ReefCleaners.org

Fiction's 14G BioCube

fiction101

I broke down my 24g and was planning on taking a break from the hobby, which lasted about a week so I'm starting up a brand new tank.

Here are the specs:

14G BioCube

70w sunpod with a 14k astralux bulb

Maxi-jet 900 for the return pump

stealth 50w heater

12 pounds of live rock

10 pounds of sand

For filtration I'm just using filter floss at the moment, but I would like to add a small cpr aquafuge on the back if possible.

The tanks only been cycling for 3 days, so I wont be adding any live stock for a bit.

Full tank/stand shot

Tank-2.jpg

Front tank shot

front-1.jpg

side tank shot

side.jpg

looking good... will be following

my light looks pretty good in your tank. looks identical to my set up :) will be following your thread.

looking good... will be following

my light looks pretty good in your tank. looks identical to my set up :) will be following your thread.

I seriously Thought you where quiting I got sad that my clove buddy left the hobby :P anyways welcome back lol

lol

Don't worry I'll be on track soon and keeping you company on the clove thread. :D

I need to track down the girl that bought all my clove polyps! I'm going to see if she can frag some of them.

I told my LFS that I was planning on stocking two pom pom crabs in my 14g a couple days ago, so she ended up special ordering them and got them this morning. I wasn't planning on adding them so soon but they didn't have anywhere to keep them so I bought them. I'm hopin they survive, I already have two hitchhiking crabs that have been doing good since I got them last week. She also was trying to get me to buy a small BTA, but adding one after only a week is crazy talk! Now I'll go back to waiting another week before I add a CUC or anything else to the tank (uuh it's going to be a long week)... :)

I'm getting a nice diatom bloom. I forgot what this actually represents in relation to the cycle, is this the end part and should I do a water change or is the tank still cycling?

diatom.jpg

Diatoms are usually at the end. How are your pom poms doing?

They're doing great so far, I was moving some rocks around this morning and I saw them run out together waving their pom poms. They seem to get along. :D

I've been getting the urge to buy a coral but I'm afraid the diatoms will smother it.. Hopefully after this week everything will be good to go. :)

That's good to hear! They are tough little guys. I just picked up a second one last week. Haven't seen mine together though.

Do you have any snails yet? What are your coral stocking plans? I'm considering getting a sunpod for my AP12, but the hubby is not thrilled by the idea of an open-top tank again (salt creep).

I will for sure be following this. I love the sunpod! I just got mine! check my thread out. I see you got the coralline off, that's good. It looks Just as good!

I really love your rockscape. BTW what did you use to get it off?

That's good to hear! They are tough little guys. I just picked up a second one last week. Haven't seen mine together though.

Do you have any snails yet? What are your coral stocking plans? I'm considering getting a sunpod for my AP12, but the hubby is not thrilled by the idea of an open-top tank again (salt creep).

I just have one margarita snail and a scarlet hermit crab, I plan on getting more at the end of the week.

I think I just might stick with softies, like palys, cloves and mushrooms. Maybe a purple tipped frogspawn and a small duncan colony. :)

Salt creep was never a problem on my 24g ap w/ a sunpod, I would just clean it off with a wet paper towel every once in a while. I can't picture it being a reason not to go with a open top. The 70w sunpod is a great light fixture and looks/works great on a 12g ap. Plus you can get a small cpr refugium if you go with the open top. ;)

I will for sure be following this. I love the sunpod! I just got mine! check my thread out. I see you got the coralline off, that's good. It looks Just as good!

I really love your rockscape. BTW what did you use to get it off?

Ya, I saw it on your thread. It looks great, do you plan on switching out the stock bulb?

Thanks, I'm trying to keep the rock work simple this time. I have exactly 12 pounds so I think I should have enough. As for removing the coralline algae, I laid a wet rag over the back and poured white vinegar on it and let it soak for 5min. (a person on here mentioned doing it) and it came off really easily. :)

Awesome man, I'm swapping the bulb as soon as I can. (after prom :() Haha. You have similar rock scape as to what I was thinking for my 20L. IF I get it. I'll be sure to pop in every now and than. Goodluck Brian!

That sounds up to par. People might not like the amount of blue legs though. I have 5 in the display and 5 in my fuge. If you saw?

I added more snails and hermits today, now I have 4 scarlets, 1 blue legged hermit, 2 margarita snails and 2 nass snails. I was told none of them to would eat diatoms but they have wiped most of it out from the sand bed. :)

I forgot all the names once I got to the lfs, I'm going to sea splendor tomorrow so I'll ask them about nerites and turbos.

hmm between 11-12 I think. Oh if your looking for like rock, I was told they're getting a new batch in on Friday.

Added 4 astrea snails and and 3 cerith snails. I think I'm set CUC wise. :)

Last thing I need right now is more LR. Haha, any new corals? Check it out for me!

They didn't anything new in today, they still have a lot of nice zoa colonies though.

Archived