Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

cmslick3 new Bio Cube 14

cmslick3

I decided not to thread-jack someone elses Bio Cube thread, apologies for the attempt.

I just got the 14 gallon Bio Cube to replace my failing fast AGA 2.5 gallon. I put in 20# of LS and 15# of LR half was new half was from previous tank. My corals are starting to perk back up and getting more color, all except for the Xenia I had. It's still struggling because it had fallen under a rock in the old tank and I didn't notice it.

I haven't had any of the heat problems that others are reporting. I do have a question about the skimmer which is available for the tank. I have it in the first chamber as the directions stated but the regular filter cartridge won't fit, is this "normal"? Also how far above the reaction chamber do the bubbles need to be? I had them just touching the top of the collection tube and that was apparently too high as I had a cup full of water after 6 hours.

Some other forums say that skimming such a small tank is probably overkill, any thoughts? I also have a mini-jet 400 between the intakes pushing forward.

As far as water maintenance goes I plan on doing weekly water changes of 1 gallon. I buy the SW pre-mixed at a LFS and add Instant Ocean to pick up the SG. I also have Kent essential elements, phyto-plex and Zoo-plex which I plan on adding weekly unless someone has a better suggestion.

The livestock is as follows:

1 large turbo snail, with assorted smaller ones.

1 blue hermit, soon to be more.

Lots of orange and black bristle worms - What's he verdict on beneficial vs not, should I remove them?

Toadstool

Zoathinds - newest piece.

Xenia - not looking so good.

Hammer

Mushrooms

Sun Polyp - gets fed bi-weekly with Rods Reef food.

Plans are to add some fish, sand sifters, more hermits...

I was just looking for help with the issues above. Pictures soon to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

OK since no one goes on descriptions alone here are the pictures.

I also have a few more questions, especially for other owners of the BC14...

If you are using the BC skimmer where do you have your bubble level set at? I get a cup of mostly water every day and this doesn't seem right.

I have a lot of blowing debris in the water, I tried fitting the stock filter in the 1st chamber but there's no way it will fit with the skimmer in there. I did put fome polyfil in the drip lid to the 2nd chamber but that's not doing much. Suggestions?

My reef pictures and video.

Archived