Innovative Marine Aquariums

AJ_TSin's Nano Setup

AJ_Tsin

I have recently begun the setup of a 29G Biocube.

post-41698-1234318609_thumb.jpg

I am downsizing my 55 Gallon/25G Sump setup and transferring my reef into the smaller setup.

It has almost completed its cycle (going on 3.5 weeks) There's about 3 inches of live sand, and 30 lbs of liverock (Will be adding about 15 more pounds when I move over the corals), I used a frozen raw shrimp to jumpstart the process. Diatoms are all gone, and Green hair algae is pretty much gone. Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, and Nitrate is about 7. (dropping from 20 in two days.)

The tank is starting to grow coraline again on the rock, and has tons of pods crawling all over the glass and sand.

Right now I am running a typical Fluorescent light, but will be switching to a 250w 20K DE Halide pendant w/Icecap ballast when I am ready to add my corals.

I am running a Nano Koralia powerhead, installed a Hydor Flo on the return, but I am using the stock return pump that comes with a biocube.

I have lined the bottom of the middle chamber with eggcrate and added a fuge filled with cheato that takes up the entire middle chamber. To light this fuge I have scraped the paint off the back glass and used a Xenon Puck light in a gang box on the back. (http://www.pegasusassociates.com/XenonPuckLights.html)

post-41698-1234318639_thumb.jpg

I am running bags of carbon and zeolite where the biocube sponge used to be. (between chamber 2 and 3). I am also using filter floss. In chamber one where the water pours into the middle chamber.

I have my water heater in the third chamber.

I am also running an Aqua C Remora with a Maxi 1200 on the side of the tank.. The pump is submersed in chamber one between the two intake grates, and the return of the skimmer is pouring directly into the display. (Micro Bubbles have mostly gone away, there are still a few but I think they will go away.

post-41698-1234318794_thumb.jpg

I added the carbon, Skimmer and Cheato After the Nitrates Spiked and the other trace elements were gone.

Using R/O water, Calcium is 450. Alk is about 12dkh, Salinity is 1.025.

post-41698-1234318622_thumb.jpg

ANYWAYS...

I want to do this right and keep this tank in pristine condition.

I am adding Zoas, SPS, LPS, and Softies.

A pair of percs, and probably a watchman goby.

Maybe one more fish.

Have I missed anything? Or does anyone have any tips on what to add?

I have a couple extra Maxi Jets (a 400, and a 1200) What is the pros of switching the MJ with the stock pump?

I would appreciate the feedback. And am Excited to enter the Nano reef world.

I have attached some photos as well, sorry for the quality they were taken on an iPhone.

For the record the aquascaping is nowhere near finished I literally just dropped the rocks in there.

Sounds pretty good to me! I found that it is important to monitor the temperture in small tanks. The temperature can flucuate especailly with addition of halides.

Sounds pretty good to me! I found that it is important to monitor the temperture in small tanks. The temperature can flucuate especailly with addition of halides.

Yea I am a bit concerned about heat issues, Especially in the summer however right now it is at a stable temp constantly.

Whats the deal with switching the stock return pump. I have found tons of people who claim you must do it, but no reasons why. Any info?

Also more input would be great.

Carlton'sTank

There are easy ways to control the heat, like with a computer fan, but you will run into evaporation issues. If you cannot be home to top off daily then I suggest getting some type of ATO system. In a smaller tank one gallon of evaporation can change the salinity. If you are gone for the weekend and have your top open you can have huge jumps in your salinity that may risk your livestock. Your setup does look very nice though. Excited to see the finished product.

I would really like some feedback folks... No opinions at all?

Also I have started a blog about this system if anyone is interested.

http://nanobyadrian.blogspot.com/

Anyone have any tips on DIY moonlighting? I will be hanging a Halide pendant from the ceiling and need to find a way to mount moonlights elsewhere

And also I am still wondering whats the big advantage of switching the stock pump with a MJ 1200

Anyone have any tips on DIY moonlighting? I will be hanging a Halide pendant from the ceiling and need to find a way to mount moonlights elsewhere

And also I am still wondering whats the big advantage of switching the stock pump with a MJ 1200

Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

wow! it looks awesome and I love your rock setup.

About replacing the pump, I think it's just for additional flow. Better than needing another obstructive power-head in the tank itself. Most recommend a rio, rather than a mj1200 also.

Also, +1 on the moonlight DIY question... looking into that myself

Thanks for the comments.

The tank is looking good those pics are from the day i put everything in, everything is looking even better now. I am pretty please i love the look of the curved glass on a this biocube. Its awesome.

Your tank is looking good.

People switch to a different pump because of heat issues and reliability. I dont know how accurate that is since I have used my stock pump as a salt mixer for two years now and its still going.

For the moonlights I bought a light bar on ebay for about 25 dollars and attached it with wire to my light. It worked ok as a moonlight adding extra moonlights to my tank.

Your tank is looking good.

People switch to a different pump because of heat issues and reliability. I dont know how accurate that is since I have used my stock pump as a salt mixer for two years now and its still going.

For the moonlights I bought a light bar on ebay for about 25 dollars and attached it with wire to my light. It worked ok as a moonlight adding extra moonlights to my tank.

Since my original posts, I have changed a bunch of things, widened the overflow to chamber 2, added a MJ 1200 with a hydor flo, added another nano koralia, ect.

I have been updating the nano blog much more than this thread, but I suppose i could add things here too.

Anyone else want to comment?

Sure, why not. We have a subforum specifically designed for these threads where you would get more comments.

I have a 24g nano cube, but I feel that I don't need to add a nano koralia in. It's pushing out just the right amount of flow so that nothing get blown too crazily. It's a stock pump. Love how everything is set up.

Archived