Pod Your Reef

JDigital's 10G Hawaiian Biotope.

JDigital

This tank is actually for a contest on a different forum. Same contest as the one here on NR, just a different forum. -_-

Anyways.. i will just get you guys up to date with all the photo's of the build.

So as per contest rules: the stock tank.

10GContesttank.jpg

First tank I tried drilling, didn't work out so good.

cracked.jpg

2nd Time was a charm though:

notcracked.jpg

Then came the painted blackdrop.. :P (couple runs, but I'll never see em..

painted2.jpg

10G Sump with a Rio Nano Skimmer and Aquamedic OR2500 Return.

sump1.jpg

My DIY overflow box, and sump divider... Skipped having baffles, and the gate valve for the Herbie overflow.

plumbingstuff.jpg

Siliconing the Overflow box in...

ofinstalled.jpg

Got the plumbing installed.. Note there is no emergency overflow (like a herbie).

10plumbing.jpg

FTS w/ sump

10FTSwsump.jpg

FTS

10FTS.jpg

Once our contest date started we added water!!! As you can see I went with a black/dark green substrate, originally with no intent on setting up a hawaiian biotope, but it works out as Hawaiian does have alot of lavarock reef floors.

water2.jpg

So that night, after adding the water, I was setting the gate valve, and I messed with it for a good hour, and just couldn't nail the sweet spot, so I got nervous about leaving the tank running all night, so shut it down and drained the water.... Added in my herbie emergency overflow. Drilled the 2nd Bulkhead above the main drain, but on the side panel. No pics of the drilling etc.

herbie2.jpg

herbie3.jpg

herbie1.jpg

So I got that all dialed in nicely, and yesterday I added my LR.. It's about the only thing in the tank that isn't "Hawaiian"... its REALLY nice Tonga rock tho. :lol:

aquascape.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is going to by my final aquascape. And switched my lighting lastnight too, switched out a 1x96W PC for a 2x24 T5HO.

As for right now, I can't disclose my stocking plans, but I'll keep you posted.

Here's the budget. Its all in Canadian price eh! :lol:

Display Tank ......................................... Free

Mini Mag-float - $11.99 (under $15) .... Free

Sand ...................................................... Free

Live Rock................................................ Free

Overflow & Sump Baffles (Scrap)............. Free

10G Sump Tank..................................... $16.99

AquaMedic OR2500 Return Pump.......... $65.00

Hagen Glo 2x24W T5HO (used)............. $50.00

100W Heater......................................... $24.99

Livestock:

Total Budget Left - $143.02

Wow that is sweet! PM the forum that the contest is at..i love contests lol

maybe you can be an the unofficially illegal tank...there are a couple others out there :ninja:

Wow that is sweet! PM the forum that the contest is at..i love contests lol

maybe you can be an the unofficially illegal tank...there are a couple others out there :ninja:

Thanks. PM'd... -_-

Yea, I might ask weetie about being an unofficial illegal tank.

Very nice - good luck int he contest

Thanks. I'll try and keep up with the updates.

Just thought I'd post a angle FTS of the tank from tonight.. like how it turned out.. Bit too much sharpening, but ok for now.

10FTS-1.jpg

Gonna test the parameters tomorrow.

:happy: Very nice. I love your scaping! Especially cave on the left and the cliff on the right! Can imagine that is gonna very nice when you place coral with the black sand in contrast.
:happy: Very nice. I love your scaping! Especially cave on the left and the cliff on the right! Can imagine that is gonna be very nice when you place coral with the black sand in contrast.

I'm looking forward to adding corals.. :D I'm really hoping to match the vision I see in my head.. :lol:

I'm looking forward to adding corals.. :D I'm really hoping to match the vision I see in my head.. :lol:

Lol, I can imagine that is gonna be WOW! with lots of rics surrounding the bottom of that cliff. That's what I imagine.

Hope that I'm not disturbing wat you are visualising. :happy:

DIY and rockscape looks great!!! Superb workmanship... and awesome black sand too. How's the para?

Thanks for the comments everyone... Wow! :lol:

Parameters today are:

Elos PH: 8.3

Elos NH3/4: 0.05 to 0.5

NO2: No test kit

Elos NO3: 0

Salinity: 1.026

Temp: 75-77

Looks like the cycle is just starting. :)

Got my first bit of livestock today...

PomPom Crab (native to hawaii)

pompom.jpg

3x Red Leg Reef Hermits (bought them thinking they were Zebra Reef Hermits, which are native to Hawaii) -_-

hermit.jpg

2x Turbo Margarita Snails:

snails.jpg

Small Red/Purple Zoa frag.. will get another pic when they open.

zoas.jpg

where in CAN are you? If you want Hawaii stuff, PM me... Fish/Zoas/Inverts

I'm in Alberta.. western canada. I'll definitely shoot you a pm.. :lol: THANKS!!

I'm in Alberta.. western canada. I'll definitely shoot you a pm.. :lol: THANKS!!

Let me get your postal code and see if there are any regulations in shipping livestock. Can't do SPS or LPS, but pretty much anything else. Hermits (halloween hermits are cool), sand anemones, cucumbers, fish, zoas, etc...

clownfish1124

makai is from hawaii! buying from him would be really smart for your biotope. he also has the best zoas!

(...Now can i have my free zooz? :D )

makai is from hawaii! buying from him would be really smart for your biotope. he also has the best zoas!

(...Now can i have my free zooz? :D )

Yea, I spoke to him about it... unforetunately the shipping costs to get anything to me are too high, and overnight is not possible. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Added some zoas today. :lol:

These are from my last update, but they are finally out, so updating the pic.

Zoas1.jpg

These are the new ones today:

Zoas2.jpg

Zoas3.jpg

Archived