Top Shelf Aquatics

Fan replacement, 24G Nano Cube Dx

steelhealr

My fans quit after almost 3 years and I found my tank temperatures rapidly rising. Ahh...my dinosauric 24G.....lone survivor of the cracking debacle. Well..this may have been published here already, but, repetition never hurts..neither does using the search button here. I never forget my roots as a newb.

Apparently the fans burnt out after awhile...ball bearings etc. Measuring the width, the old JBJ fans are 60mm or about 2 1/2 inches. Found neat replacements at a huge computer center near me. The fans appear more powerful but are thicker..

What you need

• wire cutters
  • small Philips head screwdriver
  • soldering iron
  • weatherproof wire connectors
  • 60mm fans, commonly found at large computer centers in the peripherals department
  • the nerve to keep on doing your own stuff

Method

1. Turn off the power. Unplug all electricity
  2. Lift the hood and cover the aquarium so you don't lose anything into the tank

Fan1.jpg

3. Remove the four screws holding the splash shield
  4. Pull the PC lighting tubes and unscrew the support brackets and retaining screws from the reflector shield

Fan3.jpg

5. Remove the four screws holding the fan and pry off the JBJ fan

Fan2.jpg

Fan4.jpg

6. Cut the red and black wire and toss the fan

7. Splice the new fan wires onto the JBJ wires, solder, and cover with small weatherproof wire connectors

Fan6.jpg

8. Screw the fans back on, tuck the wires behind the reflector; then reattach everything in reverse

Fan7.jpg

Notes: The fans I purchased fit the grill on the JBJ hood perfectly but they were deeper/thicker.

Fan5.jpg

I had to modify the splash shield a little where it covers over the fans. Also, the screws were too short but I was able to use 1 1/2" #6 metal screws without difficulty.

Hope this helped.

SH

THANK YOU.. see all you noobs.. it only takes a few seconds to do a little research and find the answers to your ques...( i Love Sarcasm ) .

thanks again.. i was looking for a way to replace my fans.. great post! :D

oh yeh where did u get your 1 1/2" #6 metal screws at??and also where did u get ur fans from ???what are the specs for those fans...thanks

• 1 year later...

wow what a great threat. I finally got through it all and wish there was more. If you are still in the hobby I would love to see an updated picture. I just purchased 24 nano cube. Very excited to try the mods and get started. Thanks again for all of the information.

huh replied to the wrong thread. haha

Archived