diystand1.jpg

stand5-17001.jpg

stand5-17004.jpg

stand5-17.jpg

20lbuild-5-20-09004.jpg

20lbuild-5-20-09003.jpg

20lbuild-5-20-09005.jpg

LR1.jpg

And heres the tank that I will be upgrading from.

5-11-09014.jpg

So let me know what you think. And give me some ideas.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys yeah water soon, I just put a few more beads of silicone on the sump so hopefully I'll be ready to do some leak testing this weekend.

Well I drilled the bottom for the return and started leak testing and right away it was leaking through the bottom into the overflow chamber. So water out and I'm waiting for it to dry so I can fix.

Nice looking build. What's the size of the tank your going from, and what's the size and dimensions of the acrylic build your going to?

Well heres a pic of the return set-up

20lbuild-5-27-09.jpg

Unfortunately I probably won't get much done until after the weekend. ( going away for the weekend ) But I do plan on hanging the light fixture before then.

Oh by the way this is my first acrylic tank, any tips on how to keep it clean without scratching it?

• 2 months later...

Well 3 months later I finally got around to working on the tank. Unfortunately my 10 gal isn't doing so hot. Hopefully I can get this tank up and running soon.

My homemade skimmer looks to be doing its job.

skimmer_1st_test2.JPG

skimmer_1st_test.JPG

I added some rock and sand that I've had laying around. I also ordered another 20lb of sand and I will be moving most of the rock from the 10 gal over when I make the switch.

The sump with skimmer and return pump running.

sump8-3-09.JPG

20L_stand_side_8-3-09.JPG

20L_stand_front_8-3-09.JPG

Hung the Light this morning.

20L_setup2_8-3-09.JPG

20L_setup_8-3-09.JPG

Well today I got about 10 lbs of live rock for free =) And my sand should be in tomorrow.

I also build a ATO, its working great.

ATO_build_2.JPG

ATO_build_1.JPG

Pics from the ATO build. I used 2 float switches in series. A 12v power supply and relay. And Aqua Lifter pump.

Cost me about 25$ for the float switches and relay, everything else I had laying around. :D

20L_8-9-09.JPG

The tank with some sand, alittle more rock and K1.

And heres the electrical setup Ive been working on.

tankelec.JPG

16 Outlets all together. Everything runs through the gfi.

8 always on - Heaters

- Moon lights

- Chiller and Chiller pump

- Supply power for ATO pump

4 wired to switches - Main return pump

- Powerhead

- Skimmer

- Water change pump

4 wired to timers - Main 150 MH Light

- T5 Attinics

- Fuge Light

- ATO ( runs 4 times a day for 10 mins each, I dont like to leave it on all the time because the relay starts to chatter)

Ok sad news, my 150 MH is shorted and the timer is screwed up. I dont know if the timer is screwed up because of the light shorting or if the light shorted because of the timer. Most likely I'll be ordering a new ballast soon.

Well I'm so pissed off with the cadlights light that I've decided to build my own fixture. Its like 10lbs of sht in a 5 lb bag. So I'm going to use the parts to build a more maintenance friendly fixture. I'll put up some pics when I start the build.

Archived