Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

DIY RSM Media Reactor

adamskit

After getting rid of my POS RSM Protein Skimmer and upgrading to the Tunze 9002 I found that I had a ton of space in the rear compartment to build a media reactor. This is a fairly easy modification that almost anyone can do if you are comfortable working with and gluing acrylic. The reactor is built to fit in the right hand (as you face the tank) side of the rear chamber. It actually sits about two inches above the bottom of the sump on a glass cross brace that is stock on all RSM aquariums. It sits between the side of the sump and another vertical glass brace that usually holds the stock skimmer. On the top level I am using the stock sponge (cut in half) and in the second compartment I am running Chemipure Pro. So far it works great and the cost to build is minimal. :P

DSC04479.jpg

DSC04481.jpg

DSC04495.jpg

DSC04496.jpg

snake plissken

whats the white stuff? where did you get it. I still run the stock RSM skimmer and was thinking about doing somehting simiar in the far left chamber (the chamber of death!) under the powerheads

very cool. I am going to do something like this in the next few weeks when I get the time. What did you use to glue the acrilic? I was thinking of using eggcrate instead.

And yes, what is the material that has the holes in it?

whats the white stuff? where did you get it. I still run the stock RSM skimmer and was thinking about doing somehting simiar in the far left chamber (the chamber of death!) under the powerheads

The "white stuff" is gutter guard that I purchased at OSH.

The "white stuff" is gutter guard that I purchased at OSH.

oooops sorry.... Stevie T I forgot to address your question. I used acrylic cement ("Weld On") that you can purchase at a plastics shop or on the internet if you do a google search. Egg crate won't work for this modification because you need a solid piece on the side that faces the skimmer to drive the water down the media reactor towards the bottom of the sump.

really.... i just figured it just need to sit in water and collect from there, not drive flow like wiht the old skimmer. Right now I just have the skimmer sitting in the back chamber, flow comes in from the top and I am gussing is being pulled through by the return pumps.

mandelbloom

Looks great! I made one too, but for the chamber of death....but this one is so much nice dont think I will post pics :)

does it rest on the bottom of the tank or is there some shims to keep it up? Why I ask is because I see a hole in the bottom of your piece of acrylic.

StevieT - Sorry I was at work when you posted your questions. If you look in the back of your RSM you will see that there is a glass pane that runs horizontally across the bottom of the sump area. My design actually sits on top of that horizontal piece about 1 1/2 inches off of the bottom. I actually thought of using egg crate for my original design as you had but then realized that you want water to flow through the reactor which is much more efficient than around the media (same priniciple as a canister filter). Let me know if you have any other questions as I am happy to assist.

• 1 month later...

You wouldn't happen to remember the measurements of the acrylic off the top of your head would you? I'd like to make one of these for my new tank when it ships.

<br />You wouldn't happen to remember the measurements of the acrylic off the top of your head would you? I'd like to make one of these for my new tank when it ships.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I built mine with the following measurements: 3 3/4 Wide x 3 3/8 Deep x 15 1/2 Tall

***The first media shelf is 8 inches up from the bottom of the reactor. The Top shelf is 12 inches up from the bottom of the reactor. I used a 2 1/8 inch hole saw to make the holes in the shelves. Please do take some measurements of your own tank to make sure they are the same as mine. Let me know how it turns out.

<br /><br /><br />

I built mine with the following measurements: 3 3/4 Wide x 3 3/8 Deep x 15 1/2 Tall

***The first media shelf is 8 inches up from the bottom of the reactor. The Top shelf is 12 inches up from the bottom of the reactor. I used a 2 1/8 inch hole saw to make the holes in the shelves. Please do take some measurements of your own tank to make sure they are the same as mine. Let me know how it turns out.

Thanks tank should be in here in a week or so and i'll compare.

Archived