ReefCleaners.org

fw2sw-wannabe's rimless ADA 18" cube

fw2sw-wannabe

fw2sw-wannabe

here's my current 10 gallon...

old10g002.jpg

old10g003.jpg

old10g004.jpg

I'm moving across town and getting married in a month. Here's the expected upgrade, an 18" ADA cube:

newcube001.jpg

newcube002.jpg

Here's my thinking on livestock:

transfer all inhabitants (birdsnest, green acro, orange monti cap, gsp, xenia, frogspawn, candy cane, two scolymias, and one newly-purchased clown who is currently in QT)

buy another clown or a six-line, plus a yellow watchman or a midas blenny

add 15 lbs. of live rock (hopefully going to be curing this over the next month on my porch) and about 5 lbs. of live sand

I'll have a total of 25 lbs. of rock and 10 lbs. of sand in the new tank

Here's my thinking on equipment:

closed loop powered by an Eheim 1250 (running my chiller)

2 koralia nanos

2 aquaclear 35's

small cpr aquafuge, powered by a maxijet 600 attached to a surface skimmer

20" 150W sunpod

All equipment will be off the back, which I'll paint black. The aquafuge will sit on a shelf behind the tank, so as not to stress the frameless ADA cube. Don't want any disasters in the new place!

I'm thinking that there might be a mini-cycle when I add all the stuff to the new tank. Should I keep the SPS in the QT tank until things settle, or would it be best to just toss it all in and hope for the best? Should I expect another diatom outbreak? Hopefully there will be no cyano this time... that took a long time to conquer in the 10 gallon!

Any advice or thoughts?

Hey that 18" ADA looks great can I ask where you purchased it and how much it ended up costing w/ shipping? Also do you know if the bottom is tempored? Im thinking about setting up the same take with a central overflow. Heres my current cube, Goodluck to ya!

aquariumpicture.jpg

fw2sw-wannabe
Hey that 18" ADA looks great can I ask where you purchased it and how much it ended up costing w/ shipping? Also do you know if the bottom is tempored? Im thinking about setting up the same take with a central overflow. Heres my current cube, Goodluck to ya!

aquariumpicture.jpg

it was 'spensive. Got it for at www.adana-usa.com in San Francisco, but shipped to NJ. Total with shipping topped $300... don't tell my gf!

I wish it was drillable, but it seems that people around here say not-so-much. Even if it wasn't a tempered bottom, I would be worried about disturbing the silicone-job drilling it. The glass is kinda thin (6 mm), and there is nothing holding it together but the silicone!

Does anyone know if the ADA cube tanks are tempered? I know that they sell some pre-drilled aquariums, but has anyone drilled one themselves? I'm soooo tempted, but scared. What if I break it? I already bought it...

• 3 weeks later...

Update!! lol i LOVEEE ADA tanks!

What kind of filtration and water movement are you planning on? Thinkin about a sump?

• 3 weeks later...
fw2sw-wannabe

yeah, zhubbel is building me a sump. I'm drilling the bottom tomorrow. Wish me luck! Everything is finally coming in, just in time for me to leave on my honeymoon for two weeks. :unsure:

Update!! lol i LOVEEE ADA tanks!

What kind of filtration and water movement are you planning on? Thinkin about a sump?

• 1 month later...
fw2sw-wannabe

well, I did it.

drilled an ADA, put in an internal overflow, installed a custom sump in the cabinet, etc.

after waiting for the sump, and buying some water

fish001.jpg

and a week of moving stuff from the old apartment, the tank is running!

fish014.jpg

fish010.jpg

sorry for the blurry pix. I need to get out my tripod.

fish011.jpg

fish012.jpg

fish013.jpg

pix of the sump to follow.

fw2sw-wannabe

Here's a pic of the sump. I have a coralife mini-aqualight on a reverse-photoperiod mounted inside the cabinet to light the fuge.

sump001.jpg

Yep, I'm jealous. Tank looks amazing. I'm assuming it was buried in the corner to keep it near an outlet. I'd make that tank the center piece of the room if I could.

fw2sw-wannabe
Yep, I'm jealous. Tank looks amazing. I'm assuming it was buried in the corner to keep it near an outlet. I'd make that tank the center piece of the room if I could.

thanks, EnjoiFish!

the tank is in the corner partly because of the outlet (which I just installed/upgraded), partly because of the wife (whom I just married). this is our one and only living room (16' X 16')! my piano took up enough space... I wanted to make the cube viewable on all four sides, but that will have to wait until the next apartment. :(

• 5 months later...
fw2sw-wannabe

Time for an update...

I've been finishing up my doctorate, so I've been mostly writing, practicing, and studying. Naturally, that means getting lost in my tank-related activities... my necessary diversion!

I removed the eggcrate to more easily service the tank. No one's jumped yet, so I think it should be fine. It looks SOOO much better. I had to fashion a shade for the pendant light, though, as it was making our living room blue. :(

Here's a current FTS's, from the front and side (I look at this tank while sitting next to it on the couch, most of the time):

P1000144.jpg

P1000145.jpg

I bought a 2.5" blue maxima clam. I know I shouldn't have, but I couldn't resist. I now feed DT's every other day. Here's hoping!

P1000146.jpg

I also got a huge (by nano-standards) toadstool and some sort of acro. Methinks I'll be fragging the toadstool soon.

P1000150.jpg

My birdsnest is growing like crazy! After moving him closer to the powerhead, he started getting some brown gunk on him. I've moved him back to the middle, and since then it appears to be doing better.

P1000149.jpg

I have a couple of small patches of GHA, but most of it is in the fuge. It is SERIOUSLY nasty in there. I prune out the chaeto... sometimes. I also threw some xenia frags in there from the mother colony "upstairs". They're not doin' that great. I guess it's the low flow and low-ish light of the fuge area. Oh, well.

P1000140.jpg

Archived