SaltCritters.com

My 3 Gal Tom's Pico

gkarris

Well, I'm doing a tank again.

I had a 20 Gal long back in the day of undergravel tow filters, and was laughed at for having a saltwater tank under 55 Gal... I did use two really powerful powerheads and good lighting (at the time) as well as an external filter box.

I did really well with it with a few fish, then a LFS started getting something called "live rock" in and that really made the tank do well. But had to take it down since I needed my desk for telecommuting.

Well, now with all these LFS with Corals, Fish, Inverts, Live Rock, even pre-mixed saltwater. Gosh, where's the effort?

All this high-tech stuff like lighting, small external filtering, small powerheads, enables small and pico reef tanks - I just couldn't resist!

Well, finally got my tank all set up tonight (had to get a GFCI plug) and ready for live rock and live sand tomorrow!

Whoo, hooo!

After this, on to a 1.5 Gal Pico!!!

Empty_Tank.jpg

^^^^

Thanks!

Now with live rock and live sand.

Experimenting with the water flow and direction - changes the sandscape!!!

Live_Rock_Sand.jpg

Test water today -tank has cycled.

Want mainly Corals and a couple clean-up critters.

Any suggestions?

Trip to LFS on Wed... :)

demonclownfish

i can tell you one thing although your params read out ok your tank is not cycled. you still have some phases to go through. once you get to the hair algae phase then you can add in some cuc but you should add anything except a zoa frag and a mushroom or two till then... sorry i know but it is worth the wait to have everything happy and healthy.

i can tell you one thing although your params read out ok your tank is not cycled. you still have some phases to go through. once you get to the hair algae phase then you can add in some cuc but you should add anything except a zoa frag and a mushroom or two till then... sorry i know but it is worth the wait to have everything happy and healthy.

Thanks for the feedback!

I know things are much different now compared to UG filters and using a Damsel to cycle...

So what is a good first livestock to add? I was looking at some frags just earlier today at a LFS....

I know it takes a lot of time... got some wierd tubular polyp starting up from one of the rocks...

demonclownfish

try getting a couple zoa frags and a green striped mushroom. will make your tank very colorful.(you can try a ricordea if you like but not sure how long in the cycle that they need).

try getting a couple zoa frags and a green striped mushroom. will make your tank very colorful.(you can try a ricordea if you like but not sure how long in the cycle that they need).

Thanks, going to my favorite LFS to get a frag. Nice to have it so far away and a special trip is needed - helps to space out stocking the tank.

AFA CUC, I was looking at that little polyp this evening and right by it is a tiny snail doing his thing...

MY PICO IS ALIVE!!! :o

Agreed on the Green striped mushrooms.

I think the blue mushrooms are pretty hardy too. They're the fastest growing in my tank and very pretty too.

Just make sure to add things a little bit at a time at first because your tank will have a mini cycle every time you add life and they are more pronounced in pico tanks because the volume of water is smaller.

Archived