inTank Media Baskets

Planning for BC14

reptar

Hey guys, I'm new to salt water and thinking about setting up a biocube 14 gallon tank.

I did some research and need your advice on how I should plan this out.

this is what I'm thinking about so far...

Tank Mods:

change stock pump to maxijet 600/900 depending on heat issues

I did some research in the biocube, and everyone is recommending to take out the bio balls. If i do remove the bio balls, what should I replace them with? I don't want to do any lighting mods as I don't want to over heat the tank.

skimmer - would like to add one but not sure what would do well in the bc14, I read that the ones meant for this set up aren't very effective.

Rock/Sand:

15-20 pounds of live rock (not sure the differences of type, perhaps you could help)

15-20 pounds of live sand

Clean Up Crew:

2-3 hermit crabs

2 cleaner shrimp

5 snails

Fish:

1- true A. Percula pair

Corals:

could I have any with the stock lighting?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

That sounds like a decent setup for starters. you could keep most soft corals under those lights. And as far as your LR question. I would just try to get the most porous rock you can. Not only will it be lighter, but you will have more surface area for your bacteria.

And try to buy your rock based upon shape and size rather than what is on it. Most of your cool hitch hikers will vanish anyways.

how's my stocking situation with 2 clown fish?

my goal is to keep it as low maintenance as possible with a pair of clown fish.

would adding corals be adding more potential issues?

thanks

"how's my stocking situation with 2 clown fish?"

Perfect.

"would adding corals be adding more potential issues?"

With stock lighting you should stick to softies like mushrooms, xenia, and zoas.

I used a Sapphire skimmer in the second chamber of my old BC14. Worked okay but needed lots of adjustment to get the right consistency of skimmate.

Other possible replacements for the bioballs in chamber two: live rock rubble or a small fuge with chaeto. Both mods require modification of the spill-over and removal of the drip tray so that the second chamber fills up with water.

Swapping out the stock pump with a maxijet 900 is a trade-off - more flow but higher temps.

--bubbles

thanks bubbles

which Sapphire skimmer did you use? by having a skimmer would it reduce the amount of maintenance needed for the take? ie less water changes..

thanks bubbles

which Sapphire skimmer did you use? by having a skimmer would it reduce the amount of maintenance needed for the take? ie less water changes..

I bought the Sapphire nano skimmer from nanotuners. http://www.nanotuners.com/ It's designed for the NC12 so part of the lip on the back of the BC14 has to be trimmed to fit it into chamber two. (Quick job if you have a dremel tool.)

skimmer.jpg

I think Oceanic now makes one specifically for the BC14 but I'm not sure whether it is better or not. Nanotuners stocks that one as well. Some would argue that you don't need a skimmer at all as long as you keep up with your water changes. (You should do weekly water changes regardless.) That's the best way to keep your nitrates down.

--bubbles

Archived