Top Shelf Aquatics

any opnions on this?

John_A

Back in the day I bought a 110gpd unit off ebay for $150. Not sure what the going rate now is, but what you linked to seems like a good deal to me. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more info though.

not a good deal ...only get ro systems with see thru filters not solid white plastic ones... you can email me tommroow i will explain as Im about to go sleep but hold off buying it few things you should know first

I would second the see through filters,, and # 6 filter being carbon is a waist IMO. I would go with an extra DI in place of the carbon on #6. my filter that i run now doesn't have the see through filters and what a PITA.

Well anyone have one they recommend I cant spend alot right now but I want something that is going to be good and I remember reading some people getting some from here and lilking them so I didnt know

Maybe try a Coralife or Kent they have units that start at around $124 depending on who u buy from. If ur water pressure is low go for one w/the pump too. Extends the life of ur filters and r/o membrane. I use the Coralife 100 gpd unit at work and it seems to work well. However, i've heard that Kent is better but costs a little more. The one thats around $124 is only a 25gpd i think and when u get a pump u have to buy at least a 50gpd and it's around $227..just a bit out of ur price range though...+1 to gettin a clear filter canister saves a lot of time when u check the micron pre-filter for sediments..

AZDesertRat

That one is pretty low end. You get what you pay for.

No one uses granular activated carbon anymore, it has such a short lifespan and is probably exhausted in 300 to 500 total gallons, thats only 60 to 100 good RO/DI gallons and 240-400 waste gallons since all the water passes through the carbon. the second carbon is only a 5 micron to and most better units use a 0.6 micron 20,000 gallons carbon block not 5 microns.

The membrane is a LanShan and is does not have the ANSI/NSF approvals for drinking water in the US, in fact I don't know how they can claim made in the USA when they are not.

Expect to spend around $150-$200 complete for a good reef quality RO/DI system with things like a TDS meter, inline pressure gauge, a name brand RO membrane like a Dow Filmtec 75 GPD, GE Water or Applied Membranes, don't even consider any others and especially stay away from units that do not specify membranes and filters.

A few examples you might consider are:

www.buckeyefieldsupply.com - 75 GPD Premium

www.purelyh2o.com - Optima series

www.airwaterice.com - Typhoon or Typhoon III series

www. thefilterguys.biz - Ocean Reef+1

www.bulkreefsupply.com

www.spectrapure.com - Thye are running a special for RC members right now with a 300 GPD RO system for only $199 and you could add their dual MaxCap DI add on for only $69. Killer deal.

yeah I sure wish I had the money to get something that would be great ::sigh:: but I dont luggin water jugs of water i am not sure is what it says it is sucks :/

Scott Riemer

When I got started, I needed a RO/DI unit for a low price since I couldn't afford anything really expensive. On recommendation, I bought one of >>THESE<< from Filter Direct. It's been a good reliable unit for me for the last 2.5 years. If you go this route, let me know, there's a couple tips I can give you to increase your DI efficiency.

I bought the portable one for $69.00 from PureWaterCLub and it works great. 0 TDS and having no issues with using the RO water in my 12 AquaPod.

Archived