ReefCleaners.org

Torch coral is torn, exposing its skeleton, plz help

grenathor

My torch coral has been trying to split in 2 heads and I noticed this morning that the little "flesh" part that was still holding the 2 heads together has torn apart, and now i can see under the flesh, inside its skeleton. Is this how its supposed to happen? I thought I could lower the current in my tank to reduce the torch movements (turned a powerhead off, the one that blows in this area of the tank, so the is only minimal current on the torch)

Do I have anything special I need to do to help it recover? I plan on doing a water change right when I get back from work tonight.

Thanks

My torch coral has been trying to split in 2 heads and I noticed this morning that the little "flesh" part that was still holding the 2 heads together has torn apart, and now i can see under the flesh, inside its skeleton. Is this how its supposed to happen? I thought I could lower the current in my tank to reduce the torch movements (turned a powerhead off, the one that blows in this area of the tank, so the is only minimal current on the torch)

Do I have anything special I need to do to help it recover? I plan on doing a water change right when I get back from work tonight.

Thanks

We don't have a torch, but our frogspawn has split without ever exposing the skeleton, so I don't think that is normal.

Lacking a better idea, I suggest placing it so there is only enough current to make the tentacles flutter a bit and keep up with water changes to maintain water quality. I think that's really all the flow they need anyway. (It seems that you are already doing that so I guess I'm not adding much.)

Some people recommend iodine dips for various coral maladies, but I have no idea if that is applicable for this situation.

Keep us posted on progress. Hopefully someone will post a better recommendation.

-hank

• 1 month later...

Update:

It has been over a week now that the two torches have completely detached from the skeleton. They are resting on the sand at bottom of the tank. It looks like they're trying to rebuild a skeleton. One is slightly moving with water current and I could see under (i don't want to touch them to avoid stressing them more than they are right now) and the "open wound area" has closed with some white "crust" slowly appearing where the skeleton used to be attached.

Mine is in the process of splitting too, very long process, hopefully i dont have the same incident as you. But hopefully what you noticed was more skeleton forming for those guys. Please keep us updated, enquiring minds need to know. Maybe take some pics and post em up to add the visual aid for more help and ideas.

This sounds like what happened to my Torch a few weeks back. Just fell apart for no rhyme or reason... it didn't come back. Hopefully you've got better luck.

reefman225gal
Update:

It has been over a week now that the two torches have completely detached from the skeleton. They are resting on the sand at bottom of the tank. It looks like they're trying to rebuild a skeleton. One is slightly moving with water current and I could see under (i don't want to touch them to avoid stressing them more than they are right now) and the "open wound area" has closed with some white "crust" slowly appearing where the skeleton used to be attached.

I wonder could it be Polyp bail-out?

Archived