Top Shelf Aquatics

chiller problem! asap help...

theonek

I've had it now for a month and i bought it new. i just noticed that when it turns on that it makes more noise then normal!... is this to be a concern? im worried

Is it making more noise than it did a month ago, or just more noise periodicaly?

What make/model skimmer are you using?

more noise now. its a jbj mini chiller good for up to 40 gallons. i think it has air bubbles in it. but not sure...

If you think it may be air and your chiller is placed some distance from your tank, the pump may not be strong enough to clear the line. If this is the case, try picking up the chiller and moving it closer to the tank. Elevating it may be enough for the pump to clear the lines.

I am not running the JBJ, so I am not intimately familiar with your chiller. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Also, it might help others if you describe the noise it is now making. Is the noise intermittant or continuous?

i really don't know how to say what the noise is like, maybe like a running toilet then it stops... i really believe that it does have air bobbles now...I'm trying to find something on the web for it to troubleshoot but cant find it...

where in socal are you? might be willing to check it out, seeing as its gonna get hot next week. what pump is the chiller connected to?

pm me

I'm in nor cal( south bay) its hooked up to my stock pump on a 28g hqi... pretty sure its got air bobbles but the green light don't turn off and its not really cooling down no more... the bad i have a lot of rare stuff! this sucks! maybe a better pump? what kind if so?

the mini chiller needs a feed pump rated as follows:

Min-Max Flow: 110-160gph

now, given that the tank is most likely on a stand and the chiller below it, you also need a pump that when you take into account the head loss (flow lost due to going upward against gravity), it is doubtful the stock pump is making the minimum (especially if pump is not cleaned regularly)

put it on its own dedicated pump, and make sure all the connections on the chiller are tight and not allowing air to enter the feed or return lines. I'd consider a maxi-jet 900, as I think the maxi-jet 600 may not be strong enough (but would depend on the chiller location relative to the tank) as its max is 160gph, but will have losses as described above.

if you bought it at a lfs call and ask them. all jbj chillers have a 1 year MFG warranty fyi.

i just looked at the stock pump and it says right on the back 266gph. so that should be good enough... man this is very upsetting

RayWhisperer
i just looked at the stock pump and it says right on the back 266gph. so that should be good enough... man this is very upsetting
266 GPH probably wouldn't be enough if the chiller is on the floor and the tank is on the stand. As was said above, you have to consider head loss. There will also be more flow restriction from hose diameter, any bends, ball valves, distance the water has to travel, and the actual chiller itself(there are alot of coils that water has to go through.) Believe me, it all adds up.

Try this to get a close idea of what your pump is putting out after all of the above. Take a short length of hose and attatch it to the pump outlet. Use it to fill a one gallon jug. Time how long it takes to fill that jug. Use that number to figure out how many GPH you actually have, after the fact. For example, if it takes 30 seconds to fill one gallon, that would mean it's putting out 120 GPH. It doesn't take long to do, and you can pour the water right back in when you are done.

Is the chiller inline with the return or on a closed loop? Did I miss that part?

I never had trouble with air in the chiller - most coil from the bottom up making an easy escape for air bubbles. The trouble I had was in the pump and the leading end of ball valves, but a quick inversion fixed those.

OK i do thank you all for the help! but it is none of that. it was the fan! this unit is only 3-4 weeks old too so it makes no since to me but the lfs i bought it from said that they will replace it with no problems... oh boy am i happy to hear that...

`Kenny

Archived