Innovative Marine Aquariums

Al's New Table Top Rock layout 24G NanoCube

aparnold

Hello All,

I decided to set up a new Tank This weekend. A JBJ 24g DX w/ stock lighting. Upgraded the pump to a Maxi-Jet 1200. Upgraded output nozzle to a dual nozzle. 200w Stealth heater ( I know it's a bit high, but they were out of 150s).

1st Chamber: Carbon, Chemi-Pure Elite, Filter fiber.

2nd Chamber 5-8 pounds live rock.

3rd Chamber Pump and Heater.

20 Pounds Live Black Sand, 15 pounds Live Rock in Tank, and 5-8 pounds in rear chamber.

I wanted to lay the rock in a manner that allowed for fish to swim freely, avoiding A rock stack in the back of the tank. I am really happy with the layout, and am interested in feedback. :)

Future plans:

I'm not sure I'm completely happy with the flow right now. It seems a little week. I'm considering a Rio HF10, or Rio 1400. Although I've heard mixed reviews on the rio pumps. I'm still on the fence right now.

As for corals: softies. :) Including some of my softies from a 12g hqi I also own. (I can then move on to some hard corals in that tank).

post-32285-1213641945_thumb.jpg

post-32285-1213641953_thumb.jpg

post-32285-1213641963_thumb.jpg

post-32285-1213641970_thumb.jpg

My advice...

Make sure its stable like this, and DONT EVER MOVE IT AGAIN!

I looove it.

It is very stable. :) My wife and I went to 3 fish stores finding the perfect rocks. We then spent an hour hammering, and experimenting. All and all very pleased with the results. I was a little unsure about the clam shell, but I think it could make a nice little home for a fish some day.

Thanks for the compliment!

Nick's Reef

That looks amazing, i love it! it looks very natural and should give the fishies lots of hiding places. I'm tierd of all the rocks just stacked up in my tank, but with a bunch of brancy pieces you don't have much room for coral. In my next tank I will have to try to recreate this look. :D

That looks amazing, i love it! it looks very natural and should give the fishies lots of hiding places. I'm tierd of all the rocks just stacked up in my tank, but with a bunch of brancy pieces you don't have much room for coral. In my next tank I will have to try to recreate this look. :D

Thank you! The problem with a typical rock stack is that you are pressing the fish against the reef. This is not a natural environment, and can create husbandry issues. I read a great article in Aquarium Fish magazine that discussed emulating a more natural reef environment. (Nov. '07) There are no naturally occuring reef environments that ressemble most tanks. I think the fish and corals will be very happy with this layout. I guess I'm going for what was described in the article as a patch reef. (patches of rock surrounded by sand) I think most nanoreefers try and maximize what little real estate they have by stacking rock towards the back of the tank. It's also probably a lot more stable rock layout to boot! I hope to encourage a fast growing coral to carpet the branches. Maybe star polyps or xenias. I think it should look awesome. I will probably add a small cleanup crew in a few weeks, but I will add my first real livestock early august after I return from a vaction! Can't wait!

No need for coral IMO lol ;)

Coral's over rated IMO. I think rock is much more aesthetically appealing! LOL

Nice to see another branch rock enthusiast.

Great scape architecturally speaking!

I really like the organic look of it. Not great for stacking coral, but great for GSP!

I really enjoyed reading your tank thread too. That Urchin is rad ass. It made me start thinking about getting a 6line for my tank when the time comes too. Very nice.

I really like the organic look of it. Not great for stacking coral, but great for GSP!

I really enjoyed reading your tank thread too. That Urchin is rad ass. It made me start thinking about getting a 6line for my tank when the time comes too. Very nice.

Cool, thanks for visiting. I love the urchin because he's very gentle on corals, but eats pretty much any algae I ever had in the tank as long as he (?) can get to it. The GSP would work great on the branch rock and it's really fast growing.

About the sixline, I would recommend that you wait for quite a while for the micro-fauna to become established before you get it. I think I got mine too early and I he destroyed micro-fauna in my tanks. He's a very efficient predator!

Cool, thanks for visiting. I love the urchin because he's very gentle on corals, but eats pretty much any algae I ever had in the tank as long as he (?) can get to it. The GSP would work great on the branch rock and it's really fast growing.

About the sixline, I would recommend that you wait for quite a while for the micro-fauna to become established before you get it. I think I got mine too early and I he destroyed micro-fauna in my tanks. He's a very efficient predator!

Yeah, I have a GSP in my 12g and it grows like freakin' mad. I think it would be awesome all over the branches.

As for the fish, I'm not really planning on any macro algae, so not a big deal there. Is that what it is you're referring to?

lakshwadeep

I think klarion is referring to the general idea that carnivorous fish like wrasse and dragonettes, who eat pods constantly, will destroy your pod population (the micro-fauna mentioned) if it hasn't had enough time to grow to sustainable levels. And so, it is suggested that you wait a long time after the tank has cycled to add the six-line.

I think klarion is referring to the general idea that carnivorous fish like wrasse and dragonettes, who eat pods constantly, will destroy your pod population (the micro-fauna mentioned) if it hasn't had enough time to grow to sustainable levels. And so, it is suggested that you wait a long time after the tank has cycled to add the six-line.

Ahh Pods... (duh) I've already seen a few in the new rock already. OK. No wrasse to start! More research to be done as well. I've actually been thinking about some plain' ol damsels as well. I think 3 or so darting around this rock could be quite entertaining! Not to mention the fact they're cheap and hardy.

Thanks for all the comments everybody!

Yup, that's exactly what I was trying to say, only better. Those sixlines can be feisty. They're like fish-hawks descending on prey. I once saw a sixline totally devastate a bristle worm, shredding it to bits.

If you get more than one, I hope they don't fight over territory. Not sure if that is the issue with the species because I never planned to have more than one. Tank's too small.

Really looking forward to end of cycle + life.:)

I took some more pictures, please enjoy:

Anybody think the shelf is the remains of an acan? What is the pink stuff on the rock?

post-32285-1213740473_thumb.jpg

post-32285-1213740483_thumb.jpg

post-32285-1213740496_thumb.jpg

Had my diatom outbreak this week. I added 5 Margarita snails. My water parameters are still all unreadable. (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) I think this is going to be a very soft cycle. I had the same soft cycle with my 12g. I'm using rock and water from the same LFS, so all good!

Here's a picture of one of the new snails munching on the yummy algae... Good times.

post-32285-1214344501_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks like my tank is getting an hour or two sunlight every day. I'm having blinds installed next week to keep the house cool during the summer, but weather permitting, it should be nice!

My diatoms have subsided, and a bit of macro algae has sprung up. I picked up 4 scarlet hermits today too! They seem to be munching away on it already.

post-32285-1215131849_thumb.jpg

post-32285-1215131856_thumb.jpg

post-32285-1215132153_thumb.jpg

post-32285-1215132161_thumb.jpg

post-32285-1215132167_thumb.jpg

post-32285-1215132171_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, It's been 2 months! I added bubble and xenia corals from my 12 gallon. And introducing to the world my tanks new inhabitants: A pair of high fin gobys and a pistol shrimp, who unfortunately wasn't feeling too photogenic today.

post-32285-1217453189_thumb.jpg

post-32285-1217453201_thumb.jpg

post-32285-1217453211_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived