Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bak Pak2R powerhead?!

kidd_77

I just bought the Bak Pak 2R off Craigslist for $25!

Awesome right, I know, but the frigging guy gave me awful powerhead to go with it. What's the point of having this expensive piece of plastic if I cannot get fine bubbles to catch anything in the tank. :huh:

So, I know that a lot of sites and people recommend the MaxiJet 1200 to get the job done, but it looks kinda awkward. I want to know if there's a sleek and simple on out there, that I don't know about.

Any help would be appreciated!

Pete

Carlton'sTank

I have an mj1200 and I couldn't be happier. It is a bit of an eyesore, but I am going for function and it functions well.

A modified mj1200 is the best pump. This is cpr's version of the modified mj1200 - http://images.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~...1135~tab~1.html I've tried both and the mj1200 is the way to go. Yes you're right it's not the best looking pump in the world but it does the best job. I guess the accela pump looks a little better since it's all black.

What do you mean modified? Like the 1600 wavemaker upgrade? Please explain. I'll probably pick up a maxijet very soon! Thanks for the feedback :lol:

What do you mean modified? Like the 1600 wavemaker upgrade? Please explain. I'll probably pick up a maxijet very soon! Thanks for the feedback :lol:

Do you see how the airline tube is connected with the accela pump? You modify your maxijet to imitate that.

Do you see how the airline tube is connected with the accela pump? You modify your maxijet to imitate that.

I did see that on the accela pump, but was curios how you do that with the MaxiJet? Is it hard, do you have to buy any extra parts? Have any pictures?

Also on the bak pak the inlet tube is round, but I have a little round to square adapter, does it matter which pump to use?

I did see that on the accela pump, but was curios how you do that with the MaxiJet? Is it hard, do you have to buy any extra parts? Have any pictures?

Also on the bak pak the inlet tube is round, but I have a little round to square adapter, does it matter which pump to use?

All you need to do is ditch the extra black piece that the airline currently attaches to, drill a little hole right where the intake is, glue an airline nipple where the new hole is and attach your airline to the nipple. I'm not sure about the round to square adapter, maybe it's for a rio pump? If I'm around tonight, I'll try and take some close up pics of the modified MJ. It's really an easy mod.

All you need to do is ditch the extra black piece that the airline currently attaches to, drill a little hole right where the intake is, glue an airline nipple where the new hole is and attach your airline to the nipple. I'm not sure about the round to square adapter, maybe it's for a rio pump? If I'm around tonight, I'll try and take some close up pics of the modified MJ. It's really an easy mod.

That would the shiznet of you could send a pic! Thanks :D

Countryreef

I tried this on my own MJ600 for my CPR Aquafuge and could not get it to suck air. Now I am thinking that my fitting looks different than the one pictured and maybe the air hole inside was not large enough. Anyway, I ended up fitting a small air pump to it and now it works great. I left the protective grate on the inlet.

Thank you for posting this solution. This was immensely helpful.

Archived