Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Starting a Dottyback Controversy

Sctn4Elk

Are these psuedochromis overly aggressive?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Fridmani and Indigo

• Yes
    • No

So it seems a lot of folks around here feel very strongly about bashing people who suggest that the following 2 psuedochromis are not overly aggressive and could make great reef inhabitants. I am specifically speaking about the Fridmani and the Indigo psuedochromis and none of the others.

I would love to hear from folks who currently have or have had in the last year or so one of the above fish. Please do not respond with second hand info as I am only concerned with responses from those hobbyists who actually have owned one recently.

I currently have a Fridmani and he is a very peaceful fish with a GCG and cleaner shrimp. I also know of three other reefers who have one of the above fish and they do not exhibit the behavior everyone seems to tag them with.

Here are the two fish in question:

Dottybacks

orchiddottyback.jpg

indigodottyback.jpg

Considerate and subjective responses greatly appreciated.

mines kind of a jerk is a springeri dottyback but he is a great and very active fish

How big does the springeri get? The Orchid only gets 1.5 - 2 inches...although the ones I have seen never got to 2 inches...and their mouth is soooooo small...

ALL dottybacks are possible shrimp killers.

I had a blue line pseudo in a tank. Totally peaceful to a Blue Assesor and a Firefish which are some of the most peaceful fish around.

tank10021005-1.jpg

Mine also killed peppermint shrimp with no regard.

Had 2 in the tank, they went MIA after adding the pseudo.

Added 7 at one time (to combat aiptasia and in hopes that 1 or 2 would live in harmony with the pseudo), they were killed before the next morning.

Saying they are peaceful is cool. Saying they are 100% invert safe is not.

ALL dottybacks are possible shrimp killers.

Saying they are peaceful is cool. Saying they are 100% invert safe is not.

Disagree...and so far, no one has posted with Fridmani or Indigo results...I am not saying that psuedochromis CANT be mean...I am asking about two fish in particular....this is what I am talking about...you can't generalize all dottybacks into the same category...

I have a Neon Dottyback. Very active fish. Loves to dart in and out of the rock work. He's a great eater. Just ask the three Peppermint Shrimp I used to have in the tank. He doesn't mess with the Flame Angel or the Maroon Clown I have.

well i have gone through a few pepermint shrimp but for the last 2 months the same three pepermint shrimp are alive a kicking the other two might of died due to my dottyback but i cant confirm that

I have a Neon Dottyback. Very active fish. Loves to dart in and out of the rock work. He's a great eater. Just ask the three Peppermint Shrimp I used to have in the tank. He doesn't mess with the Flame Angel or the Maroon Clown I have.

Yes, I agree...Neons can be aggressive...but again...its not a Fridmani...

well i have gone through a few pepermint shrimp but for the last 2 months the same three pepermint shrimp are alive a kicking the other two might of died due to my dottyback but i cant confirm that

Like I said...no doubt that some can be aggressive...but I really want to hear from Fridmani or Indigo owners....since those are the only ones I have ever recommended and still get flamed for it...

Doubt what you want to sir :)

Kraylen, you know dang well you've never owned a Fridmani....you are just trying to force your overrated opinion in this post...just leave it alone already....damn dude...seriously...

interesting post. to the original poster, it does not seem that you intended to start a controversy - it seems you intend to prove your point, to which every response that is given to your thread, the same defense has been given.

i love orchid dottybacks, they are gorgeous with a wonderfully intriguing personality. i had one in my 10 for a while before shutting it down, and he added a great amount of vibrant color and excitement to my display.

while i would like to note that they are not as aggressive as many of the other species of dottyback, orchid dottybacks most definately have an aggressive streak within them. this is often not apparent in younger specimens, and ESPECIALLY lacking in newly acquired individuals. given time to mature in an established aquarium, these fish do eventually end up extremely territorial and hostile to a variety of other organisms.

mine did kill the only other inhabitant of the tank, a peppermint shrimp, and i witnessed the death. perhaps it was my fault for introducing the invertebrate after the fish had established territory, but nonetheless i was rather surprised by the immediately aggressive response from the fish. he also had a habit of attacking my snail's antennae, an understandably tempting target.

while not necessarily a product of my personal experiences as a hobbyist, i can also offer my experience as a former aquarium store employee. in the aquarium store i had worked at, orchids eventually killed any invertebrate tankmates that they could. it was a given rule - if someone accidentally placed an orchid in a tank with small invertebrates, before the week was over, the orchid would be the lone inhabitant.

drawing from my employment experience, i can also say that indigo dottybacks are very similar to the orchid dottybacks in having placid temperaments for dottybacks, but still aggressive and territorial given time to mature.

all in all, it is without a doubt that placing any dottyback in a VERY small confined space, as all of us nano-reefers do, will cause friction over time with any other inhabitant, given their inate territorial nature. nonetheless, it does not make the fish any less of a desirable fish, as long as it is the sole inhabitant of a small area, or given enough room to establish its own territory.

interesting post. to the original poster, it does not seem that you intended to start a controversy - it seems you intend to prove your point, to which every response that is given to your thread, the same defense has been given....

Finally...someone with personal experience...thank you...I value that opinion on your experience.

I would like to say however, that I was not trying to prove my point, I was actually looking for people who actually owned one of the two fish I pointed out so I could see if I and my two friends had the only 3 peaceful fridmanis out there....I NEVER said dottybacks could not be aggressive...and I know the Neons can and will kill.

So my comments and my defense about "its not a fridmani" were and are valid....we all know dottybacks are aggressive...but I believe the fridmani and the indigo can be housed peacefully with other tank mates...time will tell with mine and I think my 5 gallon is plenty big for him...

Never hated on the fish itself. Orchids are one of my favorites actually. We gave you crap for this stuff (well, at least I did) :

All the pseudochromis I have ever had work well in a reef....

Dangerous generalization.

they NEVER bother corals or inverts....mine is with a Goby, cleaner shrimp, host of snails, hermits, mini stars and an emerald crab...all in a 5 gallon bow...

It is all in the environment you give them....

Absolutes are extremely rare in reef keeping. This statement is false; they can/will harm inverts. There are also reports of them scuffling with wrasses. I have never housed them together however, so I can not verify this.

try the fridmani like I have..or the indigo...for bigger reefs try the neon...all fish can be territorial and if you don't crowd them or make them compete for food they will be fine...

I just like the irony of this one. ;)

I mean no disrespect here, just trying to clarify where this "controversy" is coming from. The controversy here is not their compatibility. No one was blatantly hating on either of these particular species. In fact, from my experience I find this rather accurate; these fish have been around awhile, the nature of them isn't much of a mystery.

Unfortunately, this thread is just going to keep going back to the fact that you're housing one in a 5 gallon...

i am not trying to be a hater or nothing butn dottybacks need at least 20 gallons to live in?

30 gallon is what is usually recommended.

Disagree...and so far, no one has posted with Fridmani or Indigo results...I am not saying that psuedochromis CANT be mean...I am asking about two fish in particular....this is what I am talking about...you can't generalize all dottybacks into the same category...

I have 5 of them in quarantine with no signs of aggression at all. They have been in that tank for almost 2 months. They are being moved from an LFS display tank that was torn down. They were OK in there as well.

Edit: INDIGO

Your 5 gallon with clown goby also.

true dat big boy....and it isn't going to change so don't bother...he's fine....

This thread is just going to keep going back to the fact that you're housing one in a 5 gallon...

Get over it...

And you took my comments out of context...I believe I was referring to my own fish....generalizing and all...

Get over it...

And you took my comments out of context...I believe I was referring to my own fish....generalizing and all...

Hey, man it's your tank. I may comment on your methods but I'm not going to tell you what can or can't do. Hell, you could cook him and eat him for all I care. I'm just saying with the nature of thread it's going to come back to that fact rather often. Also, I see the point regarding your comments since you were just speaking from personal experience. Duly noted.

Archived