Cultivated Reef

scorpionfish/eels/dwarf lionfish decision

zhubbell

Ok i'm setting up for my brother a 24x18x15 (28G) with a 10G sump/fuge.

He wants either an eel, a dwarf lionfish, or scorpionfish/frogfish

could any of those coexist?

could any of those pair with any other possible cool inhabitant choices?

species suggestions on eel

could any of those have a tank in which zoas/shrooms/leathers and/or Clams?

what are each's invert incompatabilities?

suggestions about these three, or even suggestions about any other great ideas for what to have him do....

Thanks

CarterNichols
Ok i'm setting up for my brother a 24x18x15 (28G) with a 10G sump/fuge.

He wants either an eel, a dwarf lionfish, or scorpionfish/frogfish

could any of those coexist?

could any of those pair with any other possible cool inhabitant choices?

species suggestions on eel

could any of those have a tank in which zoas/shrooms/leathers and/or Clams?

what are each's invert incompatabilities?

suggestions about these three, or even suggestions about any other great ideas for what to have him do....

Thanks

off topic, did your koralia come in the mail?

travis2008

I believe that those animals can live together, but they are all predators and that means that they produce a lot of waste raising nitrate levels. In a tank that size i would probably start with one eel or one lion fish and see if the tank can handle more nitrates in the water.

Is this going to be a reef tank with coral?

Well - thats ones of my questions....

what if any of these creatures can coexist with corals?

from what I know about these creatures, I dont know why they wouldn't be able to live together, but I feel like I've heard before that they are not reef safe....

anyone know?

CarterNichols
I believe that those animals can live together, but they are all predators and that means that they produce a lot of waste raising nitrate levels. In a tank that size i would probably start with one eel or one lion fish and see if the tank can handle more nitrates in the water.

Is this going to be a reef tank with coral?

just ignore this...^^^^^

but again, did you get the k.nano i sent?

as for your question the tank is a little on the small side

you may be able to do a volitan lion fish, but it would be only him, they'll eat anything small than itself and their fins can irritate corals i believe

eels are a huge no no, you would need 50g+ to keep one of those.

leaf fish or sailfins maybe your only bet, they aren't really recommended for reefs and once again it would be the only fish in the tank..

I have a Wartskin Angler and a Dwarf Golden Moray Eel, some inverts, CUC and Coral in a 24 Gallon Aquapod Reef Tank and have a peaceful tank with perfect water. Just gotta stick with the small stuff and you should be fine.

Dwarf Golden Moray Eels only grow to be between 10" - 12", and the Wartskin Anglers don't get over 4". Both of those would fit what he's looking for, and not to mention are just AMAZING animals. They can both be a tad bit on the pricey side and somewhat hard to find but shop around...it'll pay off!

Here's what I have in this 24 Gallon Aquapod to break it down for you just to give you an idea of what I have in a tank similar to what you're wanting to do for your brother:

Fish:

Wartskin AnglerDwarf

Golden Moray Eel

Inverts:

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Banded Coral Shrimp

Pistol Shrimp

Sallylightfoot Crab

Emerald Crab

Arrow Crab

Red Sea Star

Feather Duster

Red Coco Worm

6 Blue Legged Dwarf Hermit Crabs

8 Misc. Snails (1 Turbo, 2 Astrea, 2 Nassarius, 2 Trohus, 1 Margarita)

Coral:

Lots of Misc. Zoas and Polyps

Mushroom Coral

Toadstool Mushroom

syntax_error
you may be able to do a volitan lion fish, but it would be only him, they'll eat anything small than itself and their fins can irritate corals i believe

eels are a huge no no, you would need 50g+ to keep one of those.

A volitan is too big for that tank size. A fuzzy dwarf or dwarf lionfish would suit. You can keep corals with lionfish, but as mentioned, their fins can irritate corals. Also, they like to pearch on things, so it might decide a corals would be a nice place place to pearch on.

Most eels wont fit your criteria. A Dwarf Golden Moray Eel would be the best.

As for whether they can coexist..I donno

travis2008

just ignore this...^^^^^

Carter.

One dwarf eel or One dwarf lion fish can live in a 28 gallon. I don't see how that is wrong.

You are one of the most unpleasant posters on this forum. But forums need people like you or it would become boring, I just feel sorry for those who's online personality is so pessimistic. I assume that you might be a nice guy and if you were in the flesh you would not have the courage to say half the things you say here. I respect your opinions and you seem to know your reefs, but do you have to be so disrespectful of others opinions?

CarterNichols
just ignore this...^^^^^

Carter.

One dwarf eel or One dwarf lion fish can live in a 28 gallon. I don't see how that is wrong.

You are one of the most unpleasant posters on this forum. But forums need people like you or it would become boring, I just feel sorry for those who's online personality is so pessimistic. I assume that you might be a nice guy and if you were in the flesh you would not have the courage to say half the things you say here. I respect your opinions and you seem to know your reefs, but do you have to be so disrespectful of others opinions?

well not to be mean, but what you said was just wrong. I don't know if you just don't know what the word "predator" means but being a predator has nothing to do with the size of it's bio-load.

and i am more of a realist than a pessimist..

and if that is you in your avatar i don't think i would be able to stop laughing enough to get words out..

Ok, I know a volitan wldnt work, and I know a dwarflionfish wld

I know that most eels won't but there are kinds (aka dwarf morays) wld

how big wkd I have to go for a ribbon eel?

I know none are great with coral, but as far as I know they don't *eat* coral right?

this has unfortunately turned into a big fight

thanks therupet - that's exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for

Ok, I know a volitan wldnt work, and I know a dwarflionfish wld

I know that most eels won't but there are kinds (aka dwarf morays) wld

how big wkd I have to go for a ribbon eel?

I know none are great with coral, but as far as I know they don't *eat* coral right?

this has unfortunately turned into a big fight

thanks therupet - that's exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for

I think Ribbon Eels are absolutely beautiful, but all of my research suggests that they are delicate and quite difficult to keep.

I LOVE frogfish, but theruperts good luck aside, I would NEVER try to keep them with anything else. They will try to eat anything, including critters larger than themselves. This usually ends up in at least one death. I think it's great that therupert has been able to do it, but I just wouldn't be willing to tempt fate like that myself.

I think your BEST combo would be a dwarf lion and a dwarf moray, but that would quite likely put a high bio-load on the tank and I definitely wouldn't try it without quite a capable skimmer.

Weetabix - you continuously prove to be a reefer of my own thoughts.

I had infact logged on already set in my plan to combine both a dwarf lionfish, and a dwarf Moray Eel...

And yes - I will have a top notch skimmer (I was planning on a Tunze 9002 - any comments/suggestions), and I"ll have a Mag3 as the return.

The Stocking list will also include coral.

Since both these creatures are somewhat difficult to find, all that often, I will have the tank set up in 2 weeks at the most, and send the time while I"m waiting to find the best specimens, I will seed a few colonies of good, hearty, fast spreading corals, and let their colonies establish them selves, and get large enough, and attached to the infrostructure of the rockwork for stability since I understand, some prics/problems may occur, but i think with this method they will do just fine.

Weetabix - you continuously prove to be a reefer of my own thoughts.

Well you must be SUPER SPIFFY then!!! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing this one take shape.

A dwarf ("golden" although most are pale) moray would be perfect (gymnothorax melatremus)

Thats exactly what I was thinking...I have also seen a few different places the "dwarf banana Moray Eel" is this the same as the golden??

Oh - and hey!

I heard that a coral banded shrimp couldn't live harmoniously with any other types of shrimp....is this incorrect?

anyone?

lakshwadeep
Thats exactly what I was thinking...I have also seen a few different places the "dwarf banana Moray Eel" is this the same as the golden??

Probably, it is very pale yellow (almost white), but there is one pic of a "freak" truly golden specimen that is shown on online sites:

freak:

0334A8C204E04D5BBEF0391FF0FA573B.jpg

normal:

IMG_0562.jpg

Coral banded shrimp are pretty aggressive; although, the eel may make short work out of it. Some people have stated that their CBS would try to catch small fish (mainly in <15 gallons).

CarterNichols
Oh - and hey!

I heard that a coral banded shrimp couldn't live harmoniously with any other types of shrimp....is this incorrect?

anyone?

Mine was always aggressive towards fellow tank mates, IMO they aren't worth the trouble, however i believe it varies from shrimp to shrimp, in that case i was just unlucky

Coral banded shrimp are pretty aggressive; although, the eel may make short work out of it. Some people have stated that their CBS would try to catch small fish (mainly in <15 gallons).

Are you saying the eel would eat him?

therupert says hes keeping a cleaner shrimp and a CBS with an eel, is this another way in which his luck is not something to count on?

Im hoping I can keep some cool inverts with an eel and Dwarf lionfish

I was thinking Cleaner Shrimp, Arrow Crab, Porcelain Crab (if/when I have an anemone), Decorator crab perhaps...

let me know if any of this would work.

Urchinhead

If the eel is well fed the CBS or any other invert for that matter may do ok. Eels tend to be opportunistic predators which means that if its available, easy, and edible they will eat it.

Same goes for the lion fish. If it can fit it in its mouth its going to eat it if its available.

Arrow crab will most likely eat the other crab and possibly the lion fish if it can. And the anemone is going to be problematic with the spines on the lion fish...

The downside is that in a tank that small you are going to have a high loading from the required feeding. I would look at a 9005 over a 9002 if I were you and a good sump/fuge as well to offset things. Like a larger scale 14 Mark 2 Mod 0.

Archived