Pod Your Reef

DIY Protein Skimmer

dreboogie

After finally finding the $$$, I was ready to invest in a Protein skimmer for my NC12. I was very interested in a Skimmer from Sapphire Aquatics since I wanted to avoid at all costs a HOB type skimmer, well I was ready to buy only to find out from searching the forums that they are taking a break from the business.

Well after spending several weeks looking through the forums, especially the countless pages of Wetworx (UTR) nano skimmers, I finally decided to say screw it and see what I could do.

I followed the basic Sapphire design with a few changes, the tube inside the main body is fixed to the top of the body, a smaller diameter tube for the collection cup is then place into the "reaction Tube" (whatever it is called). They were the exact same diameter so I had to sand the outside of the collection cup tube so it would slide inside. Water does leak a little bit around the union of the two tubes, but not enough for me to be concerned about, they fit very tight.

I remember seeing a mod in here for a mini-jet where by drilling into the side of the housing of the impeller and sticking an airline tube in there, it would suck in air. I was lucky I didn't screw that one up, it is working pretty good producing a lot of bubbles. The picture of the collection cup is about 24 hrs worth of skimmate. However, this is currently in my 30 gal prop/frag tank. There currently isn't too much to skim, the fact that it is working is pretty satisfying so far for me. I figured testing in this tank would be easier. So far I think that a smaller pump like a mini-jet 404 might work better for this set up, I'm currently using a 606.

Sorry if the picture is sideways, I tried correcting it several times but it keeps getting imported like that.

Here are the measurements of the pieces of acrylic that I used.

I got the acrylic tubes from American Plastics Corporation in Camarillo, CA a foot of both tubes was like $4 or less.

here is a picture of the body of the skimmer

IMG_1260.jpg

these measurements were made for the skimmer to fit in the first chamber!!!!

1.5" ID x 1.75" OD Tube - 6.5" Reaction tube

1.25" ID x 1.5 OD Tube - 2 7/8" Collection cup

(2) 2" x 3" - top and bottom of collection cup

(1) 5" x 1.75" - last divider in main body

(1) 7" x 1.75" - first divider in main body

(2) 1.75" x 1 7/8" - sides of collection cup

(2) 1.75" x 2 7/8" - sides of collection cup

(2) 2" x 3 5/8" - bottom and top of main body

(2) 7.25" x 3.5" - sides of main body

(2) 7.25" x 1 7/8" - Sides of main body

post-30923-1203119080_thumb.jpg

post-30923-1203120045_thumb.jpg

how much did it end up costing you?

im looking to make a similar one, just.. want my pump inside the unit, and have it so i can close the hood on my cube and still have it running...

not sure if my design will work with the collection cup partially under water.. will involve using gaskets to ensure no bubbles escape.

$4 for the acrylic tubes

$4 max for the acrylic sheets I got 2 sheets of the 11"x14" from Home depot

$4 Acrylic cement

$12 Pump

I would suggest using a pump that has less flow, I want to find out what the flow rate was on the pump that sapphire uses.

My should fit inside the cube with the lid closed. I'm 99% sure that from the floor to inside of the hood is 12". I think mine came out to 11.5"

The materials weren't expensive, it was the tools that added up: hole saws, acrylic drilling bits.

where did you get the sapphire specs? I am looking to do the same for a BC14. it would have to fit in the filter cartridge camber... as I have taken out the bio balls and put some ceramic noodles and a bag of carbon in their place, so now the side chamber is empty... another question is does this design allow bubbles to escape?

also where did you see the mini-jet mod? I can't seem to find it....

toasted to answer your first question, I never got dimensions for a Sapphire. To get the height I used a wooden dowel and kept cutting it shorter until the hood would close. Then I measured it and it came out to 12". so i tried to use that as an overall height and guesstimated by measuring the pump approximately how high the body would be and the cup. Doing it again I would make the collection cup a tad bit shorter, just to make sure it would be 12" high.

As far as bubbles escaping goes, the first 36 hours there were a lot of micro-bubbles coming out. Currently there are still some bubbles coming out but they haven't caused a flood of micro bubbles throughout the tank. They don't really seem to be a problem.

I purchased a JBJ MSS Surface skimmer, I remember reading in a thread that it would help regulate the levels in the rear chambers. It has been a big help in my nano cube in cleaning the surface, it has never been this clean before. I mention this because in the tank where I am testing the skimmer, the water height is 6" up the skimmer, this seems to be ok for the mini-jet 606, but I don't think I can get the water that low in the rear chambers of my NC12. I have a Rena Heater made of glass and I don't want to risk it breaking. I need to get my hands on a mini-jet 404, that way the water level can be higher and hopefully it won't overflow into the collection cup.

I honestly don't remember where I saw the mini-jet mod, it was either in here or on Reefcentral.com.

If you take apart off the mini-jet face grill, it looks like a small version of a maxi jet, I know UTR (undertheradar) showed a way of getting air into the pump by attaching an intake tube to the maxijet and then drilling a hole large enough for an airline tube, so the pump sucks in water and air at the same time, and the impeller breaks the air into micro bubbles. Well instead of doing it from the front, I did it from the side. I accidently did it right. I will try to post pics of the mod mon or tues.

here are pics of the collection cup, I haven't emptied it since I started. There is not a lot to skim since I don't have any livestock in the tank except for a small CUC and a few mushroom and GSP corals.

post-30923-1203291955_thumb.jpg

post-30923-1203292004_thumb.jpg

DreBoogie,

Do you have a link to modifying the pump or any details on positioning?attaching the airline?

I have a Sapphire running in a JBJ 12DX but am having some pump problems. Need to do a replacement and want to experiment to find a quieter unit.

If you need details on the Sapphire, I'll be happy to share

Paul

just wanted to update how my skimmer was doing, I changed emptied the collection cup 2 days ago and checked it today, the skim is much darker than before, still watery but expected since I don't have much to skim in he tank.

IMG_1259.jpg

Here are pictures of the mini jet mod: I did it right, accidentally, if you drill too far to the right, the airline will go into the impeller, this airline is very flexible so it doesn't pop out of the pump

the airline goes into that hole in the side

IMG_1261.jpg

This picture shows the housing of the impeller and removal of faceplate, also where the hole goes into

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

a picture of the hole and the impeller

IMG_1265.jpg

airline goes in like this, it has to rest in front of the impeller so that it does not become an obstruction

IMG_1266.jpg

I want to try it in this manner, drilling a hole in the faceplate of the impeller, this should still suck the air like before and make it easier to not hit the impeller with the airline.

IMG_1267.jpg

I hope these pics answer any questions

Paul P, the unit i made is not too bad with noise, I had a muffler from a venturi unit that came with a RIO 90 that I bought a long time ago. I attached that onto the airline and it got quiter but was still making a lot of noise, i positioned it upside down so the end of the airline was pointing down and that seemed to shut it up.

I decided to make a second version of my skimmer, after measuring it is about 1/2" too long when it sits on the mini jet 606, with a different type of pump it might sit lower. so i am going to rebuild it about .75" shorter. it will also be a total of 3 1/4" across so it will fit in the 2nd chamber of the NC12. hopefully it will be done by this weekend

Dre,

I am not sure what pump is used on the Sapphire but it is way too powerful. It is around the size of a mini-jet 404. I have mine throttled back as much as possible. If you open it up full bore, it will overpower the reaction chamber. Seems strange to be looking for a less powerful pump but that is what is needed for the 12G models.

I like your idea of the inlet on the face of the pump. Do you feel or know if it is critical where the air inlet is placed? will it perform the same, no matter where?

Paul

also by drilling into the front plate your working with the natural suction of the pump. so you also don't have to worry about the angle as well... I tried the same thing on a rio 50 and it is working so far, i was thinking if you glued a venturi valve to the intake it would be more efficient. it's all about pressure....

I have no idea if where the inlet for the airline is, if it will affect how much flow is used. I am planning on gluing a piece of acrylic over this hole and drilling one in the from of the face plate.

PaulP as far as your pump being too powerful, check to see how high the water level is in the chamber you have it. When i was testing this pump the water level was about 6" up the skimmer and it was working great. If the water level is too high then any turbulance from the pump (which is what you want) will overflow into your collection cup. That might help you out.

toasted1 - I have an old RIo-90 that I just took apart, i like that they are more compact but the have too much flow, well maybe they don't I just want to try to get less than that to make sure I don't overpower the reaction tube. I checked out the RIO-50 it has 69 gph, but I think I'm going to get a mini-404 since it's lowest gph setting is 18.

so did the hole in the faceplate work any better? also gluing a restriction plate to the rio 50 reduced the gph, in essence that is all the 404 does....

I haven't drilled a hole in the face plate yet, nor have I gotten a 404. I need to pick up a heater first, the one I have is glass and with the lower water level I don't want to risk breaking it. I'm having the acrylic cut hopefully today, maybe tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! I didn't think it had been so long since I last messed with the skimmer. I had to wait to get some new pieces cut. The first one I made was too tall to fit inside the NC12 with the cover closed. So I changed the measurements to the following:

1.5" ID x 1.75" OD Tube - 5.75"

1.25" ID x 1.5 OD Tube - 2 7/8"

(2) 2" x 3" - bottom/top of collection cup

(2) 1.75" x 1 7/8" - L/R sides of collection cup

(2) 1.75" x 2 7/8" - F/B sides of collection cup

(2) 2" x 3.25" - top and bottom of main body

(2) 6.5" x 3 3/8" - F/B of main body

(2) 6.5" x 1 7/8" - L/R of main body

(1) 5" x 1.75" - 2nd wall

(1) 6.25" x 1.75" - 1st wall

If you decide to use these measurements I would triple check them just to make sure they all line up. My top and bottom didn't line up. The skimmer is shorter, and not as wide, it should be able to fit in the 2nd chamber now. I also had to get a surface skimmer to get the crap off the top of the water and to lower the water levels in the back chambers. I am still using a mini-jet 606. What I did was I got a piece of acrylic and glued it onto the front of the powerhead. I took that grate thing off, not using it. I then used a drill and drilled a hole in the center, smaller than the intake hole., so now less water get sucked in, lowering the GPH.

I also did put the air tube in the front, so I drilled another hole for that, and it works great. I drilled it on the bottom of the face in the center. Much easier than trying to drill a hole in the side like I had before. The hole that I drilled on the side is still there, I didn't cover it up.

As you can see in the pics there is plenty of bubbles being made, I haven't been running it that long so There isn't too much as far as skim is concerned. The mods to the powerhead worked out perfectly cause it isn't just pumping directly into the collection cup. That saves $10.

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

• 2 months later...
AquaticEngineer

How is this DIY skimmer holding up so far? I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what to do for a skimmer. I'm so glad I found this on here.

I currently have the DIY fuge mod in chamber 2 and I want to add a skimmer in addition. Are you using anything for physical filtration like sponges or anything?

Do you have an updated list of the measurements for pieces to cut?

Im going to try to make one as well. I am using the bio-cube stock pump that I put an air inlet on it. Its going to lay on its side with an elbow pointing up so that one, it reduces flow and two, it still allows it to recive bubbles. Im going with pretty much the exact idea accept I cant find acrylice tubing so I am going to use PVC pipe.

Also have you thought of making the skimmers cup tubing larger rather than smaller? What do you think would work better. You said it leaks but not enough to worry. If it was larger the water would escape... Not the air? Mabye a better design.

Aquatic Engineer - The second set of measurements I think are the best, this allows the skimmer to also fit inside the second chamber. However I cut the pieces wrong and it won't fit correctly. With the MSS in place, the second chamber seems to have a lower water level than in chamber 1, and is also quieter since the water isn't splashing down onto it.

The thickness of the acrylic is 1/8". It's the stuff from home depot.

I don't have the skimmer running right now in my NC12, when I had it in chamber 1, i had carbon and 1 sponge in chamber 2. However, my skimmer want giving me the skimmate that I wanted.

I would recommend a smaller pump, if you can get the exact one that sapphire aquatics uses that would probably work very well. or a micro jet. What was happening was that I was getting more water into the skim cup. The bubbles were being pushed too high into the tube.

TRiGa22 - PVC should work fine as well. what I would recommend trying is having the reaction tube be the smaller diameter tube. Then use a wider tube as the tube into the collection cup, so the collection cup fits around the reaction tube, that way all water has to travel into the cup or out the bottom - NO LEAKS.

The leaks I had were very minimal and I don't think that they hindered performance.

What I would do different is this, I would get rid of having a flat bottom. The only thing holding my skimmer up was the piece of tubing that fit into the whole I had drilled into the bottom. Just get rid of the bottom, make the sides of the skimmer longer, so they touch the floor of the chamber, so the pump is now inside the skimmer. Leave the front and back open. If you think about it, all you really need is a tube for bubbles created by a pump to travel up. If you have it in the first chamber, I wouldn't worry about micro bubbles, especially if you have some filter floss or a fuge in the second chamber.

Archived