inTank Media Baskets

Walmart sponge to quieten filter

jjohnson3

My parents fuss at me constantly over my filter. It makes a slashing noise. This noice can be heard downstairs in their bedroom. It really makes them mad because they cant sleep. I boiled a walmart sponge for 30 minutes and cooled it off. These are the sponges that cost like $1. I put the sponge in my filter. It was immediately silent. A few hours later I went upstairs and did not see any fish. My firefish was behind the rocks acting normally. My pair of false percs were sitting right-side-up on the sandbed. My Bangaii Cardinal(Added this morning) had grey coloring instead of black. I immediately took the sponge out. Could the sponge have caused the fishes odd behavior? I also have a feather duster, pagoda coral, candy cane, and torch coral. All seem to be fine. I noticed a few white spots on my clowns so I took the filter cartriges out and added Ich-Attack to the tank. The sponge had no chemicals added to it. It was just a blue walmart sponge. Thanks for all the replies and advice in advance!!!

+1, I would start doing a major water change.

I found the problem. My heater stopped working last night. The temp got down to like 68. Thats way too cold! I bought a new heater from my LFS. All corals look fine. I have lost my pair of false percs and my new bangaii cardinal. Possibly my firefish too. It has not been out all day long

Ya... +1 to Prop

Fish can tolerate the temp better than corals so you would have lost everything if the fish had died for the temp. Just get that sponge out and buy something reef safe.

If your filter is making a splashing sound so loud that your parents cannot sleep downstairs, it sounds like your not using the filter properly, IMO. What kind of filter is it?

And, it's not really a "Water Chemistry" question. ;)

If your filter is making a splashing sound so loud that your parents cannot sleep downstairs, it sounds like your not using the filter properly, IMO. What kind of filter is it?

And, it's not really a "Water Chemistry" question. ;)

I was really unsure of where to put it. I put it here because it was leading to the sponge and thought maybe the sponge leeched chemicals when I boiled it. It is an aqueon 55 filter.

Archived