Pod Your Reef

DIY GEOtronic® Chiller

hmmhmm

anyone seen these? http://www.casco-marine.com/geotronic_150.html

anyone seen the prices? the 60 starts @ $600...

two fans w/ heatsinks, couple feet of tubing coiled into sealing closure...closure lid cut out in two places to allow heatsinks to come in contact with liquid inside of closure...a cheap inline external pump running 180gph..

35-150-071-02.jpg

58069p.jpg

thestoragestore_2033_9031234.gif

http://www.thestoragestore.com/8cuplocknlock.htmlISO_2.jpg

ISO.jpg

=

G150_main.jpg

yes, very...i don't see how though...other than the digital part...

what kind of liquid should i fill the container with to maximise the heat exchange?

trying to keep this DIY well below $100...how much is titanium tubing? lol

It's expensive, and hard to bend. You will also need quite a bit of it to maximize surface area.

That setup is a little more than just heatsinks. There is a device called a peltier junction between the two heatsinks (they have to sandwich the peltier) that act as a heat pump. You apply electricity to it and one side gets hot, and one side gets cold. The cold side can get well below freezing temperature.

This is the same concept as the Iceprobe.

im pretty sure there is a peltier cooler or something similar to cool the liquid. its not as simple as you think.

if thats your impression of how those chillers work, you might as well save yourself the time and frustration and get some fans and have them blowing across the surface of the water. more efficient

yeah they are made by peltech...guess that would explain the cost...

i have a biocube29 w/ a sealed hood...don't have the option to add fans ontop...just exploring i suppose!

yup, thats a peltier. you probably would want to get a good power supply. it draws ~ 1-2amps if i remember correctly. i played with these a while back. with enough cooling, frost will form and it can freeze water.

but like other said, you would want to use titanium tubing for 2 reasons...1, corrosion resistant and 2, good thermal conductivity. thats $$. honestly you probably couldnt make one under $100. it would be a lot easier if you got the iceprobe unit

• 2 weeks later...

Archived