Cultivated Reef

How can I lower my nitrites quickly?

humatrigger

I have had my Biocube 14 gallon cycling for 3 weeks and 2 days now and the nitrites are at about 0.2. I did a big water change on Saturday, about 35-40% and about a 15% yesterday. But I really haven't seen much change. Does anyone have any advice?

HecticDialectics

more massive water changes?

are you using ro/di water for the water change?

edit: if its nitrites and not nitrates, you're just still cycling listen to everyone below

I have had my Biocube 14 gallon cycling for 3 weeks and 2 days now and the nitrates are at about 0.2. I did a big water change on Saturday, about 35-40% and about a 15% yesterday. But I really haven't seen much change. Does anyone have any advice?

wat

don't do any water changes until your tank cycles

unless you're trying to do a soft cycle, in which case just keep doing what you're doing until you don't see any nitrites

more massive water changes?

are you using ro/di water for the water change?

No I have very clean water at my house so I don't use it yet, but when I get fish I will.

jimbo what are you doing? did flo explode the lounge w/ 20K or something?

?

jimbo what are you doing? did flo explode the lounge w/ 20K or something?

nah just bored

now that i don't have a tank i'm suddenly way more interested in reefy stuff

this is the first time since i was like 5 that i've been without a tank :(

don't do any water changes until your tank cycles

unless you're trying to do a soft cycle, in which case just keep doing what you're doing until you don't see any nitrites

Darn, so all I should do is wait?

nah just bored

now that i don't have a tank i'm suddenly way more interested in reefy stuff

this is the first time since i was like 5 that i've been without a tank :(

hey, it happens. I found out its actually pretty fun lol.

Add a pinch of sugar. Seriously, I just added 2 tsp to my 140, and they dropped from 1 to .125 in 24hrs. No effect on the fish. Cycle was taking just too long, and this more than accelerated it. :D

Add a pinch of sugar. Seriously, I just added 2 tsp to my 140, and they dropped from 1 to .125 in 24hrs. No effect on the fish. Cycle was taking just too long, and this more than accelerated it. :D

Really? How much should I add to a 14 gallon?

yep

is there anything besides rock in the tank?

Nope, just 12 lbs of rock and that's it. The guy at the fish store wouldn't even sell me a cleaning crew until it's ready.

Nope, just 12 lbs of rock and that's it. The guy at the fish store wouldn't even sell me a cleaning crew until it's ready.

wow, good fish store

so yeah, just wait or follow calvin's advice. either or

but patience is a virtue

Ooo, yeah looks like you'll need to wait, although without any fish you might be okay to try it. Just a tiny amount will probably still help. The skimmer is to help keep O2 levels up for livestock, but if you don't have any it might work.

wow, good fish store

so yeah, just wait or follow calvin's advice. either or

but patience is a virtue

Yeah I was proud that I finally found a store more worried about keeping stuff alive than money.

..... spongebob?

yep, I knew someone would catch it :D

Ooo, yeah looks like you'll need to wait, although without any fish you might be okay to try it. Just a tiny amount will probably still help. The skimmer is to help keep O2 levels up for livestock, but if you don't have any it might work.

I was going to buy one yesterday to. Thanks.

Archived