Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

FS: Jawfish Condos (PVC+Barnacle)

Bonsai

Back in December, I created a DIY Jawfish Condo based on Stony Water's design. I created it before I bought my Blue Spotted Jawfish in hopes that he would take to the Condo and make it his own. I can happily say that it definitely worked! He lives in it, sleeps in it, and is very protective of it.

I absolutely love it - and it looks great in my BioCube. I'm not selling the Condo that's in my BioCube.

When I originally bought the Barnacle Cluster for this project, I only used one of the shells, so I've used the remaining pieces to build two more Barnacle Condos.

Granted, you can do this yourself, it's a fun DIY Project. But if you're interested in just picking one up that is fully assembled and ready to go, I have two of these which look similar to this photo.

Fully Assembled

barnaclehouseuz3.jpg

In Action

jawfish-coming.jpg

I have Two. You can purchase one for $20, which includes shipping anywhere in the US.

PM me if you want one. Enjoy!

scottyreef

very cool i might get one from you in a month or so when i get my tank fully stocked

FREE BUMP

You know these only cost 3 bucks to make right?

Thanks for your valuable input. Yes, as stated above, this is a fun DIY project, I just happen to have a couple of these pre-made, so I'm offering them to the community in case anyone wants a ready-to-go option.

The price includes shipping.

how big is it i have a 12gallon eclipse with a yellowhead jawfish in there and i think this would be awesome to have.

how big is it i have a 12gallon eclipse with a yellowhead jawfish in there and i think this would be awesome to have.

The footprint is 6" x 4" ... rectangle.

Not a cool thing to do to come in and crap on his thread imo.

"Unsolicited negative or argumentative comments about items for sale, or prices of items, are not permissible. Violation of this rule may result in revocation of classified forum access, suspension of posting ability, or account suspension"

Very cool Idea Bonsai.

I think there is something called labor added to his price.

how thick is your sad bed?

Probably about 2" - 3" ... when I installed my Jawfish Condo, I pushed the PVC down to the bottom glass ... so your sand bed should be at least as deep as the Condo is high (the PVC part, at least) as to conceal the PVC that goes under the sand.

Very cool idea. Did he take to it right away or did it take some getting used to? Very cool.

He did, but I sort of didn't give him a choice. Check my BC29 thread in the signature, I have photos of how I convinced him it was his best home in the BC29 before he had a chance to explore :)

DiverReefer

Is the barnacle/pipe connection fully sealed?

No sand or rock gets in or out except through the main hole, correct?

There is sand in one hole because it is only a one hole entrance?

Is the barnacle/pipe connection fully sealed?

No sand or rock gets in or out except through the main hole, correct?

There is sand in one hole because it is only a one hole entrance?

Hi DiveReefer,

The epoxy that holds the barnacle to the PVC seals it. The other side is a false-door, yes.

But remember, this is a Jawfish home, they bring sand and rock into the enclosure all the time. So if anything were to fall in, they'd clean it out.

On another note, one of these two available Jawfish Condos is pending. So I have one remaining at the moment.

After I saw your original post I made one for the Bali Tiger Jawfish I was purchasing. He never took to it, I was afraid he was going to stress after about an hour in a tupperware container that he never left to go into the barnacle it sat over so I let him out. He never went back to it and now resides in his own set of self made tunnels.

However my Tailspot blenny has recently proclaimed squatters rights and now resides there.

01ts3.jpg

Oh well!!!!

Thank you for the great idea clever.gifand to those naysayers on pricing...................zipit.gif

Do you think it's an issue pushing this into established sandbeds? I'd be worried about disturbing the sand to much and getting a spike.

Do you think it's an issue pushing this into established sandbeds? I'd be worried about disturbing the sand to much and getting a spike.

If you were to place it in the sandbed of an established tank I would definitely do it in conjunction with a water change. Just siphon the sandbed where you plan on putting it to get rid of the big pieces of detrius place your jawfish house and cover with sand. The displacement of the house will make up for lost sand that you siphoned out. You may also want to have some carbon on hand in case your corals look stressed out afterwards, but i doubt you'd have any problems if you do it right.

One purchase confirmed and paid. I have one more available for $20, PM me if you're interested, and thanks in advance!

kamikaze_fish

These are pretty cool and I think more people should consider selling some of their DIY products.

If you were to place it in the sandbed of an established tank I would definitely do it in conjunction with a water change. Just siphon the sandbed where you plan on putting it to get rid of the big pieces of detrius place your jawfish house and cover with sand. The displacement of the house will make up for lost sand that you siphoned out. You may also want to have some carbon on hand in case your corals look stressed out afterwards, but i doubt you'd have any problems if you do it right.

Good advice - I personally didn't notice a problem when I installed mine, but I was careful not to cause a storm of sand particles. I simply placed it in the desired location, then slowly wiggled it into the sand until it hit the glass below.

These are sold - however more people wanted one, so I ordered more Barnacles to make more. If you'd like one ... let me know.

Archived