Cultivated Reef

Coral not as expected

hazmat

I'm wondering how many people have ordered corals online and it ends up looking totally different than what was represented.

More often or not?? Anyone care to discuss?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far I haven't been disappointed with what coral's I have bought but I've bought everything from reputable places. I would suggest WYSIWG coral from places like zoanuts etc..... it will make it very easy for you.

So far I haven't been disappointed with what coral's I have bought but I've bought everything from reputable places. I would suggest WYSIWG coral from places like zoanuts etc..... it will make it very easy for you.

Well.....

I just bought a coral from a very "reputable" online vendor and what I got is totally different from the picture that was displayed. I have bought from them before and what I got looked pretty much like the picture on the site.

So, hence, the question......

All I can say is that I spent quite a bit of money and I am very disappointed in what I got. Looks NOTHING like the picture.

masterbuilder

hummmmmm...so different that the order may have been mixed up or did you get shafted.

If you think you got the shaft..... tell us who...and save your friends from the same fate.

Mark

EDIT: Was is WYSIWYG? If not...its is a roll of the dice and its the risk you take.

+1 ^

Also, if it's a color issue, remember that most web sites use lots (and LOTS) of actinic to boost the colors - if your lights are closer to normal reef color temps, the color will be off.

hummmmmm...so different that the order may have been mixed up or did you get shafted.

If you think you got the shaft..... tell us who...and save your friends from the same fate

I'm not sure. The picture showed reds, greens, oranges and some yellow. What I got is totally rust brown. And I paid a but*load of money for it. I can't imagine that my lighting is going to make it look that different.

I've emailed them and waiting to see what their response is before "outing" them. I hate to give someone a bad rap if it was an honest mistake. My dealings with them so far have been good. That is why I'm so surprised at what I got.

Thats why I was asking the question.

Yes it was a WYSIWYG!!

chuckfullservice

The only corals I have ordered online were from Drs Foster and Smith and they lived up to my expectations.

I guess its all whom you order it from!

So if you order a coral and when you get it, it looks nothing like what you expected what is your recourse?

If it was a $20 zoa frag that would be one thing.....what do you do when you've dropped a serious wad of cash???

Yesterday I was crying...today I'm getting mad!

The one thing I can say is always, always look to see if the vendor says what kind of lighting they keep their corals under or what kind of lighting pics were taken under.

It can make a BIG difference.

The one thing I can say is always, always look to see if the vendor says what kind of lighting they keep their corals under or what kind of lighting pics were taken under.

It can make a BIG difference.

I agree. It does post the lighting they use. But I have recieved corals from them before and there hasn't been this kind of difference. Maybe I should let you guys be the judge of it......

well do you have the same type of lights that they do? If not then the coral can look very different as has been meationed before, however that being said brown will not turn to red, green, orange or yellow.

well do you have the same type of lights that they do? If not then the coral can look very different as has been meationed before, however that being said brown will not turn to red, green, orange or yellow.

I do not have the same lighting as they do. But does red, green, orange and yellow turn to brown? As well as the blue around the edges?

I do not have the same lighting as they do. But does red, green, orange and yellow turn to brown? As well as the blue around the edges?

I have seen brown seem blue under different lighting, best bet is tell us what you were trying to get and post a pic of what you got

I have seen brown seem blue under different lighting, best bet is tell us what you were trying to get and post a pic of what you got

OK. I will show you the picture of the coral from the vendor and the picture of the coral that I received.

It looks like you go the wrong coral from the picture. If you have actinic's does it look like the picture when you turn only them on? That photo looks *REALLY* blue btw. As in going for false advertising kind of blue. I think I know the vendor you used. I have not ordered from them because they use 20k MH lighting which blues the hell out of everything so I know what I would get will look *NOTHING* like what it does in their tanks when I put it in mine.

If you paid by CC or paypal you may want to file a dispute of goods until things get sorted out. For what I think you paid for that piece I would be hopping mad. Also what lights do you have? It looks like either PC or 10k MH...

I think it looks like there was a lot of blue in their lighting.

What kind of lighting did they advertise the coral being under and what kind of lighting do you have it under?

That really is a huge difference though.

What kind of coral did you get from them previously?

Is this an SPS coral? If so it could have browned up during shipping. I have gotten SPS that browned up considerably in just 24 hours.

Try moving it closer to your lights. Also make sure you are close to the vendor in wattage as in 250 to 250 or the like. Corals usually turn brown due to lack of light.

No, this is an LPS Aussie Acan Lord.

No, this is an LPS Aussie Acan Lord.

Yeah. I caught that after I posted and saw your photo. Please see my edited post.

I think it looks like there was a lot of blue in their lighting.

What kind of lighting did they advertise the coral being under and what kind of lighting do you have it under?

That really is a huge difference though.

What kind of coral did you get from them previously?

They have it under Guisemann bulbs. I'll have to get on the site and write down exactly what they use. I have a Red Sea which has 2 55watt T5 PCs. 50/50 of 10,000 white and actinic

Also what lights do you have? It looks like either PC or 10k MH...

good ole RSM lighting, which you know about ;)

They have it under Guisemann bulbs. I'll have to get on the site and write down exactly what they use. I have a Red Sea which has 2 55watt T5 PCs. 50/50 of 10,000 white and actinic

do you have PC's or T5's

If you have pc's I would have bought a lighting upgrage instead of that coral

Archived