it was 100 (115 w/heat index) this past weekend and it's supposed to be blazing hot again this weekend. Of course we have our A/C cranking all day at 73 so that helps to keep things in check.

Like everyone said, could have been worse although I know that's little consolation. Let me know if there is anyway that I can help, from 900 miles away :) and I'm glad to see it wasn't worse, like what happened to Masterbuilder.

One of the few benefits of living in a Mile High City. Hyper active unpredictable wheather, but rarely above 90. Boo yah.

whatever.gif

it's been hot here too, my a/c is struggling to keep the house at 84!

tank is running at 85, no livestock though so ...

whatever.gif

:) :)

angelacbishop

I lost my tailspot when my tank got up to 88 a few weeks ago. My birdsnests were looking bad too but they came back after a few days. Those two must be extra sensitive to high temps I'm guessing because besides that and the mushrooms looking shriveled, everything else did just fine.

Archived