inTank Media Baskets

Can't decide between fishtanks

humatrigger

For Christmas I plan on getting a saltwater fish tank. I don't really have much money, so I have to get a small tank. I love clownfish so I would like to get a small Nano Cube either 6 or 12 gallons. I also love seahorses so I would like a 3 gallon Picotope and a pair of dwarf seahorses. I am aware of the challenge to keep a nano tank running and I am willing to put the time into it to accomplish it. What do you think I should get, a Picotope and a pair of seahorses or a Nano cube and a clownfish?

Would I need a heater for a Nano cube or a Biocube or is the heat from the lights (if any, I'm not sure if it does) sufficient?

dahliaheartsyou

seahorses are not for beginners, especially not dwarfs.

so i would NOT get a 3 gallon either way as they are harder to keep stable and even the dwarfs are recommended to have 10 gallons.

I would get the biggest you can allowing for more errors just in case, and a 6 is too small for even 1 clownfish so go with the 12.

What about the BioCube 14. They are similar in price as the 12's. I would go with the largest tank you can afford - more room for fish/coral, etc.

FYI

This is not a cheap hobby. Whatever you think you will spend...multiply by 4 (at least).

I found that for what I would want for a 6 gallon nano cube for, it would cost $175 from online and at my LFS. I am not really into corals or anemones or any of that stuff since I can't afford it, I just want a tank with live rock and a clownfish.

I found that for what I would want for a 6 gallon nano cube for, it would cost $175 from online and at my LFS. I am not really into corals or anemones or any of that stuff since I can't afford it, I just want a tank with live rock and a clownfish.

thats what they all say :D

What about the BioCube 14. They are similar in price as the 12's. I would go with the largest tank you can afford - more room for fish/coral, etc.

I would but I found a 6 gallon Nano cube shipped for $108 and the Biocube is $200. If I could, I would get that though.

clownfish1124

if you don't want corals, why get an aio with 'fancy lighting'?

just get a standard 10, lr, sand, a filter, a heater, and a 50/50 fluorescent tube to be on for viewing only.

then you can get 2 clownies and your good to go (after the cycle of course)

just get a standard 10, lr, sand, a filter, a heater, and a 50/50 fluorescent tube to be on for viewing only.

I like the all in one features of a nano cube or biocube. Also, I'm just not into those right now, maybe when I get money and experience, I might want some.

best option... tho i would skip the sand, that or use very little (ie 4 or 5 lbs max)

If you dont have much money, just forget about it. You cant be cheap with saltwater because if you are you will end up with a disaster. For my 12 gallon, it has cost me almost $1500.

burtbollinger

it really doent look like you can afford to do this right if youre worrying about 108 dollar biocubes...you dont need a 6 gallon IMO....too small...

also please dont try to jam 2 clownfish into a 12 g tank...1 is fine...

if I were you, and wanted to do a FOWLR, I'd get a regular 24 g nano cube or equivalent, @ 20 lbs of live rock...and let it cycle, then later on, add two clownfish and a bicolor blenny or something....and be done. (remove the bioballs, sponges....add some chemi pure elite, some filter floss if you want)

(in time, consider peeling off the back matting and lighting it with a desk lamp and growing some chaeto in chamber 2)

at the same time, you need to be reading the beginner sections here (steelheadr's nano cube thread, for instance) until you can recite it back to someone...

then, in several months, when you get curious about corals, you could add some xenia, green star polyps, mushrooms, and and anthelia....i think this is a good route for a beginner.

if you cant afford this, then you need to save up...salt costs money, RO water costs money, also test kits, salinity meters, ph and alk. buffer, a heater, a thermometer, the live rock, the live sand (I'd use it, IMO) the clownfish, the fish food, the glass cleaning magnet thing, the snails for your CUC = $$$$$$$$$$$

these little things add up quick...its disturbingly expensive on the front end...and you can't skimp. If you do, you will buy things twice.

again, you need to be reading...the fact that you mentioned seahorses in a pico and have not done research on heaters (if they are needed) is frankly disturbing. Yes, you need a heater, just in case....if you cannot afford one, then please either reconsider what you are doing, or save up until you can do this the right way. IMO, you need @ minimum $400-500 for starters to play with...buying a 6 gallon NC is just tossing money away. I highly recommend a 24g AIO with the proper amount of LR....

My 30g has cost me @ $1,600+....my 24g @ $800...my prior 24g cost me @ $1700 for the 3 yrs. it was up...I always looked at it like, I could have a new computer, or a new fish tank.

POST # 666, btw.

try looking locally for a tank...there are always alot of tanks on craigslist. for example im trying to sell my 14g biocube with liverock for 100 bucks and have not gotten any takers.

try looking locally for a tank...there are always alot of tanks on craigslist. for example im trying to sell my 14g biocube with liverock for 100 bucks and have not gotten any takers.

I looked and no one has one. I wish you were in michigan, I would buy that tank in a heartbeat. Heck, I would probably give you $125.

it really doent look like you can afford to do this right if youre worrying about 108 dollar biocubes...you dont need a 6 gallon IMO....too small...

also please dont try to jam 2 clownfish into a 12 g tank...1 is fine...

if I were you, and wanted to do a FOWLR, I'd get a regular 24 g nano cube or equivalent, @ 20 lbs of live rock...and let it cycle, then later on, add two clownfish and a bicolor blenny or something....and be done. (remove the bioballs, sponges....add some chemi pure elite, some filter floss if you want)

(in time, consider peeling off the back matting and lighting it with a desk lamp and growing some chaeto in chamber 2)

at the same time, you need to be reading the beginner sections here (steelheadr's nano cube thread, for instance) until you can recite it back to someone...

then, in several months, when you get curious about corals, you could add some xenia, green star polyps, mushrooms, and and anthelia....i think this is a good route for a beginner.

if you cant afford this, then you need to save up...salt costs money, RO water costs money, also test kits, salinity meters, ph and alk. buffer, a heater, a thermometer, the live rock, the live sand (I'd use it, IMO) the clownfish, the fish food, the glass cleaning magnet thing, the snails for your CUC = $$$$$$$$$$$

these little things add up quick...its disturbingly expensive on the front end...and you can't skimp. If you do, you will buy things twice.

again, you need to be reading...the fact that you mentioned seahorses in a pico and have not done research on heaters (if they are needed) is frankly disturbing. Yes, you need a heater, just in case....if you cannot afford one, then please either reconsider what you are doing, or save up until you can do this the right way. IMO, you need @ minimum $400-500 for starters to play with...buying a 6 gallon NC is just tossing money away. I highly recommend a 24g AIO with the proper amount of LR....

My 30g has cost me @ $1,600+....my 24g @ $800...my prior 24g cost me @ $1700 for the 3 yrs. it was up...I always looked at it like, I could have a new computer, or a new fish tank.

POST # 666, btw.

I know tanks need heaters, I just read people say the lights make the tank warm.

perhaps get the tank you need....save a bit, then get the rock...and on and on....the time in between steps might even be a good thing

That does sound like a good plan.

perhaps get the tank you need....save a bit, then get the rock...and on and on....the time in between steps might even be a good thing

Could a clownfish survive in a 6 Gallon? I've seen it done just seeing your opinion.

the fact that you mentioned seahorses in a pico and have not done research on heaters (if they are needed) is frankly disturbing.

Agreed

the questions you ask make me wonder if you should ever have a saltwater tank

masterbuilder

If you dont have a minimum for $500 up front... just wait until you do. Anyone can buy a tank, not everyone can afford to keep one. Thats just the facts.

In my opinion, don't do it. At least get a 12 or 14, but the 24 is probably a better idea. A lot of things "have been done".

I would personally go with a 10 or 20 gallon glass tank. Get a simple strip light, I like the single lamp Current Satellite's, thats enough light to sustain simple corals (because you will change your mind), it looks good, puts out a nice color of light, and has a built in moon light. Plus they're cheap. Get a glass lid, a 50w Stealth heater, and a pair of Koralia Nano powerheads and you're set on equipment. Then get some rock and a thin layer of sand and let it cycle. The 10 gallon in my sig is this minimalist and I love it.

edit: and I agree with everyone else on the money thing. With a little guidance, some deals, and some luck you could probably do a 10 gallon for $300, but I'd definitely say plan on $500 since it sounds like you've never had an aquarium before. Keep reading here and feel free to ask questions if a search doesn't yield the answer your looking for. My inbox is always open.

burtbollinger

ive seen lots done, lots of things that make me sick when it comes to these beautiful animals.....I would never, ever put a clown in a 6g....1 in a 12, maybe.

if you do get a 6, please do not put a clown in it...

look, i really get the feeling you are in too much of a hot rush....please, slow down....and for real, go with the 24g...it will be so much better for you. Bro, if you can't afford a 24g AIO, then you really need to STOP and start saving. I dont mean that as some "im better than you crap"....I mean it as just solid advice, advice I'd give to my mom, or my best friend.

Look I dont want to come off as some rich di_k, bragging about $$$$ and stuff...its not that, its just that you gotta have some money to do this...

please, please....do this right, or stop now.

do it wrong and post about it....youre gonna get flamed hard...can you not feel the heat a bit in this forum alone? Its not you personally, its what you seem determined to do to creatures we love....diving in headlong and basically tourturing and killing animals so you can save a buck. DOn't do that...make people proud....save the money, and do it right...please.

If I could have you do anything right now, it would be to stop for 30 days....read about 40 hours worth of beginners stuff on here, and then move forward wisely, using a credit card if you have to, to get the right stuff off the bat.

The above might read like opinion, but I assure you, its damn close to fact.

Anyway, please keep posting questions...dont let what appears to be a harsh tone scare you off...I and the folks on here want you to succeed, for yourself and for the animals that will trust in you for their lives.

EDIT: Master Builder is a damn respected voice here...what he says is golden truth, IMO...

Archived