Top Shelf Aquatics

$10 Fuge Light

I2eefer

I'm currently cycling my new AP12 and was at my LFS talking to the owner (Ken @ Amazon Pets). I told him I converted my rear chamber into a fuge and he suggested a budget fuge light found at Home Depot. I went down to my local Home Depot and picked it up! It's got a small footprint, but puts out more than enough light for an AIO fuge! I even tried it over the display tank and it provided loads of light! I plan to cut out a small circle out of the back black backing material because i placed it on top over the fuge and some light leaked into the display tank. Price: $8.95 + CA tax = $9.69! Here's a pic of the packaging if you're interested:

post-37260-1215868055_thumb.jpg

how hot does it run?

i ran the light by itself for about 5 minutes to see how hot it runs and it gets warm, but not hot. Ken at the LFS said that he has friends who use the same exact light without any heat issues. maybe i will do a test run with a before and after temp reading with the light over the fuge. should i do a full 6-8 hr light cycle? i guess this test would limit it to only 12g tanks (more effect on smaller and less on larger AIO tanks).

Thanks a ton bud. I have been looking for fuge light ideas. This one seems like a probable choice for me!

no worries! i've realized i've gotten into an extremely expensive hobby and i'm willing to share any budget tips to save us some money!

btw...nice AP12!

CollegeNano
no worries! i've realized i've gotten into an extremely expensive hobby and i'm willing to share any budget tips to save us some money!

btw...nice AP12!

Thank you. Money saving tips are always appreciated, especially for us poor college students :)

that should work great. I run a 10W MR16 bulb over the fuge in the sump of my pico and the chaeto grows like mad. I'll have to go looking for one of those.

that should work great. I run a 10W MR16 bulb over the fuge in the sump of my pico and the chaeto grows like mad. I'll have to go looking for one of those.

the lamp does seem pretty warm though...maybe i'll try replacing the 20w with a lower watt bulb if your chaeto grows well with only 10w.

does cheato need 24/7 light or is 12 sufficient

Most people run they fuge lights opposite of their main lights... I do this. Soon as the main lights go out, fuge light comes on, soon as the main lights come on, fuge light goes off...

What section of HD was that light in?

every home depot is set up differently, so look or ask where the under cabinet lighting is...the home depot i went to had them on an end-cap of the lighting fixture isle.

Nick's Reef

The only problem I see with this is that there is exposed metal, and it may rust. i looked at these at Lowes yesterday and almost got one til' i saw this. Anyone else have any ideas on this?

CollegeNano
The only problem I see with this is that there is exposed metal, and it may rust. i looked at these at Lowes yesterday and almost got one til' i saw this. Anyone else have any ideas on this?

It won't be in the water so rust probably won't be a problem to the tank, depends on where the metal is i guess. It may not even rust if it's kept dry. You could cover it with tape :P Those are my uneducated thoughts!

... the under cabinet lighting...

That's what I was looking for.

Salt mist is a common thing in most sump compartments but if you are using this light for an AIO, I'd only be an issue if you keep dripping water on it.

if you're interested in the same light, but worried about heat issues...i just found out there's an LED version for $14!

I bought the exact same light at Lowes on clearance for $4.69. I too was worried about heat so first I tried finding a 10w bulb for it. I couldnt find one so I gave this one a try a few times. After being on the entire night, my tank did not go up in temp at least by a measurable amount. Ive been growing chaeto like crazy with it!

Note: Mine is about 2 inches away from the glass on the back, probably why the tank doesnt get hot.

I bought the exact same light at Lowes on clearance for $4.69. I too was worried about heat so first I tried finding a 10w bulb for it. I couldnt find one so I gave this one a try a few times. After being on the entire night, my tank did not go up in temp at least by a measurable amount. Ive been growing chaeto like crazy with it!

Note: Mine is about 2 inches away from the glass on the back, probably why the tank doesnt get hot.

awesome! i thought of the same thing..possibly putting some sort of spacer between the tank and light. how did you mount it?

awesome! i thought of the same thing..possibly putting some sort of spacer between the tank and light. how did you mount it?

Actually I lied, I looked again and its about 1/2 an inch from the back of my tank. I just mounted mine to the wall behind my tank. When its on you can see the light shining on the wall and such, but it doesnt bother me because its only on from midnight till 8 am.....so no one sees it.

If you are worried about rust and such you could always use Krylon Fusion....or even that high temp paint used for brake calipers from your local autozone if you thought the heat was too much for the krylon.

I have those lights under my cabinets in the kitchen and they do tend to get hot so don't touch the glass after it has been on awhile...I got a nasty burn from doing that...

I just saw the LED version but they wanted $20...

If you are worried about rust and such you could always use Krylon Fusion....or even that high temp paint used for brake calipers from your local autozone if you thought the heat was too much for the krylon.

I have those lights under my cabinets in the kitchen and they do tend to get hot so don't touch the glass after it has been on awhile...I got a nasty burn from doing that...

I just saw the LED version but they wanted $20...

I got a set of 3 similar light at home depot for $30, they are 7W power compact packed into 3" round housing. It'll be low heat & better color temp. than halogen.

I no longer need them, so $20 shipped for all 3 if anyone have interest

I got a set of 3 similar light at home depot for $30, they are 7W power compact packed into 3" round housing. It'll be low heat & better color temp. than halogen.

I no longer need them, so $20 shipped for all 3 if anyone have interest

i tried looking for those, but couldn't find 'em. i ended up buying a jebo 5w compact and will not be using this light.

Archived