Top Shelf Aquatics

SAPPHIRE NANO REACTOR

reefer714

post-40767-1230325412_thumb.jpg

I saw this new item on their site , and thought what about putting it in the 1st over flow chamber of BC14 that way I know that the water is traveling thru the filter media i put in there, instead of just dropping in bags of chemipure, etc..

The Sapphire Nano Media Reactor stands 12" tall and is made from 2" acrylic tube. The feed pump holds the reactor in place and is adjustable up to 74 GPH. This reactor is great for running activated carbon, phosphate removing media, nitrate removing media, etc. The flow of the water up through the media keeps it in suspension and keeps the detritus from collecting and reducing its effect on the water. Removal of the reactor is simple. Leave the pump in place and simply lift the reactor out of the aquarium. Pull on the plunger, over the trashcan of course, and dump the media out. Put the plunger back in place and fill with new media. Replace the upper sponge and drop the reactor back on to the pump. Simple and effective.

I'm going to use the 2nd chamber for their NC12 when it arrives???

any thoughts on this or a waste of time...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have one,received it last week. My 24g nanocube is a year old and when I tried to put it into the rear filter chamber it wounld not stay in place. The little suction cups won't stick to the bottom because of all the stuff that has encrusted down there over the last year. The suction cups on the bottom of the pump are too small in my opinion. Even if I scrape the bottom clean which I will have to do, over time the suction cups will stop working and you will have to remove the whole unit pump and all to replace the media. The unit is top heavy and will not stand up on its own without the suction cups holding it in place. I was not comfortable leaving it in there leaning to one side especially with the other problem I am having with the unit. The other problem I had, when testing it in a bowl of water was the media - carbon in my case - won't stay in the chamber. Any media that floats - most carbon will at least at first - gets pushed throught the small sponge at the top that is suppose to keep the media in the chamber, even with the pump set at its lowest setting. I can not speak for phoshpate media though. If you are using carbon you might have to mod the sponge - make a bigger one. I still think its a great design, I have the protein skimmer and love it but the media reactor needs work in my opinion. I am currently waiting to hear back from Kyle about what can be done about the suction cup issue.

Just an FYI

Not sure if anyone is following this thread....

I got the razer out and scraped the bottom glass of my 1 chamber and so far the pump is staying down. I also changed from trying carbon to a phosphate media - rowaphos. The phos media is much heavier than cabon and stays in the reactor.

Not sure if anyone is following this thread....

I got the razer out and scraped the bottom glass of my 1 chamber and so far the pump is staying down. I also changed from trying carbon to a phosphate media - rowaphos. The phos media is much heavier than cabon and stays in the reactor.

Maybe just use slightly larger sized carbon? Or add a second sponge to the top? I am still waiting for mine to be put in the mail. It does look a little top heavy, but resting at an angle should be fine in the back of a cube, at least I would think.

is the flow rate adjustable?

Also, over time the flow will slow down, al all pumps seem to do and the mesh will retain small particles to restrict flow. I bet once things settle in, and you use a decent sized carbon, and flush it for a few mintues first, it will work out fine. Although, at this point I am more interested in when it will actually ship, than how well it will work. :huh:

yes the flow rate is adjustable. I have mine set as low as it will go, turned pass the lowest setting, that seems to work well with the rowaphos I am using in it.

Did you put the reactor in the first chamber of the 24 Nano? I have the sapphire skimmer in the middle chamber so presume the first chamber is the logical choice location.

I have one,received it last week. My 24g nanocube is a year old and when I tried to put it into the rear filter chamber it wounld not stay in place. The little suction cups won't stick to the bottom because of all the stuff that has encrusted down there over the last year. The suction cups on the bottom of the pump are too small in my opinion. Even if I scrape the bottom clean which I will have to do, over time the suction cups will stop working and you will have to remove the whole unit pump and all to replace the media. The unit is top heavy and will not stand up on its own without the suction cups holding it in place. I was not comfortable leaving it in there leaning to one side especially with the other problem I am having with the unit. The other problem I had, when testing it in a bowl of water was the media - carbon in my case - won't stay in the chamber. Any media that floats - most carbon will at least at first - gets pushed throught the small sponge at the top that is suppose to keep the media in the chamber, even with the pump set at its lowest setting. I can not speak for phoshpate media though. If you are using carbon you might have to mod the sponge - make a bigger one. I still think its a great design, I have the protein skimmer and love it but the media reactor needs work in my opinion. I am currently waiting to hear back from Kyle about what can be done about the suction cup issue.

Just an FYI

Yes I put it in the first chamber, pretty much the only place if you have the skimmer in the second. If your tank is established you might need to scrape off the bottom of the chamber so that the pump will stay down.

Terrific. Thanks for the reply.

Yes I put it in the first chamber, pretty much the only place if you have the skimmer in the second. If your tank is established you might need to scrape off the bottom of the chamber so that the pump will stay down.

Not sure where you ordered yours but I bought mine a couple of days ago from Nanotuners and it shipped today.

Also, over time the flow will slow down, al all pumps seem to do and the mesh will retain small particles to restrict flow. I bet once things settle in, and you use a decent sized carbon, and flush it for a few mintues first, it will work out fine. Although, at this point I am more interested in when it will actually ship, than how well it will work. :huh:

I got mine straight from the sapphire aquatics website but Kyle was just releasing them and it took two weeks...no big deal. Mine has been in the tank about a week now and its working well.

• 10 months later...
Dustin C Mills
I got mine straight from the sapphire aquatics website but Kyle was just releasing them and it took two weeks...no big deal. Mine has been in the tank about a week now and its working well.

I'm a noob..so be gentle. What does a reactor do?

Also could I put both a reactor and a sapphire skimmer in a JBJ 12?

Thanks

I'm a noob..so be gentle. What does a reactor do?

Most people will use activated carbon, phosphate removing media, nitrate removing media, etc in their tanks at one point or another. Usually people will put the carbon into a small bag and place it in the flow of water. This works....but does not take full advantage of the carbon as only the outer layer gets exposed to water...leaving the inner layer pretty much untouched.

What a reactor does is holds the carbon (or whatever you're using) inside it and then forces water up through it. This takes full advantage of the media you're using and works very effectively. I use the Saphire Aquatics reactor in my Elos Mini and love it.

Hope that helps!

Dustin C Mills
Most people will use activated carbon, phosphate removing media, nitrate removing media, etc in their tanks at one point or another. Usually people will put the carbon into a small bag and place it in the flow of water. This works....but does not take full advantage of the carbon as only the outer layer gets exposed to water...leaving the inner layer pretty much untouched.

What a reactor does is holds the carbon (or whatever you're using) inside it and then forces water up through it. This takes full advantage of the media you're using and works very effectively. I use the Saphire Aquatics reactor in my Elos Mini and love it.

Hope that helps!

Awesome! Thanks for explaining this to me.

I have a JBJ 3g Pico right now with a AC70 HOB filter...would I be able to replace the HOB with some kind of reactor that would sit outside the tank kinda like a canister filter and hook a SWCD up on the return for flow?

Awesome! Thanks for explaining this to me.

I have a JBJ 3g Pico right now with a AC70 HOB filter...would I be able to replace the HOB with some kind of reactor that would sit outside the tank kinda like a canister filter and hook a SWCD up on the return for flow?

A media reactor isn't a replacement for a HOB filter, if you're using that filter for any sort of biological filtration. Additionally, the flow through a reactor is typically reduced down to maximize water contact time with the media inside. So utilizing the feed pumps output for flow, wouldn't be necessarily suggested.

Quite honestly, for a 3 gallon aquarium, I think you'd be far better off with frequent water changes. Possibly adding a small bag of carbon or GFO in the HOB filter if possible or desired, and changing frequently.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but i'm looking to buy a replacement pump for one of these. I already own the column, but the pump is lost. Does anyone know what model/make of pump it is? I can't locate mine

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I was looking for the info on the pump also, I am gooing to build one of these reactors for my nano cube 28 since the maker is out of business. I can't seem to find the right pump anywhere and I figured someone on here that has one could post the pump info. If anyone has a unit for sale, I would be interested in the whole unit or any part.

illuminano, if you can't find a pump and want to sell your unit, shoot me a message.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but i'm looking to buy a replacement pump for one of these. I already own the column, but the pump is lost. Does anyone know what model/make of pump it is? I can't locate mine

Wow, I was looking for the info on the pump also, I am gooing to build one of these reactors for my nano cube 28 since the maker is out of business. I can't seem to find the right pump anywhere and I figured someone on here that has one could post the pump info. If anyone has a unit for sale, I would be interested in the whole unit or any part.

illuminano, if you can't find a pump and want to sell your unit, shoot me a message.

Hey Gang, This is the pump Kyle was using for the nano reactor. It's a Via Aqua 80.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/ViaAqua80.html

Archived