Coral Vue Hydros

DIY Emperor 280 Fuge

NANOYED

Hey guys, I set up a 10 gal frag tank a couple of months ago with mostly stuff I had laying around. The filter I used is a Emperor 280. I know everyone says the wheels are no good for saltwater, but IMO they are great filters. Personally I have never had any issues with any I have owned. I wanted to add a fuge to this tank and didn't want add an in tank or another hob.

I made an eggrate basket to fit behind the first filter cartridge. I just used some crazy glue and zip ties (I know it's not pretty, but who is going to see it)

emperor_fuge_1.gif

Next I got a submergible light and 40gph pump combo from ebay. The pump fits nice and snug down at the bottom of the basket.

emperor_fuge_2.gif

I filled the bottom of the basket with some LR rubble and put cheato above that. I need a little more rubble in there, I think.

emperor_fuge_3.gif

Final product!

emperor_fuge_4.gif

Let me know what you think!

Great stuff! I constructed a quick fuge for my 280 a few months back, but nothing this elaborate! Are you experiencing any flooding or backup problems so far with the pump? My latter model I built was shallow and wide, taking up space in my first chamber for my filter pad, not giving me much room and it posed a problem so I gave up. Yours is great though! I must steal this idea from you :D.

To answer your question, in my 1 year, going on strong experience, more LR rubble! The extra room will give your copepods,worms and other small critters a place to hide and reproduce if the pump isn't creating a large flow. Detritus "may" be a concern if you use small pieces of rubble, but I rarely hear any issue for the small size. I see you have taken a step ahead and added the pump to stop detritus from germinating.

One thing I would add once I set this up this week, is some Chemipure Elite. Maybe to the left of the pump? Under all the live rubble. It will clean up what the rubble didn't and house a cleaner environment for your pods and such, leaving your tank "looking" clean too!

Question: Can I get the sellers name on Ebay for the light/pump combo? Great fixture!

Thanks Reefnub2, I don't have any overflow or back up issues. The 40 gph pump is perfect for this size fuge. I'm going to add some more rubble this weekend. Here is the link:

pump & light combo you just can't beat the price, anywhere else this was $30 plus.

Wow, only 9 bucks? That's a steal! Is the pump quiet? Are you seeing any growth with only a 5 watt bulb?

Wow, only 9 bucks? That's a steal! Is the pump quiet? Are you seeing any growth with only a 5 watt bulb?

I put the pump in the sink to test it and couldn't even tell it was on. The pump is adjustable, but the 40gph is perfect. I have only had it set for a couple of days, so time will tell. I have seen plenty of people here that have had success with a 5 watt.

• 4 weeks later...

6/8/09 update.

Well I have had excellent cheato growth and a ton of pods. I have removed the biowheel not because of high nitrates, but rather micro bubbles. I removed the spray bar and took a piece of eheim tubing I had laying around and luckily it fit right in the hole. Words of wisdom "remove the spray bar with the filter OFF." Nothing like a saltwater shower!!

The tubing doesn't leak at all, I have had it in for a couple of weeks, it makes a great seal. I put the hose behind the filter pad so the water gets filtered. If you need the water movement in the tank, there is quite a bit of flow that comes out of it, so you could just run the hose into the tank somewhere.

emperor_fuge_5.gif

Archived