Cultivated Reef

Slang's BC29 reef tank diary

Slang

Here's my new BC29 reef tank. I started this thread in the beginner's forum a few days ago, tank info's there:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180410

For those who don't want to click - quick specs (have made some changes since the original post linked above):

Oceanic Bio Cube 29 with standard lighting (Day, Actinic, triple lunar LED)

Marina floating glass thermometer with suction cup

Thermometer probe, filter floss, and live rock rubble in chamber 1, possible change to protein skimmer later...

StevieT media rack and fuge basket in chamber 2 (shipped but not in yet)

Nanocustoms 2.1 LED fuge light over StevieT fuge basket (for chaeto)

Aqua Euro titanium 100W heater (set at 79 degrees and holding steady) in chamber 3

Upgraded to Maxi Jet 1200 pump in chamber 3

Koralia #1 (1 each)

25 lbs. cured live rock

25 gal. RO water from LFS

25 lbs. arag live sand

Blue sponge, standard BC filter, and bio-balls all discarded.

No ATO (yet)

No chilller (yet)

Still haven't quite decided what the media rack will hold. Possibilites are filter floss, activated carbon, Chemi-Pure, or Purigen (opinions welcome).

Lighting: controlled by a Coralia dual timer power strip plugged into a GFI outlet:

9 PM to 9 AM: LED lunar lights only

9 AM to 11 AM: Blue actinic lights only

11 AM to 7 PM: Blue Actinic and 10,000K day lights

7 PM to 9PM: Blue actinic lights only

Pics after one week cycling, nothing in tank yet except live rock, live sand, and water:

Morning/evening actinic lighting:

Morn-Eve.jpg

Daytime lighting:

Day.jpg

Night lighting:

Night.jpg

Night lighting shot with rear canopy door closed:

Nightno2pt1.jpg

Same shot with rear canopy door open (showing Nanocustoms 2.1 LED fuge light (!):

Nightw-2pt1.jpg

Will update as we go! Wish me luck....hope to end up with something anywhere near as amazing as many of your tanks!

also just where did you mount that fuge lite...I am buying the 2.1 and the guy at NT said you mount it on the glass wall...near as I can see..that is where the Stevie T fuge thingy goes... :huh:

also just where did you mount that fuge lite...I am buying the 2.1 and the guy at NT said you mount it on the glass wall...near as I can see..that is where the Stevie T fuge thingy goes... :huh:

Thanks!

I mounted the 2.1 to the underside of the canopy rear access door. May not end up being the best location but I can always change it later. The moon lights probably appear brighter because there is some residual light that comes across the top of the rear wall that divides the display from the rear chambers. You can see how bright it is back there becasue it lights up even the intakes on the right side....even though the light is nearer to the left!

StevieT's making me a fish saver in black lexan to eliminate the residual light getting into the display.

how thick is the light?

My fuge and rack do not sit against any walls as it is not possible once in the tank. There are lips around all chamber that it has to clear, then once in the space is wider than the actual rack.

StevieT's making me a fish saver in black lexan to eliminate the residual light getting into the display.

Do you want it made out of Gold instead?

:lol: lexan would be mighty expensive

Nightw-2pt1.jpg

So this is why you need black?! Wow, that is crazy, I will get that thing done ASAP for you it is blinding!

Do you want it made out of Gold instead?

:lol: lexan would be mighty expensive

So this is why you need black?! Wow, that is crazy, I will get that thing done ASAP for you it is blinding!

LOL....if you look at my avatar you'll see why I'm used to dealing with lexan....wasn't thinking acrylic!

BTW, that pic you quoted is with the back door open....it's usually closed with the light facing downwards, into the rear chamber....like the pic just above the one you quoted in my post....

Thanks!

Lexan is the way to go in racing, but man is it expensive! I actually have some that I was experimenting with to see if it would plastic weld. Unfortunately it does so back to the drawing board, I was trying to protect some clamps from being effected by the solvent.

Ok, that makes more sense now, I still see why you need it in black, I am excited to see what it looks like tomorrow.

Are you planning on submerging your 2.1 in your fuge water? If so, double check with nanocustoms, as I don't see anywhere on the site where it says that can be done.....mine is mounted in the canopy rear door, well above the water line. The enclosure is definitely not waterproof.

• 3 weeks later...

I have my 29g BC planned out. The one issue I am still running into is the light for the fuge. I want to have strong Chaeto growth without having to strip part of the backing for light. How is your 2.1 working out? Could you post a pic of the set up if it is still working?

This is one of the few viable options I have heard from any one on all of the sites.

My tank and supplies are on the way. Including some of the StevieT's additions.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Archived