Pod Your Reef

I used FWE

jennifro

Well I read all about it. I posted all about it. I talked to a few people who had done it and I don't know if it really worked!

I did the Flatworm Exit. I waited and waited and waited to see them die. They started to blow around in the current but when they got to a surface they would just start crawling again. I kept adding more and more. About 2 hours after I put the first dose in I saw one of my brittle star fish all curled up on my sand. I thought it was dead. I figured that there must be a bunch of dead flatworms in places I couldn't see. So I did everything I was supposed to do for the clean up part. I was only about to get a few FWs syphoned out. I just didn't see very many. When I first put the FWE in a bunch came out of the sand. There were way more then I have ever seen! But they just disappeared. They seemed to burrow into the sand before I could syphon them out. I am worried they are still down there. After i did my water change and the water cleared I counted 6 of my baby brittle starfish all curled up on top of the sand. They are usually in holes in the rocks and all spread out. I thought I killed them :( Then I saw 3 flatworms still moving around on the side of my tank! They were all the clearish/white ones though not the dark ones. So if I see a few now does that mean there are a bunch more? I am scared to try it again after seeing my starfish all dead like on the sand.

What do you guys think? I don't think I could have done anything wrong. I just don't understand how there can still be flatworms in there after all of that!

P.S. My starfish are not dead as I thought :) They are starting to move and uncurl. One already climbed onto a rock and another has disappeared. I am pretty sure it just crawled away. I don't think anything ate it!

I took it out then put new back in as soon as they started to die just like it said. I also took out my sponge and put in floss instead.

Today I think my starfish are dead or dyeing a slow painful death. One seem so be okay though so I am still hoping there is hope for the others. Could they just be in shock? Most are moving a little and respond to light. Could the just be in shock or are they dying in misery? Should I flush them to put them out of it or still give them a chance? I have a dead snail this morning too. 2 bristol worms that are iffy. They were both on the sand when I turned the lights on. Now the one that I thought was dead is gone and the one I thought was alive looks dead. I am getting some water heated up right now to do another water change. I don't now if I should plan for another one tonight or wait until tomorrow? Or wait until tomorrow, test my water and then decide? I feel so bad for all my little critters! My corals and the rest of my CUC seems fine. I saw 2 flatworms on the side of the tank that looked dead. Other then that I haven't seen any more. I feel like losing all my starfish and a snail was not worth it though :(

Well the good news is everything including the snail and the starfish in my tanks seem fine now. I think the water change revived everyone! I counted 15 starfish (before I only thought I had about 7 or 8) and now all but 5 of them have gone back into the rocks and the others are well on their way! The snail is out of it's shell and looking good too. I guess they just went into protection mode or something. I expected everyone to be upset but I didn't think they would all play dead! :)

The bad new is the 4 flatworms I saw in there this morning that I thought were dead came to life when I syphoned them out! I am sure a bunch did die to cause so much stress to my tanks but I guess it didn't take care of them all. :(

I don't know if I should do another water change tomorrow or not. I am thinking that I will just wait and see how every one is looking. I will take my water in to my LFS tomorrow and have them test to. They have better tests them I do!

I just dosed my tank as well.

But I didn't really expect FWE to kill the red flatworms because I've done a treatment previously, and the red flatworms came back. I think all they do is stun them, so they start floating around in the water.

I added way more 2x-3x than the recommended level, and the red flatworms still survived the first treatment.

I decided to go back to the tried and true way of killing flatworms when they still had the original threads about killing red flatworms at RC, but I think they deleted all of it. But I still had the knowledge in my head, so from memory, I got another chemical to kill them for good. Since it's from my memory, I don't want to start posting the chemical name in case it is not it. I did dose it last night along with FWE. I wrote about it in RC, but want to make sure it worked first. I'm still surprised that those old threads were deleted from RC because I was trying to figure out how much to dose.

Archived