Top Shelf Aquatics

Yet Another 5.5 AIO

aminalcwakerz

WOW! That is awesome! Nice arched rockwork and a great variety of color and shapes. Looking good for only three months old..

aminalcwakerz

the tank is a 5.5 gallon AGA that i modded, inspired by Sandeep's thread. I'm using a maxijet900 pump, It's pretty strong for this tiny tank, but i'm blowing it into the open, and then it disperses out. In the back there are 2 chambers. The first one I have filterfloss and chaeto, and in the second one I have LR rubble and the pump. My lighting is a Viper 150w light from my nanocube I had(which i took down. I will be setting that back up after i move) It's hung about 6 inches above the surface of the water. Heat's becoming an issue, but I have a little fan that turns on as the light turns on. But sometimes thats not enough and I have to turn on a second fan I have propped up. Water evaporation is pretty minimal. Overall, the tank is pretty stable. which makes me :D

the tank is a 5.5 gallon AGA that i modded, inspired by Sandeep's thread. I'm using a maxijet900 pump, It's pretty strong for this tiny tank, but i'm blowing it into the open, and then it disperses out. In the back there are 2 chambers. The first one I have filterfloss and chaeto, and in the second one I have LR rubble and the pump. My lighting is a Viper 150w light from my nanocube I had(which i took down. I will be setting that back up after i move) It's hung about 6 inches above the surface of the water. Heat's becoming an issue, but I have a little fan that turns on as the light turns on. But sometimes thats not enough and I have to turn on a second fan I have propped up. Water evaporation is pretty minimal. Overall, the tank is pretty stable. which makes me :D

Awesome, is it brighter in person? (I would imagion 150 Watts would just overpower such a small tank)

aminalcwakerz

Yea, it's a lot brighter in person, but so far they're all happy with the lighting. a few zoas on the bottom are even stretching upwards... which is weird... any ideas? I've only been using the bulb for about 4 months or so, so I don't think the bulb is getting old as of yet.

Wow love your seascaping, everything is perfectly proportionate and to scale making it look like a lot bigger tank that it really is. Certainly looks live a very mature tank and not a 3 month old one. Great job.

My only suggestion would be to stick the heater into the sump as it's visually distracting and one of the beauties of this design concept is that ability to get rid of wires, pumps and heaters from the main display. If you have too many live rocks in your sump, remove some to make room for the heater.

aminalcwakerz

That's not a heater; it's a strip of blue LEDs. I don't have a heater in the tank cuz the pump generates enough heat. I don't know where else to put the LEDs other than that location =\ Any ideas?

Oh I see, it sure looked like a heater.

Never seen one of those, do you use it to augment your main light, or do you use it at night?

Matty1124

very nice... i would take those leds out... you could mount them above the rim of the tank... this is a great pico... your zoas look great

aminalcwakerz

I'll try to move it out of the way and still have it effective. Does anyone know why my zoas are stretching on the bottom even though I have 150w MH?

Archived