Coral Vue Hydros

My BC29 Refugium Project.

frankthetank

refugiumbc29iy1.png

I wanted a smooth water flow over the refugium thats why I put the double baffle between chamber 1 and 2. and I put another baffle in chamber 3 so I could Put the chempure or whatever in there and the water would be forced up through it before it got to the Pump. My lighting will be. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=35&t=70138

What do you think? will this work good? Sorry about the grade 3 picture, lol Btw I ment LRR in the refugium.

Go for it I guess. However, the double baffle from 1 to 2 may reduce surface velocity and decrease the surface skimming in your display. Also, like many have said, LRR in chamber 2 can be as bad as bioballs if you don't keep it clean. I take it you plan to remove the false floor and add a baffle to chamber 2 as the water is flowing out of the top instead of the bottom. I also think it may be noisy with all the potential waterfalls. :)

Go for it I guess. However, the double baffle from 1 to 2 may reduce surface velocity and decrease the surface skimming in your display. Also, like many have said, LRR in chamber 2 can be as bad as bioballs if you don't keep it clean. I take it you plan to remove the false floor and add a baffle to chamber 2 as the water is flowing out of the top instead of the bottom. I also think it may be noisy with all the potential waterfalls. :)

I could change the LRR to Live sand, whatever would be better. I was going to put some floss where ever the water falls to reduce bubbles and noise. I did remove the false floor and I am going to put a baffle at the end of chamber 2 so my sand doesn't get washed away. I tested where the water level is with the maxi jet 1200 so I hope it won't reduce surface skimming. I could always cut some of that wall away in chamber 1.

What color light for the refugium, the blue or the yellow spectrum? or a mix of the two?

2-9 watt 6700K compact fluorescent lamps

mini-fw-t.jpg

9" Mini Aqualight includes 9 watt 10,000K daylight and 9 watt True Actinic 03 Blue compact fluorescent lamps

mini-sw-t.jpg

I got a great solution to the noise and bubbles. I attached some of that plastic knitting stuff to the wall on chamber 1; the water cascades to chamber 2 with minimal bubbles and noise. And, the chaeto doesn't seem to mind..... :huh:

post-28786-1203392394_thumb.jpg

I got a great solution to the noise and bubbles. I attached some of that plastic knitting stuff to the wall on chamber 1; the water cascades to chamber 2 with minimal bubbles and noise. And, the chaeto doesn't seem to mind..... :huh:

I think you just saved me a lot of time. Thanks thats 2 less walls I got to silicone in. :D

I see you cut the whole overflow wall off from chamber 1.

thats too many baffles....just 4 should be the max.

btw how high is that maxi jet going to be pumping? it dont do very well after 2 feet...

Nope....I didn't cut the wall off at all....I hung the white mesh onto the wall itself. The water gets caught in the mesh and cascades down as opposed to the crashing sound before that.

Nope....I didn't cut the wall off at all....I hung the white mesh onto the wall itself. The water gets caught in the mesh and cascades down as opposed to the crashing sound before that.

Oh ok, I though you cut it.

I measured the water level to be 11" with the new pump, in chamber 2 and 3. I tried it with just normal tap water so I could get all the measurements. So if anything I'll just make the baffle 10.5 " just to be safe. I could alway cut a couple of slits on the baffle just in case the water drops lower. but I think it should be fine.

So I did half of the acrylic work today (I think the fumes are getting to me from the silicone omgomgomg )

Here is some pic's.

Here is an overhead, from left to right of chamber 2-3 with the two new acrylic baffles siliconed in. The baffle in chamber 3 is much lower just enough to throw in some chem-pure or whatever. the baffle in chamber 2 is 11" high and the water pours in from 14" so it should be good.

23fromabovevq1.jpg

Here is a close up

between23pw9.jpg

So here is the size of my new fuge. I'm going to fill it with live sand and chetto.

refugiumcloseupja5.jpg

Here is the light I think would be good.

The Exo Terra Compact Top Canopy is a compact fluorescent terrarium canopy designed for use with the Exo Terra Glass Terrarium. This easy-to-install canopy accommodates compact fluorescent bulbs or low wattage incandescent bulbs.

compact_top.jpg

The bottom one 30 x 9 x 15 cm 11.8" x 3.5" x 5.9"

Well it seem to work good with water in it. I bought that mesh that frommzie recommended and will attach some pieces later today. Looks like I'm good to start adding LR and LS. How long till I start running the refuge, I take it I wait till I get the algae bloom right?

1001834do8.jpg

and here is just the fuge, 11" deep

1001829pq9.jpg

I really like the way it turned out, I used some heavy duty Velcro to attach the light

1001864sr6.jpg

1001863fp3.jpg

This is it simply Velcroed on!

fugelightxa4.jpg

The whole project was really easy, and I got a 1 gallon fuge out of it, thanks for the Idea.

All credit goes to steelhealr thanks dude!

• 1 year later...

Archived