Cultivated Reef

Just mixed an entire tank with Reef Crystals, readings inside.

fierceseaman

fierceseaman

Mixed up about 55 gallons with RODI water. These are my initial measurements. How does this stack up against other people? I'm actually very happy with these measurements.

55 Gallons

1.025 SG

78.4 Deg F

PH 8.0

390 PPM Ca

8.5 dKH

1230 PPM Mag

readings were determined as follows:

SG: refractometer

temp: Digi Thermometer

PH: Red Sea PH test

Ca: Salifert

dKH: API

Mg: Salifert

• 2 weeks later...
Mixed up about 55 gallons with RODI water. These are my initial measurements. How does this stack up against other people? I'm actually very happy with these measurements.

55 Gallons

1.025 SG

78.4 Deg F

PH 8.0

390 PPM Ca

8.5 dKH

1230 PPM Mag

readings were determined as follows:

SG: refractometer

temp: Digi Thermometer

PH: Red Sea PH test

Ca: Salifert

dKH: API

Mg: Salifert

That's about right. If you mix it to 1.026 your levels should be spot on.

fierceseaman

Not to argue, just to get your idea but why would you mix to 1.026? NSW is 1.025. What is the rationale behind mixing to 1.025?

BTW, it is my firm believe that Reef Crystals is one of the better salts out there. I've had much success with it. When my reef did well I was using it, when it wasn't I was using something else.

Actually, the specific gravity of NSW varies at different locations around the world. While I'm sure that some oceans and seas are 1.025, I'm also pretty positive that not all are.

I think the Red Sea has the highest specific gravity, but I don't remember what it is for other locations.

more SG = more salt used. More salt used = higher amounts of trace elements such as calcium in the water. The calc is a bit low, so more salt would get it up to about 420 where it should be

The seawater at Daytona Beach is 1.028 on a calibrated refractometer FWIW.

Nice plane BTW, my dad was an Airforce Major in Reykjavík Iceland. He flew F-86's.

Archived