Cultivated Reef

Are these what so called Diatoms?

nanonan

Hello, day 6 of my biocube 8 cycling.

Could anyone confirm what are these? they appeared this morning.

I'm colorblind so i cant id them properly. :o

post-40968-1230446317_thumb.jpg

post-40968-1230446325_thumb.jpg

post-40968-1230446332_thumb.jpg

Do I have to wait for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate to reach 0 before adding a blue leg hermit?

I think they clean up diatoms right?

What are the ways to bring Nitrate down beside water change & skimmer?

Thanks

Do I have to wait for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate to reach 0 before adding a blue leg hermit?

I think they clean up diatoms right?

What are the ways to bring Nitrate down beside water change & skimmer?

Thanks

Ammonia and nitrate at zero. Nitrate will stay up until water change. Do a massive water change and add hermits and snails.

I don't think skimmers remove nitrates, only organic waste that would've been converted into nitrates if not skimmed out. Macro algae will keep nitrates down along with water changes.

I have the same thing on my LR, I thought diatoms weren't that big of a deal. What harm do they cause? What causes diatom growth?(I'm assuming light but what about nutrients?) What eats it? Will it restrict my zoo colony from growing? Please forgive me for hijacking.

I have the same thing on my LR, I thought diatoms weren't that big of a deal. What harm do they cause? What causes diatom growth?(I'm assuming light but what about nutrients?) What eats it? Will it restrict my zoo colony from growing? Please forgive me for hijacking.

Diatoms aren't a big deal. They eventually go away as long as your bioload in in check with your tanksize/filtration. They're actually almost always present in some number. Most all snails and hermits eat it.

Just wondering because ever since I put in a more powerful lighting system, they've been growing like crazy. They're covering my overflow box and a tank divider I have thus impeading the flow through the screen. My two turbo's don't seem to be mowing them down. Is there any animal that will just go to town on diatoms? I'd like to have a reef safe specimen because of my zoo colonies.

Archived