SaltCritters.com

Daniel's 4 year old 55g "four foot beast" *updated 09/09/09*

Thunil

Hey N-R.

I've been a member her for a fair while (since '04) I dont post all that much but I check and browse almost everyday. Anyway I gave my tank a WC today and thought it'd be a good opportunity to post some pics and start a journal (albeit 4 yrs late)

I started this tank in '05 when I was 14, and made a fair few mistakes with it.

This is how it looked then

untitled1.jpg

This was it in '07

IMGP0689.jpg

and current pics are a bit further down

Currently the tank is running:

2x koralia copies 3000l/h each (plus return from fuge)

2x 20,000k 150watt halides

reef octopus hang on skimmer, i forgot the number, will check tomorrow

And a 20g sump/fuge

I'm not dosing anything (don't, as of yet, have a huge amount of SPS so calcium doesn't drop quickly) I just do 20 litre water changes every week and that keeps my levels in check

Fish list is:

2x Occelaris clowns (black one is male, orange female, they spawn every couple of weeks)

1x Male Exquisite wrasse

1x Sixline wrasse (he's going to be sent to the frag tank as soon as i can catch him)

1x chromis

1x Western Australian carpet blenny (Istiblennius meleagris)

I'm thinking I'll look for a potters angelfish after the sixline goes in the frag tank and a longnose hawk

anyway, onto the good part... pics

Here's a FTS

IMGP2294.jpg

and a nicer shot of the RHS:

IMGP2390.jpg

Fishies:

B&W clown

IMGP2406.jpg

Orange clown

IMGP2414.jpg

Chromis and exquisite wrasse

IMGP2388.jpg

best pic I could get of the sixline

IMGP2377.jpg

blenny

IMGP2321.jpg

And here's a pic of the latest batch of clown eggs with the proud father

IMGP2392.jpg

Corals:

Cataphyllia (picked this up from a LR tank, it's coming along nicely)

IMGP2400.jpg

Some green shrooms that I can never focus on

IMGP2354.jpg

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can ID these as to what species they are

My massive Rhodactis (I'm starting to get nervous about my fish with this guy getting as big as he is)

IMGP2311.jpg

My red and blue shrooms

IMGP2309.jpg

Sarcophyton and Moseleya

IMGP2302.jpg

My sarco frag that ws done over a year ago

IMGP2308.jpg

Torch

IMGP2304.jpg

Trachy (pics a bit over exposed, the colour is better in real life)

IMGP2307.jpg

Turbinara

IMGP2313.jpg

Forgotten the name of this guy and I'm too lazy to check atm

IMGP2314.jpg

My first successful SPS frag, I've had it for around about 1 month and its coloured up really well and encrusting nicely. I think my old one didn't do well because of my flow (both volume and pattern or lack there of)

IMGP2315.jpg

and lastly a nice blue/purple macro that's shown up on my 4 yr old LR

IMGP2384.jpg

Anyway, that's my tank to date, thanks for looking and feel free to leave any comments you see fit

Daniel

thanks for the comment, I love your 40br. I prefer to think of my tank as "filling" in, still plenty of room left on the LHS as I had a fair bit of trouble with the ballast, ignitor and bit that holds the globe in the past but now it's all running smoothly so I'm thinking I need to add some more corals over there, haha

Daniel

thanks nebthet. NR is a top site, been lovin it for a while but never really posted much. (as you can see, ~300 pots in ~5 years, haha)

definitely keen on acans, and they are pretty cheap here in Australia. The only problem is that the majority of acans you see are larger colonies and I prefer frags, but I guess I could always buy colonies and frag them down, haha. Thanks for the suggestion

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I finally got around to getting a card reader so I can finally upload some new pics taken on the 31st of July. But first some written updates.

I had a bit of a fish disaster a while ago, I lost 3 fish. First to go was my whitetail angel. I accidentally left my hood off while I was at work one saturday and came home to find him on the ground, I quickly picked him up and moved him backwards and forwards in the water but it was pretty obvious that he was well and truly dead.

Next was my exquisite wrasse. He always ate well but never gained weight, possibly an internal parasite. I think that this and bullying from the sixline killed him but I never found a body. He may have jumped through the eggcrate and my new kitten could have gotten him.

I also lost my Blenny. I'm not sure how he died but I found him one morning perfectly intact but dead. I saw that my cataphyllia had dropped a decent sized bud the night before I found him and that disappeared so he may have eaten it. Could this have killed him?

Anyway onto the good news. All my other fish are doing well. My clowns lay new eggs each week or two, chromis and sixline are happy and healthy but I want to get the sixline out and into my frag tank.

Here are the pics:

FTS

IMGP2482.jpg

new corals from GB on an aussie forum

Pocilloporas

IMGP2523.jpg

IMGP2484.jpg

Possibly a millepora?

IMGP2483.jpg

a couple of acros

IMGP2488.jpg

IMGP2485.jpg

IMGP2492.jpg

Here are a newish acro and shroom that I picked up from my LFS a couple of weeks ago. I'm really happy with the growth the acro is showing

IMGP2517.jpg

IMGP2447.jpg

(sorry for the blurriness but I couldn't focus on him)

and an orange plate (again sorry for the blurriness I'll try to get a better pick soon)

IMGP2494.jpg

better pic of my trachy, colours are pretty close to real in this one

IMGP2504.jpg

and lastly a pick of my favourite acro, you can see some nice growth especially around the base and the branch coming forward. SOrry about the darkness

IMGP2518.jpg

As you can see in the FTS I ran out of aqua-knead it so that's the reason that some of the new additions are still on eggcrate

anyway thanks for looking and as always any comments are greatly

appreciated.

Cheers,

Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

Orange plate is awesome, I have one too!

Looks like the SPS bug bit you.. won't be long until you start another tank to throw all your softies in so you can get more SPS!

sorry guys, haven't updated in a while, been pretty busy starting at a new university this semester. but here's an update...WITH PICS!!!

Tanks still going really well. I've been keeping up with the weekly 20 odd litre water changes.

I got a new fish, Long nose hawkfish. I've wanted one for a while and glad I waited for this guy. He'd been at the LFS for 3 months, eats like a pig and is generally awesome. The LFS I picked him up from was equally awesome. I was told by one of the managers that they quarantine all their fish when they come in and won't put them on sale until they are eating prepared foods. It was my first visit to this LFS and I was very pleased

Onto other news, a few of my newer sps frags were a bit brown when these pics were taken but they are colouring up now (looks like i'll need some updated photos, haha). I blame this on myself, leaving them down low on a makeshift frag rack for too long.

Final note is that my black tubastrea got nastily stung by my torch coral one day when I was at uni, he lost quite a bit of flesh but has now been moved and has picked up quite a bit

Here are some pics:

FTS as of the 20/08/2009

IMGP2628.jpg

new hawkfish

IMGP2654.jpg

finally a decent pick of the sixline

IMGP2604.jpg

and a decent pick of the chromis

IMGP2619.jpg

onto the corals

sps

IMGP2631.jpg

the next two actually have more of a greeny/blue tinge to them than in the pics

IMGP2632.jpg

IMGP2633.jpg

IMGP2634.jpg

IMGP2635.jpg

Can't wait till this guy gets some green back

IMGP2661.jpg

IMGP2594.jpg

Cataphyllia

IMGP2611.jpg

The torch that is growing every day

IMGP2646.jpg

Trachy

IMGP2609.jpg

orange plate coral

IMGP2642.jpg

little zoa and rhodactis rock from GB, the rhodactis look like they should be getting some nice colours,

IMGP2638.jpg

'shroom garden

IMGP2658.jpg

To finish up with, some growth shots of my first SPS

25/06/09

IMGP2315.jpg

01/08/09

IMGP2518.jpg

19/08/09

IMGP2594.jpg

Thanks for looking, and any comments/questions/suggestions are really appreciated.

Cheers,

Daniel

I was doing a water change today and decided it was a good chance to take some cool top down shots, let mee know what you think.

IMGP2678.jpg

IMGP2680.jpg

IMGP2681.jpg

IMGP2684.jpg

IMGP2687.jpg

IMGP2688.jpg

and my favourite coral

IMGP2686.jpg

Any body have any tips for getting rid of the reflection from the lights without turning them off?

Cheers,

Daniel

maybe try a CPL (circular polarizing filter) will take the reflection away completely.. allthough i think it depends on your camera wweather you can use it or not.. also maybe look in the setting like sport and night and portrait, and set it to "window" if you have it..

Update with new stock

Tanks still going strong. Got some new additions.

Picked up a $69 maxima, sps frag and zooanthid frag from an aussie online shop. All were shipped perfectly and arrived in awesome health.

I also bought a piranha algae magnet which is the best $50 I've ever spent.

Lastly, I picked up a little scopas tang from my LFS last Thursday, he is also going really well, eating everything like a pig.

Onto pics.

Firstly, Updated FTS:

(sorry bout the reflection)

IMGP2692.jpg

New maxima:

IMGP2700.jpg

IMGP2703.jpg

new zoanthids:

IMGP2707.jpg

new SPS, pic doesnt do it justice has more of an over all yellowish colour with pale blue surrounding the polyps

IMGP2712.jpg

clownfish eggs:

IMGP2716.jpg

New scopas:

IMGP2722.jpg

IMGP2730.jpg

these pics show the improving colour of my SPS frags:

this

IMGP2725.jpg

compared to what it used to be

IMGP2633.jpg

still waiting for this guy to get some more green but he looks to be a quick grower, most of his tips are already forking

IMGP2717.jpg

earlier photo

IMGP2661.jpg

see the difference?

Last photos are of my fave sps, he grows pretty quickly:

from this on the 25/06/09

IMGP2315.jpg

to this today

IMGP2719-1.jpg

I love how green his polyps are becoming

and that's it for photos

Just a quick Q for everyone, does my clam look like it's gaping. It looks wide to me but he still responds really quickly to stimuli and can close up quickly. Also he's still showing the fronds on the edge of his intake siphon.

Thanks for looking comments always appreciated.

Daniel

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I managed to crack the back pane when re-doing some plumbing and lost all of my SPS frags, so I had to get a new tank and swap everyhting over. Dont know why but a day or two after the swap I lost most of my other corals, So all I have in there atm is the female clown, longnose hawk and scopas, the clam is still going strong and so are my leathers. After I had the mini crash I ogt a bit disheartened and had uni exams so the tank got a bit neglected.

Getting back into it now though, kust finished making the sump so I should have that up and running in a ocuple of days, Thanks for looking

Archived