SaltCritters.com

Best glass cleaner?

pcgibson

masterbuilder

Distilled White Vinegar. Found in any grocery store. Cost almost nothing, cleans glass better than anything, no haze left behind, non toxic to your tank. Thats one reason some flavors of windex say, vinegar formula.

YES

vinegar.jpg

NO

windex.jpg

I won't buy off the shelf chemical cleaners for anything in my house...yuk, nasty stuff. Vinegar and water is way better and way better for you and the environment.

I'm going to try the vinegar. Thanks so much for all of the advice. This is a awesome forum so much help. It make reef keeping so much more enjoyable.

Thank you all.

I use aquarium glass cleaner...its basically vinegar and water. I just bought it for the convient spray bottle and fancy label. Definatly wouldnt risk using windex on several thousand dollars of livestock.

I won't buy off the shelf chemical cleaners for anything in my house...yuk, nasty stuff. Vinegar and water is way better and way better for you and the environment.

Hippie!

jk

Ro/Di water

Haha... that might be taking it a little far...

I've been cleaning my tank with windex (well, the cheap brand) for years & years and no problems whatsoever... I do have a 3/4 glass top though. If you're concerned, vinegar as others said works well, also consider using newspaper... just spray on some water and wipe it off with a wad of newspaper, works wonders... Your windex bottle might also have a setting for a stream rather than a mist, which would probably keep the stuff out of your tank well enough...

I clean the outside of my aquarium the same way I have cleaned all my reptile and aracnid tanks over the years. One wet paper towel to wipe clean and one clean dry one to wipe dry and streakfree.

Lately I quit using paper towels and cut up some old soft pajamas. I wash them with only a little detergent and no fabric softener or they will smear. Dry with no fabric sheets either. I found if I keep a clean one around when I view the tank it keeps the glass the cleanest by itself with no problems. Just always wipe off the saltwater first. Then buff. Great for photography. 1 pair of old pjs can make a stack of rags. If you wash with your towels your not even using any more water then you would anyway.

like are we still talking about windex here? Use it.. dont' DOSE it..

To weigh in on the windex I have used it many times. I even sprayed it on the glass. Just don't get it in the water. This quote was taken from the first google result when you search "windex and ammonia". Still just don't get it in the water.

"Thanks to its key ingredient, ammonia-d ®, windex ® original works great for fast and easy cleaning of tough dirt and grime."

BloodyBandage

thx for the heads up on the Vinegar...I usually use Windex or some type of generic cleaner as well and just hose it off thoroughly so there are no chemicals left in the tank.

janussolutions

You could try water and paper towels to clean the glass and then use a microfiber cloth to polish it, which cost around 7 bucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived