Pod Your Reef

white round flat things

CSoli921

These are the clearest pics I could get...

ID4.jpg

ID3.jpg

ID2.jpg

ID1.jpg

I thought they might be baby stomatellas or something? Anyone know what they are?

not even with the last picture? :-( They show up almost like they are spirorbis and multiply.. only they are flat and round.. and i havent seen them move. Does someone wann come over to my house and tell me then?

not even with the last picture? :-( They show up almost like they are spirorbis and multiply.. only they are flat and round.. and i havent seen them move. Does someone wann come over to my house and tell me then?

sweet camera.

but uhh, i think there filter feeders, they start with a c i think, there harlmess check the ID thread, and uhh no, who knows whats at your house.

lol... yeah i couldnt find them on the id thread.. ill try checking again i guess.. i started with two and its seems like all of a sudden about 2 more pop up every couple days

Edit:... oh wait... you're not think chitons are you? they don't look like those..

as a quick response... i have two nerites.. im gonna check out your links.. thanks

BINGO! We have a winner! Nerite snail eggs spreading all over... I should have known.... they were all over each other last night... I didn't put two and two together.. I just had ~300 nassarius snail eggs hatch (eaten im guessing?).. Do nerite snails have any chance of growing to adulthood? Thank you thank you

Per the article referenced above:

"Though these egg capsules are laid prolifically, I have so far not seen an example where new nerites appeared. Apparently the larval period and requirement for planktonic food limits the successful recruitment of nerite larvae. There may also be a special requirement that the egg capsules be exposed with the change of the tides, or rainfall and salinity change may be necessary for some species." (--Sprung)

Too bad--it would be cool. You're lucky to have seen the Nassarius hatch!

--Diane

Per the article referenced above:

"Though these egg capsules are laid prolifically, I have so far not seen an example where new nerites appeared. Apparently the larval period and requirement for planktonic food limits the successful recruitment of nerite larvae. There may also be a special requirement that the egg capsules be exposed with the change of the tides, or rainfall and salinity change may be necessary for some species." (--Sprung)

Too bad--it would be cool. You're lucky to have seen the Nassarius hatch!

--Diane

Well... about the nassarius.. I just guessed that they did. There were between 12-15 tiny white eggs inside clear sacs all over my glass... they were there for two days and are now gone.. I just assumed that they hatched.

Well, could have hatched and become unraisable-in-our-tanks planktonic larvae, like the nerites, or been eaten as either eggs or larvae...

Cool that you saw the eggs, anyway. :)

There are a few types of snails that reproduce well in our tanks--Stomatella & Collinista, obviously. varanus37 has reproducing conchs! I should know more types that are successful, but I don't...:blush:

--Diane

Archived