Cultivated Reef

My Biorb

stuhow

It is lit using with an LED light designed for the unit. Its going to be a FOWLR system so light is not to important. I am creating flow with the powerhead, there is two nozzles on it, one is pointing into the LR which you can see and the other is pointing towards the surface creating a huge amount of surface movement. The powehead turns over 600 LPH.

The system you see has been rnning now for over 8 months and I have taken my time with the LR and stocking it.

Well I have some bad news, I literally took those photos about 5 hous ago. My CBS was doing fine and wandering as normal, I looked a him a couple of hours ago and it was the same just wandering around. Over the past two days i have seen him a lot more as i think his confidence had grown and didn't feel the ned to hide. Now when i have just gone back I couldn't see him! He was molting so I thought he must have hidden away. But then I noticed him in the corner of my eye stuck to the intake of the powerhead?!?!?!

Hmmm this is worrying as this is my first real loss and I only put him in there 5 days ago. I am absoultly gutted and have scheduled an urgent water test to make sure everything is tickity boo.

My only other thought is perhaps he wandered too close to the powerhead and got sucked up but I don't see why this would be, I have since moved the powehead further up the tank to leave even more room between the powerhead and the rock.

It has seriously knocked my confidence as everything seemed to be going so fine, i suppose it may have been too good to be true.

Have any of you lost anything under these circumstances???

Stu :(

You said he was molting, are you sure that it wasn't just the exo? I used to have a CBS and his exo got stuck to my intakes all the time.

Well I'm not sure but it did have its legs and antennas on it so I don't think it was, I have kept looking and can't see the CBS in there at all so i assume it wasn't its exoskeleton.

Cheers

Well I just tested my water and the results are as follows:

pH - 8.2

Ammonia - 0ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Nitrate - 5 - 10ppm

Obviously I can see there are traces of Nitrate in the water but a water change is due tomorrow so i don't think my water was the cause. There has been no sign so I am pretty sure it was the CBS I had to remove and not its exo-skeleton.

Cheers

Stu

Archived