Pod Your Reef

Redsea Max Water Evaporation Rate

skp

Hi, does anyone know the approximate water evaporation rate for the redsea max 34 gallon?

i read somewhere that it's 2 liters per 24 hours. is this true? my biocube 14 needed about 1 cup of freshwater a day. although the redsea max holds a bit over 3 times the capacity, the water surface area is just about double. you would think that water would evaporate just twice as much only requiring 2 cups...no? does the majority of the evaporation probably occur while the lights are on? the temp is at 80-81 while the lights are on and it drops to 79-80 at night. i am planning to puchase/make an auto top off unit after i get my last 18 pound piece of liverock cured and put into the tank.

thanks for any help

land_lubber

Depends if you are running the extra fan that comes with it or not. When I am running the fan I have to top off about 2 liters a day and if I'm not running the fan it would be a couple of cups a day.

i have my fan in the back corner set on a timer and it starts 5 min after my lights turn on and stops 5 min after my lights turn off. do you have your fan on 24 hours?

my ato kicks on once or twice druing the day. Over a week it goes through around 12 quarts/48cups/3 gallons

my rear fan is on 24/7, it is hooked into the powerstrip that my ATO and koralia is in. So i guess if i turn that off it isn't running, but that is only during maintenace and feeding.

i wonder how much that little fan really affects the temp. so having that fan on will raise evaporation from 2 cups to 2 liters.. but i think the temp is less than 1 degree cooler with that fan on as opposed to off. anyone else notice this?

i like that little fan. I actually wired in a new transformer. Went from the stock i think 7v to 9v. It spins it faster and gives more heat exchange in the summer. I noticed the temps drop when I upgraded the power

• 3 months later...
i like that little fan. I actually wired in a new transformer. Went from the stock i think 7v to 9v. It spins it faster and gives more heat exchange in the summer. I noticed the temps drop when I upgraded the power

StevieT - Where di you get a transformer to upgrade? Was there much work involved in the change?

StevieT - Where di you get a transformer to upgrade? Was there much work involved in the change?

ha, i see you digging up some old threads.

I had it laying around, I save all sorts of stuff like that. If anything you can go to radio shack and find a DC transformer cheap. All I did was cut the wires from the fan and the transformer, butt connected them together. It took a whole 5 mins, but I have experience and the supplies around.

Archived