Innovative Marine Aquariums

National Zoo

dshnarw

The local aquarium club had a social at the National Zoo in DC. Got to hang out after hours in the invert house...lots of cool (and free to see) fish tanks. Thought I'd share some of the cool stuff.

(They have a huge coldwater tank took, pics of that here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=172240 )

Reef tank...the elegance coral is the size of a beach ball:

IMG_6514.jpg

IMG_6517.jpg

IMG_6622.jpg

IMG_6629.jpg

IMG_6630.jpg

Sea Apple tank:

IMG_6674.jpg

Jellies at feeding time...GEES these things eat a lot!

IMG_6687.jpg

IMG_6689.jpg

IMG_6690.jpg

IMG_6691.jpg

IMG_6692.jpg

Peacock Mantis:

IMG_6571.jpg

IMG_6572.jpg

Baby cuttlefish, born in August:

IMG_6613.jpg

Ctenophore!!!!!! Coolest things EVAR!!!!!

IMG_6603.jpg

Mantis shrimp shots are SOO AWESOME! Great ctenophore pic, too. One time a whole bunch of those washed up on the beach here, still alive. I got a few, and they were super cool, and then my hydroid ate them. :( Maybe it'll happen again sometime. Then I can challenge you to a Ctenophore photography battle! :naughtydance:

As always bro... Great pics!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Mantis shrimp shots are SOO AWESOME! Great ctenophore pic, too. One time a whole bunch of those washed up on the beach here, still alive. I got a few, and they were super cool, and then my hydroid ate them. :( Maybe it'll happen again sometime. Then I can challenge you to a Ctenophore photography battle! :naughtydance:

Ctenophore>>>>>hydroid. Next time...throw hydroid back :P

o boi...now you're gonna have me at the zoo all the time :P (now, how to convince them to put a SOLID background on that tank??)

Ctenophore>>>>>hydroid. Next time...throw hydroid back :P

lol, I know. What can I say, I was young and confused. :lol:

o boi...now you're gonna have me at the zoo all the time :P (now, how to convince them to put a SOLID background on that tank??)

Just bring your own! No one can stop you! (except for the security guards). :)

• 4 weeks later...

OMG, WHY DID I NOT GO SE THE INVERTS. I love that zoo, but when we went I was on a time crunch and missed the pandas (sucks) and the inverts (sucks just as hard). DANGIT!!!. Sweet zoo tho, and it's free.

Archived