SaltCritters.com

Custom Skimmer For JBJ HQI - Need Advice!

nerbaneth

Hi!

I have been making this design in sketch up for the last few days and would like advice to make it better! I really dislike the JBJ Skimmer that it comes with mainly because you cannot open the lid when it is in!

You will notice the collection cup is TINY. This is because I need to make room for the lid to open and the water level would be above the collection cup if I made it any deeper. There will be a drain to solve this problem.

This is a needlewheel skimmer and the air valve controls how much air I let into the wheel. The T valve adjusts how much water I let into the skimmer. The powerhead is the Accela pump that comes with the JBJ HQI 28gal. Everything is to scale to the best of my ability. The Pump - Out tube will be made of vynl braided tubing. Everything else will be Acrylic except for the circular pieces which will be pvc (probably white unless the plastic place in town can sell me some scraps)

The wierd floating white wall is the wall that separates the middle chamber in the JBJ from the protein skimmer chamber. The pump will sit in the protein skimmer chamber

Some important dimensions I can think of off the top of my head:

The bottom of the protein skimmer to the top of the collection cup is 12.5 inches

The protein skimmer is 2.5 inches thick

Most of the acrylic will be 1/4 inch except the bubble trap will have 1/8 inch acrylic

I really have no idea what I am doing beyond some basic DIY skillz. My knowledge of protein skimmers goes back 2 days when I got frustrated opening the tank with the skimmer in it. I am not even sure this will skim the water, so I hope you guys can tell me what to change to make it better/more efficient!

skimmer1-1.jpg

Here's a picture of the side so you can see the outflow from the skimmer:

skimmer12.jpg

My girlfriend pointed out that the bubble trap is upside down and that the foam near the top would send dirty water into my out take instead of clean water. Should I flip it?

My girlfriend pointed out that the bubble trap is upside down and that the foam near the top would send dirty water into my out take instead of clean water. Should I flip it?

Yes flip the bubble trap and lower the intake port to about 1/3 of the total height of the skimmer. this will put your outflow at the bottom and give your bubbles a little more time in the reaction chamber to work. you will need to drill a hole or something at the top of the bubble trap to let air buildup out. You might get some ideas here HCSCEO skimmer and tank build You might look at my collection cup design it will be much easier to manufacture.

Yes flip the bubble trap and lower the intake port to about 1/3 of the total height of the skimmer. this will put your outflow at the bottom and give your bubbles a little more time in the reaction chamber to work. you will need to drill a hole or something at the top of the bubble trap to let air buildup out. You might get some ideas here HCSCEO skimmer and tank build You might look at my collection cup design it will be much easier to manufacture.

Oo0oh! I didn't see this when I searched NR. 9 pages of very helpful info and a REALLY cool AIO DIY tank(very professional)- I like.

I really like how you made the top. My design with PVC would make it look ugly(even though skimmers are already full of sea scum)

Is it possible you have the sketch-up files for your latest skimmer design?

My goal is to have the top of the skimmer at a constant height. Will the T valve on the output of the power head suffice?

In your mod, you said you were going to make some changes to that guy's maxi-jet mesh mod. I will most certainly be watching your post for that!

Sorry about all the questions, but that is what you get when you tell someone to read their 9 page post. :P

Archived