ReefCleaners.org

Our 15Gallon

Newby-Reefer

Newby-Reefer

So this tank has been up and running for a while now but it wasnt ever good enough for me to want to post. Over the past 2 weeks it has really come together so I decided to make a thread for it.

It all started with a trip to Aquarium Illusions one weekend where my girlfriend seen a Clownfish and wanted one. Little did she know I had secretly had the water mixed and ready to go at home all it needed to do was be poured into the aquarium. So after a trip to the airport to pick up some snakes we headed back to Aquarium Illusions to get my girlfriend her Clownfish.

Getting Acclimated

100_2845.jpg

In the new home

100_2877.jpg

100_2878.jpg

Newby-Reefer

Next crushed coral ad added and I bought 2 Maxi-Jet 1200 and Koralia 2 powerheads used . Sorry no pictures. Nothing really happened for about 2 months with this tank.

I went to Golds in Calgary on my way back to Grande Prairie from Taber and while in there I tried my hardest to find a Flame Angel but the only one in there was sold :angry: . So Instead I got a New Wave 24" 4 bulb fixture, 2 Fiji Purple, 1 Actinic, 1 Blue Plus.

New Wave

100_3020.jpg

100_3021.jpg

100_3023.jpg

While there I also scoped out the Live Rock and picked up a Torch frag plus a Candycane.

Torch

100_3026.jpg

100_3000.jpg

Candy Cane

100_3030.jpg

On the one piece of rock some Button Polyps hitched a ride

100_2988.jpg

100_3042.jpg

And a Full Tank Shot for you guys

100_2986.jpg

And the Clownfish

100_3007.jpg

100_3008.jpg

Newby-Reefer

Once again nothing happened over a couple months other than we enjoyed out fish.

I did find out though that we were feeding too much and needed to pick up some Hermits. So a day lined up where myself and my girlfriend had a day off together so off to Edmonton we went. While we were there we spied the centre piece to our aquarium, a Flame Angel. We wanted to stop at one other store, which was a big mistake. No Lights over the fish and the attitude of the owner really threw us off. We wont be going back to Marine Aquaria.

Back to Aquarium Illusions where I spent way too much money. I wont say what I got; I will let the pictures do the talking.

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

100_3254.jpg

6 Line Wrasse

100_3077.jpg

Hammer Coral

100_3063.jpg

100_3215.jpg

100_3255.jpg

100_3137.jpg

Hammer with the 6 Line Wrasse

100_3177.jpg

Firefish

100_3121.jpg

Our Centre Piece

100_3074.jpg

100_3156.jpg

100_3160.jpg

The tank looks good. I see that you have 4 fish in a 15 gallon, I guess that could be OK. I think most would say that is a bit much for that size tank. I have a 34 gallon and only have 5 fish. I like the hammer coral you have also. As for the Flame Angel, a friend of mine has one and it has been known to mess with his corals, so you might want to watch that.

Bruce

Newby-Reefer
The tank looks good. I see that you have 4 fish in a 15 gallon, I guess that could be OK. I think most would say that is a bit much for that size tank. I have a 34 gallon and only have 5 fish. I like the hammer coral you have also. As for the Flame Angel, a friend of mine has one and it has been known to mess with his corals, so you might want to watch that.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. What you dont see in the pics is another 10G worth of water in a sump. I have been watching all my levels and aggression. So far so good.

Yes I am aware of the flames this is why I wanted to add him early. I thought it would be easier to remove a frag he is picking at and know not to add that type of coral, then to add him to a reef tank and have to tear it all apart to get the Flame out. So far he hasn't picked at anything but I don't really have too much.

When i bought the Hammer I only wanted 1 head but they wouldn't bust it up for me. So I just payed for the whole colony. There are even little heads forming inside the colony. I cant wait to see this coral at its full potential.

Just a helfpul FYI....my pygmy angel (coral beauty) didn't bother anything until I added an open brain coral to the tank. Something about that soft fleshiness that it just couldn't resist. Up until then it was a model citizen. I think I've read they like clams too.

Oh Ok, I dodn't know you had a 10g sump. Since that is the case your bio-load should be fine. Once again tank looks good and keep us updated with pics. Good idea with the Flame also!

Bruce

Newby-Reefer

Gena I will keep that in mind. So far the closest he has gotten was packing at the frag disc my Candy cane came on.

Bruce thanks for the compliments. I think I am heading back to the city Friday so keep an eye open on Saturday or Sunday for an update.

Archived