ReefCleaners.org

Roc's 120 Gallon Big reef switch out. Last updated OCT2008

Roc!

Well I think I found my tank today I am hoping that it doesn't get bought up before I have a chance to pool funds. It's a custom made tru-vu 120 gal with center overflow and black back.

If this falls through I found a place that will sell me a 90 gal reef ready AGA for 300.00

I am not so sure about all the CL listings I have seen as the tanks are empty and they are not willing to show it will hold water. They also seem to be VARY dirty and that scares me becuase sometimes that can hide flaws.

Saw the skimmer I am thinking about today it's a PS-135 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer by AquaEuro USA, it comes to me on very good infomation that this is just as good as the Euro-Reef comprable model.

Now if I get this new tank it means I will also need to build a new stand as the foot print is 24"X24"X48" and my currant stand isn't wide enough, but I thoink if I have to build a new stand I might not get rid of the 55 gal tank I have now and instead use that as a sump/fuge

now I am starting to think about flow, a heater and lighting any seggustions?

I have a quiet one 2200 which puts out 600GPH would that be OK as a return pump?

If I get the tank I want it has holes cut in the overflow on the sides so I could plumb the retun to blow out some bulk head into both directions in the back, thien I was thinking maybe 2 hydors at 850 each insode the display.

Some ppl have meationsed runing a singe Mag 9 as the return well the other option (not disagreeing with the mag 9 idea) is this tank has predrilled holes for 2 returns, I could run 2 pumps one to each return. Like I said I have an unsed quiteone 2200 but I also have the quite one 1200.

FYI the quite 2200 is rated at 600GPH at 6 feet and the 1200 is rated at 300 GPH at 6 feet.

since the overflow is plumbed so that the returns come up from the bottom and then exit through the sides of the overflow box I could set it up to basicly have more flow directly going to one side then the other.

This tank is a monster and with a 24X24X48 footprint it would allow me to make kinda a high flow and lower flow sides to the tank.

Not sure how this would effect the flow going into the sump, but if I get this tank I'm thinking of using the 55 gal tank i have now (after a really good cleaning) as the sump/fuge. I could confiruge it so that the water came in one side, then went through a baffule then into the skimmer, then fuge where it could be heated, then back to the tank.

The Light I am planning to get for is a Nova Extreme Pro T5 High Output Lighting Fixture - 48 in

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/239340/product.web

I own a Nova extreme now over my 20 gal and I like it a lot.

The discussion of MH VS. T5 HO came to a head becuase to jump to a 2x 250 fixture would be a BIG jump in price and cost to run as well as the heat concerns. I don't really have any SPS and would be happy to add new ones to the top half of the tank, so issue resloved.

I have been looking at heaters would a 300 watt heater do for a 120 gal tank?

So here are a couple of quick Sketchup images I did of the way the overflow is designed on this tank. As you can see there is space precut for the returns to come out both sides of the overflow box. What isn't shown in these drawings is there is 3 holes cut in the bottom of the tank inside the overflow box

overflowmodel1kc4.jpg

overflowmodel2uh6.jpg

I picked up the tank today.

It is a 120 gallon custom Tru-Vu with a center overflow. I know I was going to go glass and I know I was getting a 90 but this one was marked down below wholesale and at 300.00 was to good to pass up.

Here is a pic of the bottom holes. I am going to end up running 2 returns from a single pump (looking at a 1260 GPH at 4 feet)

120galtank4-25-08001.jpg

Here is a not so good pic of the front (tank is still in need of a cleaning from the shipping material)

120galtank4-25-08003.jpg

Now I need to find some bulkheads localy

The Propagator

Looking good.

Suggestion though.... You actually want flow moving through your refugium from the sump. It will kill two birds with one stone and work every bit as well as isolating it. It can only uptake as fast as it grows ya know what I mean. And with a super low flow via airline feed form the main display I think things could literally start to rot and foul. The trick is to get the flow to enter from the bottom and rise up through your macro.

I'll snap a pic of mine off for you tonight so you can see what I mean. It will be much more effective that way.

Especially if you use chaeto. It grows wicked fast and sucks up nasties wicked fast too. Thats why alow of folks use it. Because it grows fast and sucks up nasties fast you don't have to slow the flow down to a crawl flowing through it.

Well I was able to sell everything from the 55 gal planted tank over the weekend, and then I tore down the stand.

My kids were around this weekend so they helped me start the build of the new stand. I went with 40" off the ground for maxium viewing pleasure (I figured what does it matter since this tank is 2' high getting in and around in it will be hard no matter what.

I used 4X4's as the legs and notched them for the top 2x4 side braces. I didn't get around to all the cross braces this weekend, maybe some day during the week. I still need to decide what I am doing for the outside and the doors. For sure the front and sides will get wrapped in 3/4" plywood.

120galReefbuild4-27-08006.jpg

120galReefbuild4-27-08001.jpg

I'm going to reverse the sump idea same thing but 4 becomes 1 etc

Well I ended up getting my Bulkheads online. They were a pretty good price from Coral Reef Supply.

I got Item Name: 2 X 1" Bulkhead Threaded for the dual returns, 1 X 3/4" Bulkhead Threaded for the overflow. I thought it would be easier to deal with threaded to and from the overflow/returns. I also got 2 X 3/4" Bulkhead Slip to return the water out both sides of the overflow box. I figured I didn't need a threaded side inside the tank. All of this shipped cost 39.18 shipped

Ok after looking around some and taking into consideration some of the things being said I redid a sump/fuge design.

What are everyones thoughts of this design

Sumpredesign.jpg

Ok, after listening to what everone had to say( on some other forums) I think this is the final sump/fuge design.

Both drains will have ball valves so I can adjust the flow accordingly.

sumpdesign2.jpg

I did a mock up of the flooded standpipe design.

the water will drop about an inch from the overflow teeth

1" PVC Return pipe will Tee off to 2 3/4 bulkheads located on sides of overflow box

3/4" PVC will be used for the taller drain pipe. It is set right at water level will be tweeked with ball valve to accept 2-5% of drain water

1" PVC will be used for shorter drain pipe. It is set 2" below water level and will be tweeked to accept 98-95% of drain water.

Again excuse my sketchup skills

from the back (of course you would never actually be able to see this view)

Floodedstandpipefromback.jpg

from the front (I made the front piece of overflow box see through for this purpose)

Floodedstandpipefromfront.jpg

And from the side (mainly to show side teeth)

Floodedstandpipefromside.jpgGot my bulkheads today they fit like a glove

I found out by moving some stuff around I can put this new tank on a wall with no windows behind it :!!: Jrock

I finished all the framing today this thing could hold 6,000 lbs if it had to

Here it is right before I added the cross brace

120gallontank4-30-08.jpg

I started moving some of my LR into a container to de-aptasia it before it goes in the new tank

20gallongreef4-29-08010.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well I was banned for awhile and couldn't update this but here is everthing up-to-date

Here is the pics of drilling out the holes in the top for the powerhead cords

120galreef5-8-08002.jpg

I finished the baffles ( I think I tried to do to much in one night after a long day at work, and they are kinda messy but won't be seen when I make the doors this weekend). I also did the under cabinet plumbling for the drains, I can't do the return until my pump shows up tomorrow.

120galreef5-8-08003.jpg

I have been adding saltwater all week. I have been going slow becuase I can't rush since the overflow ins;t hooked up right now anyway, but now I am at the point where I really need more rock (one look at this pic and you'll know I am NOT kidding). I have about 20lbs or so in my 20 gal still but it can't go in the tank until last becuase it is covered in corals. I figure I need another 60lbs at least to get the look I am going for.

120galreef5-8-08004.jpg

I have found a couple of places online to buy the black elbows for the return inside the tank but they are super expensive.

Pic with lights on (ignore the cord you can see that for the heater which will be in the sump once everything is plumbed)

You can almost hear the tank saying Add More Rock To Me

120galreef5-8-08.jpg

Well I just tested the water ( I threw a shrimp in there a couple of days ago) and these are the peramiters

Ph - 8.2

nitrate/NO3 - 0

Ammonia/NH3/NH4 - 0

Nitrite/NO2 - 0

Looking good

I got home really late tonight and only had time to shoot a couple of pics but these should keep everyone wanting more..............

120galreef5-12-08001.jpg

120galreef5-12-08002.jpg

Everything is going pretty good, this heatwave was interesting but I showed no death's or stress to fish or corals.

I am starting to put things where I want them to be 9I mean more direct corals as I already made SPS, Zoa, Ric/Yuma sections)

I am very happy with the rock work and everything seems realy stable.

I still get some mirco bubbles and think it might be just fine turning the overflow Vs. return.

And now for some Pics

FTS

120galreef5-17-08015.jpg

Yellow tang

yellowTang5-17-08.jpg

Blue Hippo Tang

bluehippotang5-17-08.jpg

the tangs together

tangs5-17-08.jpg

Ric/Yuma corner

120galreefRicrock5-17-08012.jpg

a gift when I got my rock

120galreef5-13-08004.jpg

I finished the stand today and thought I would throw up some pics

Pictures003.jpg

Pictures006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot.

Well I have been trying to slove the mirco bubbles every 2-5 mins issue. I was giving a tip to completely wrap the skimmers drain pipe in foam, as the bubbles might have been a coming into the return pumps area, but unfornatly it did not work.

I was able to snap some shots last night, and everything is doing really well, I even discovered what appears to be a yuma hitchhiker on some live rock I bought. When I 1st noticed it it just looked like a spot, but lately it has begun to grow some ridges and bumps. Any ideas?

ALL SHOTS NOT ADJUSTED FOR COLOR BALANCE IN PS

120galreef6-10-08006.jpg

Here are some pics of the rest of the tank

FTS

120galreef6-10-08026.jpg

Yuma. ric rock

120galreef6-10-08008.jpg

120galreef6-10-08009.jpg

xenia

120galreef6-10-08011.jpg

candy canes

120galreef6-10-08007.jpg

Zoa corner

120galreef6-10-08032.jpg

120galreef6-10-08005.jpg

open brain

120galreef6-10-08031.jpg

SPS - Not sure what MOST of these actualy are so any help would be great)

120galreef6-10-08024.jpg

120galreef6-10-08027.jpg

120galreef6-10-08028.jpg

120galreef6-10-08030.jpg

Clowns and their home

120galreef6-10-08029.jpg

120galreef6-10-08033.jpg

120galreef6-10-08035.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's been awhile since I posted any pics, no FTS today as I want a couple of frags new placements to fill in and color up, but I got some shots of the corals themsleves

Zoas

120galcorals7-8-08003.jpg

120galcorals7-8-08004.jpg

120galcorals7-8-08005.jpg

120galcorals7-8-08016.jpg

120galcorals7-8-08017.jpg

Chalice

120galcorals7-8-08006.jpg

Acan from NCNRS coral train

120galcorals7-8-08007.jpg

Acan from trade with Joel

120galcorals7-8-08008.jpg

My 1st BAR DBTC coral - :)

120galcorals7-8-08009.jpg

Ric / Yuma Garden

120galcorals7-8-08010.jpg

Ric/yuma close-ups

120galcorals7-8-08011.jpg

120galcorals7-8-08012.jpg

120galcorals7-8-08013.jpg

xenia from Marc

120galcorals7-8-08015.jpg

Sexy Shrimp

Roc that is beautiful. Great aquascaping too.

But did anyone tell you you can't keep tangs in a nano - and certainly not 2 :P

Roc that is beautiful. Great aquascaping too.

But did anyone tell you you can't keep tangs in a nano - and certainly not 2 :P

They did tell me that at the store but then I asked them how were the tangs doing in the little ass 10 gallon tanks and when they responded they only sold healthy fish I thought I would be OK........... ;)

Looks nice. :)

I hope I'll have that degree of success someday.

Thanks a lot..................

Just looked through all your pictures again and it looks even better 2nd time round.

Thanks a lot, I owe so much about what I have leraned to this site and my reef club. I only started my 1st SW tank last year, and have (knocks on wood) never really had any issues and lots of succuss.

Well I have been getting lots of little SPS (and a couple of LPS) frags recently, and have now moved my xenia to a different part of the tank as it was trying to take over my SPS area (by the way if you would like some PM me as I need to crop some stalks off the rocks right next to the old location maybe I will do DBTC with it hummmmmmmmm) Anyway I have recently gotten

Oregen tort, Orange Crush Acan, a purple with green mothed chalice (which I didn't take a good pic of), A Deep Blue Tipped Acropora (don't know common name), A Red/Pink Acropora Millepora (don't know common name), A Bright Neon Green Acropora (don't know common name), and another SPS that I forgot what the member called it when they traded it to me (heip can you help ?)

here are the frags on the rack awaiting me getting some time to place them

Corals7-16-08004.jpg

The Propagator

The two closest in the photo are mileporas. Green , and Rose mileporas.

Middle right.. ?

Rear left looks like a valida from here but need a much better pic to ID. Same for the rear right.

The two closest in the photo are mileporas. Green , and Rose mileporas.

Middle right.. ?

Rear left looks like a valida from here but need a much better pic to ID. Same for the rear right.

Thanks for the partial ID's, when I get them mounted on the rock I will be able to get much better pics.

Archived