Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

NanoNana's 34g Red Seas Max

NanoNana

In early July, we suddenly decided to sell our house. We had, at that time, a wonderful 175 bowfront with a deluxe tank room behind it.

tank4-03-08.jpg

I was heartbroken and thought that we should just call it quits. I listed all the equipment and animals in our 175 bowfront for sale, and local WAMAS club members in our area were great about shouting out for stuff. But, I went into withdrawl, and, with the support of wonderful club members, I decided to buy a Red Seas Max 34g tank and save frags of my favorite corals plus my one favorite fish, Honey the Midas Blenny, in a new "ark."

We have had the Red Sea Max up now for almost three weeks.

(see specs here)

Here are the starting stats.

We bought our RSM on a Tuesday evening after quick research. We needed to hurry since we were to break down our 175 on Saturday. My hero husband, Scott, assembled the stand and tank by 1:00 AM. We did a quick freshwater test, and then filled it with sea water and rubble from our large QT system.

newtankcycling.jpg

cyclingrubble.jpg

I did an ammonia test every day at the same time (3:00 PM) and never saw any measurable ammonia from disturbing/repositioning the sand (we put in about 4-5" of aragonite all told in the bottom of our large system's sump tank).

2. Honey was in a rock. We picked up the rock on Friday evening, July 11, and put it into the RSM the night before we broke everything else down, along with some of our favorite unpromised sponge-encrusted LRs, which also had zoos on it that I had failed to list for sale (thankfully).

3. We put as much good LR in as we could comfortably fit: I think there must be about 40 lbs. in there.

4. Next day, we added softies and fragged a few more favorite LPS corals to put into this "ark."

honeyinseascape.jpg

Readings:

No measurable nitrates or ammonia yet. Our trusty pH monitor has us hovering right around 8. (Scott giggles as he doses CA and pH up by the teaspoon, after managing both a Kalk stirrer and a CA reactor on the former system and dosing daily by the cupful into our former sump!)

Maintenance notes so far:

1. We do need to top off frequently (daily). So far, I've used a bucket.

2. Temperature has been an issue: it ranges two to four degrees each 24 hours. We have finally purchased a mini-chiller that has dual controls for both heater and chilling so that we can have peace of mind. Should come today. I am ich-averse, even in a small system, and have ordered an AP12, which will have its own tank thread soon to use as a QT for this tank. (Down the road, I'm considering one of those submersible UV sterilizers.)

3. I am a devotee of copepods, so we're going to breed them and phytoplankton in a 10g inside the stand, and since we can't think of a good way to make it automatic or a true 'fuge, we'll use the old fashioned "scoop with a net and backwash them into the tank" method. Hopefully, we'll get a good crop going before I find my desired court jester goby (rainford).

This little tank is so MANAGEABLE after our 175. Do I miss the big tank? Yep. Do I like the nano? YES! It's really got a LOT of bang for the buck. :D I'm looking forward to getting to know this group. Our local WAMAS group is a blast, but not as many nano fans over there.

event.png

The above was copied (and edited) from a post on WAMAS. This is an actual update to the tank.

We have made NO mods yet whatsoever, but I am a great researcher and am reading all I can on this new tank. I know everyone takes out the ceramic "bio balls" and we will, too, when we open that compartment again. For now, with a new tank, they shouldn't hurt us much. We put the carbon in, too.

After reading threads, I've seen that our black sponge is already "cut in half" by manufacturers, but we never saw a white sponge. Most people seem to put filter floss above the halved black sponge, but we're not using anything. So far, as I said, no problems with tests.

Our skimmer is not pouring microbubbles into our system as some report; there is some skimmate--thin and green--on the neck and in the cup. I am far from impressed (see below).

Tonight I noticed some coraline algae already starting to grow in the surface skimmer: a good sign.

After about a week in operation, our turbo snails spawned. If you've never sen this, it's an awesome display. They take turns giving off "smoke signals"--for HOURS. We watched as the tank filled up with white snail sperm; Scott decided that it was not harmful. The skimmer was unchanged and we read online that no one does anything about it. It was nature on display: very cool. Anyways, a week later, we do indeed have baby snails... no egg cache, just noticed six or eight new snail babies on the glass.

July 27, tonight, we did our first water change. Talk about feeling "all thumbs!" We changed out about 5 gallons. Scott also set up our auto-top off using equipment from the old system. I have money left over from that system, so I'm going to have fun doing a few mods to this great tank. Here are some plans, subject to change. :happy:

After reading SteveT's thread (I'm about halfway through the 42 pages) and drooling over NanoTuners.com, I've concluded that the mods I plan are as follows:

1. Chemi-pure to replace carbon soon

2. Ordering Tunze 9002 skimmer to replace the RS one this coming week. (Am confused about the

3. Took one look at the Prime 1/15 hp chiller we ordered and asked Scott to send it back. It just destroys the clean lines and symmetry of the tank, and besides, the tank is cool enough without it. It's just too variable for my taste. So, I ordered a dual temp controller and a fan:

Dual temp controller

Fan

4. Plan on getting a 5W JBJ Submariner UV Sterilizer/Clarifier... anyone have one and like/hate it? Sterilizer details

Planned stock list:

Fish I'm considering choosing between:

Honey, the Midas Blenny (already chosen)

Rainford's goby

Purple firefish (?)

Carpenter Flasher Wrasse (?) or Melanurus (?) or Rose Belly Fairy Wrasse

African Bluestripe Pipefish

Pistol shrimp and yellow watchman combo (?)

Corals currently in the tank from our larger system:

Purple digitata

2 pink/green hammer

green/tan frogspawn

green frogspawn

tan/pink tipped hammer (large)

pink frogspawn

green acro

various zoos (four types currently)

rainbow ricordia

brain coral

green monti cap

Inverts currently in the tank:

four turbos (or so, plus babies0

various hermits (red/blue legged)

Here are some updated pics:

Honey in the rock:

Honeysmiling.jpg

Video of the tank from three sides:

th_threesidedviewing.jpg

Questions that I have at the moment (will also ask SteveT I guess...) in no particular order:

1. I don't get the magnet mount he used. How can we use metal magnets in our sw tanks?

2. Does anyone besides SteveT have clams under these stock T-5 lights? I REALLY want one (hence my flirtation with NanoTuners...) but having seen Steve's impressive growth of SPSs and the installation of his clam (remember, I'm not to the end of the 42 pages ;) ) and am thinking I don't really need the halides (and hence, not the chiller either).

3. Surface film: I have one of the two stock pumps rippling the surface and still have crud. Wondering if the Tunze will help that, or is it just a fact of life with the RSM?

4. Fish: can one have more than one goby? I want a Rainsford

dahliaheartsyou

it looks really good!!!

is the yellow stuff a sponge? It is so cool looking!

I love the movement of all the LPS in the vid!

lilredneckman

First off i LOVE your tank!!!! That 175 was amazing! Its a shame you had to break it down. The only question i can answer for you is the surface skimming. You cant fill the tank to far above the black line or it will not skim correctly. Just move up the gate a little until it starts sucking in the gunk on the surface.

1. Does anyone besides you have clams under these stock T-5 lights? I REALLY want one (hence my flirtation with NanoTuners...) but having seen Steve's impressive growth of SPSs and the installation of his clam (remember, I'm not to the end of the 42 pages ;) ) and am thinking I don't really need the halides (and hence, not the chiller either).

Yes, other people are keeping clams under their stock lighting. I have seen and coached a few people after they saw me sucessfuly keep a clam. As long as you mature your tank (around 6 months) and keep it up high, you can keep one alive under the lighting.

2. Surface film: I have one of the two stock pumps rippling the surface and still have crud. Wondering if the Tunze will help that, or is it just a fact of life with the RSM?

This is a pretty heavly discussed topic on my thread so I am surprised you didn't see the answer. The tunze may help but isn't designed to remove surface film. It is not a fact of the RSM but their design didn't help.

You need to lower the water level bellow the black molding, sometimes up to 1/4". Also raise the intake grate up about 1/4" to force more water upwards. This will solve the problem, you should not run any tank with surface film and I have never seen any in mine since finding that sweet spot. Just play around and find what works with your tank.

3. Fish: can one have more than one goby? I want a Rainsford but others in my list look cool, too! Yellow/pistol, firefish... Anyone know?

Yes, you can have more than one goby in a tank. I am not familar with a Rainsford, if you need specific help post that invidual question in the fish section of the forum, it will be seen more than here.

This is a pretty heavly discussed topic on my thread so I am surprised you didn't see the answer. The tunze may help but isn't designed to remove surface film. It is not a fact of the RSM but their design didn't help.

Yes, I've seen the discussion some, and the water level thing, but didn't see ref. to the Tunze re: film. THANKS for taking the time to answer me, here and on RC. Posted another ? or two there, if you get time. Mostly about Tunze: why the mod collection cup after you say that it fits under the RSM lid fine when you first installed it? TIA!

it looks really good!!!

is the yellow stuff a sponge? It is so cool looking!

I love the movement of all the LPS in the vid!

Yes; sponge. Yes, the movement of LPSs has always captured my attention. Thanks for the compliment!

I want to make my RSM a collection of zoos, ricordias, LPSs, and SPSs (a few). We'll see how it goes. Right now, I'm not adding anything to the tank as we plan to move within a month to three months. I simply threw the rock in there. Moving will be a pain, but I'm glad for the opportunity to get to know the RSM since it was a bit of an impulse purchase. When we move, I plan to do the aquascaping in light of planned inhabitants, like my clam after six months, etc.

Yes, I've seen the discussion some, and the water level thing, but didn't see ref. to the Tunze re: film. THANKS for taking the time to answer me, here and on RC. Posted another ? or two there, if you get time. Mostly about Tunze: why the mod collection cup after you say that it fits under the RSM lid fine when you first installed it? TIA!

I check in on nano-reef more that RC but I try and make the rounds.

The collection cup that I created works well because the round cup from the Tunze gets caught on the hood when opening and closing. The lip is too wide and will catch usually in the lid area when closing. It does fit inside the tank fine, but it is a pain when doing maintenance to always remove the cup so that everything will close properly.

I was putting up with it for some time, but after I stared having extra acrylic around from media baskets, the idea hit me. A rectangle cup fits much better in a rectange hole than a round cup in a rectangle hole! :D

more info here if you need it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1689249

i will check over on RC as well.

:welcome:

Let me sit here and drool over your tank for a few more minutes.... :bowdown:

:lol:

Your tank is amazing!!

I love all those LPS flowing in the current. Totally cool.I have officially decided to only add LPS from now on. lol.

I really want a clam as well, just need to let my tank mature for a few more months like StevieT suggested. :D

I will definitely be watching the progress of this tank :)

:welcome:

Let me sit here and drool over your tank for a few more minutes.... :bowdown:

:lol:

Your tank is amazing!!

I love all those LPS flowing in the current. Totally cool.I have officially decided to only add LPS from now on. lol.

I really want a clam as well, just need to let my tank mature for a few more months like StevieT suggested. :D

I will definitely be watching the progress of this tank :)

Lizzie, so kind! I am thankful for your comments, but really, it's not that much yet. I really want to re-aquascape it after we move.

Let me give you a tip that I discovered in my big system about corals: LPSs do fine on lower light, but are aggressive (sweeper tentacles) but they DON'T sting each other. You can snuggle them up close and not have any damage done. Don't get them near anything else that they can sting, tho. Now, mushrooms can also snuggle in together, and zoos can snuggle eachother. Same with ricordias. So the ideal aquascaping takes into account these factors: plan to make layers (relative to light/height in the tank) and culster like corals together!

When I re-aquascape, I plan to make a "ziggurat effect": like stair steps that go from a small top to a wide bottom on three sides (but irregular, for a natural look). SPS's (bird's nest and acros) and zoos will crown the top of this stack. Next will come LPSs and moni caps at mid-range. Then, bright mushrooms and ricordia down lower. Somewhere near the top will be a single clam (in my perfect world) after about six months.

HTH!

Marcia

I like the plans for the new aquascape. Can't wait to see some pics!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Update:

Equipment and this Forum:

Well, after reading ALL 40 PAGES of SteveT's RSM thread, I'm sold on a Tunze and his media rack (but not his cup--yet). Everyone here has been SO friendly and encouraging! Isn't the Internet GREAT: it means you can always find someone to follow as you trek into something new!

Anyways: yesterday purchased the following:

Tunze 9002 skimmer

Steve's media rack

Various filter media and bags to go into the rack when it comes

Today received stuff I ordered last week:

Ice cap 80mm canopy fan (variable speed temp controlled) to sub. for a chiller I sent back along with an ETC two-stage temperature controller. Ironically, the temp in our RSM has been STEADY at 97.5 for the last four days, ever since we put the auxiliary fan onto a timer to go on and off with the lights. Oh, well. Here are links to the new toys:

Aqualogic Digital Controller

3" variable speed fan temp. controlled

Also: my AP12 was up and running for the first day of cycling today.

Planning on using it for QT and frags (remember, still in withdrawl from larger system. Can't operate in my mind w/o QT... so... see the build thread below in sig line for the AP12 if interested.

Water change today.

Scott and I are discussing sump ideas with bulletproof external overflow boxes and venturi pumps. Also installing the new fan tonight, if possible.

Thanks!

When changing out cooling fans and installing the new ETC temp controller, we accidentally dropped a plastic peg down into the rock work. We decided to go ahead and re-aquascape. Here are the results:

Before:

honeyinseascape.jpg

After:

newscape8-2.jpg

Left side:

left-side.jpg

Right side:

rightside8-2-1.jpg

My plan was to try to make caves and peek-a-boo tunnels behind the rock for fish. I'm going to take a video tomorrow that shows how well I succeeded. (I like it.) Then, I also realized after having my RSM these past few weeks that they really should be aquascaped with the three-sided viewing in mind. In one way, I was hampered by the fact that we only have larger rocks from the 175; I can't bring myself to smash 'em. But, tonight's effort was good: I got the look on all three sides that I want. My plan is to have LOTS of zoas and mushrooms on the two sides, and concentrate the LPSs down lowish in front, then put SPSs and clam (after six months) near the top of the rock work. Plenty of room at the top of the tank for this, too!

Now, all may change when we move. (sigh) I'll have to tear it apart then to move, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

What do you think?

lakshwadeep

Beautiful tank and great yellow sponge. Here's some info on Rainford's goby:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/3/fish

They need filamentous (hair) algae to do well, and that can be hard to stomach at first. I had one for 3 months and I definitely saw it taking bites out of the hair algae I left alone. It mysteriously was lost when my dad watched over the tank for 3 weeks.

Beautiful tank and great yellow sponge. Here's some info on Rainford's goby:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/3/fish

They need filamentous (hair) algae to do well, and that can be hard to stomach at first. I had one for 3 months and I definitely saw it taking bites out of the hair algae I left alone. It mysteriously was lost when my dad watched over the tank for 3 weeks.

Wow! Thanks, Malcolm. I couldn't get a straight answer about Rainsfords anywhere! I read they were easily fed here and there, but then read that they were finicky and difficult in just one place, which got me wondering. I really appreciate that information. I'm really careful to thoroughly research animals before stocking them. Will pass this info along to a friend, tho, who is plagued with hair algae, currently. :)

I got to see two carpenter's wrasses today at the LFS. Next week, if my tank is done cycling sufficiently, I think that will be the first fish I purchase for the AP12 QT tank. :D

Rescued a green monti cap and a purple monti dig from the outer darkness (the AP12) where they were chucked on a large rock last while aquascaping. Fragged them off their rock and put them into the tank. Was just getting ready to snap a pic when the lights went off. :huh:

Installed the Tunze today!!!! :D

It went in JUST peachy; started right up. We closed the lid. It was a silent, beautiful thing.

Lately, we've been having microbubbles that we did NOT have at first. I'm thinking it's the water level being a bit low, so I've been topping off the the past hour (ours runs nice and slow) and we've added the Tunze. We'll see.

I love all the new holes and ledges you created. Those little caves in the front will be perfect for your watchman and pistol.

It's all coming together very nicely.

This picture, from this month's TOTM on Reef Central inspires me.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/...cap-collage.jpg

I am going to attempt to reproduce it in the central crevace of my rockwork in the front and center of my nano.

In the movies below, behind the flowing frogspawn on the right center, there's a sizeable "cliff and cave" formation. I have green monti cap so far; I plan to add frags of red and purple asap so as to start this kind of formation going. :) We'll see how it turns out!

th_Tanktour.jpg

Here's a closeup video of the frogspawn. I really like the water motion that the RSM gives my corals!

th_frogspawncloseup.jpg

I'm trying to decide just where to put the zoa frags I recently got. Hmmm.

The link doesn't work...something about don't support hot linking. What issue is it? I look it up on their website.

Edit: I'm guessing it's Travis' Tank of the Month photo...

The link doesn't work...something about don't support hot linking. What issue is it? I look it up on their website.

Edit: I'm guessing it's Travis' Tank of the Month photo...

Current issue: the colorful monit-caps: red, green, purple: amazing!

Here's the link better done:

monti-cap-collage.jpg

Thanks for tagging along!

Well, the new game in town is microbubbles. I had hoped that replacing the stock skimmer with the Tunze would take care of them, but no. I'm now considering my water flow to the pumps. I have a Steve T media rack on order, so when it comes here are the plans:

1. Remove stock bag of carbon from the chamber of death (under the pumps)

2. While the pumps are out, make sure they're clean and green (quick vinegar bath)

3. Adjust surface skimmer aperture so that more water can go in. I have it now raised about a third; thinking this may not be enough flow overall.

Meanwhile, I'm shopping for corals. I'm going to be selling some of my hammer corals and moving the frogspawn lower, near the yellow sponge. Then, I'm planning on making a big coral order to brighten up this little jewel box with color! Mushrooms, ricordia, blastos, acans, candy canes, plate corals, open brains--all these are on my list, along with a few new zoas. :D

Archived