Top Shelf Aquatics

Monkfish's First Reef

Monkfish

This is gonna be my first go at a reef tank. I'm gonna follow sanddeep's (thanks Sandeep) design and try to keep most of it simple. It's a 10 Gallon Tank and I'm gonna work on getting it set up this week and maybe water in it next weekend.

The Plan..

10glayout1.png

Prep for paint:

Prep.jpg

Painted Today:

painted.jpg

Live Rock From LFS:

LR2.jpg

LR1.jpg

Curing Until I have 10 gallon ready:

curing.jpg

Well thats it for now will work on the refugium side this week:)

BTW thanks for all the great info on this site !!

lol, I like the hex - I say, put a light on it and call it a day! :) It's nice to see more people using black and white sand, too.

The 10 looks good, though. Look forward to seeing it all done and stocked.

Looking good Monkfish! I was planning on doing something similar with a 20L, but then it all changed. I'm looking forward to seeing how your project turns out.

What are you using as a divider in the tank? I used black ABS sheet to build a refugium, it is easy to work with, and make look nice.

Thanks Jeremai and Johnny. I'd like to use black ABS or the black plexi I cant find either locally so I guess I'll have to order it unless someone knows a chain that carries it?

Well i got the black plastic today from a sign shop come to find out they have tons of different color plastic and plexi. So I cut the piece and put the bulkhead on and cut the skimmer slots which was a pain I didnt have the right tool for that. Anyhow Ill ill attach it all tonite and see if it works this weekend.

false1.jpg

false2.jpg

false3.jpg

I was going to section mine that way too but I wanted an extra chamber in the rear for a skimmer. Did you silicone the false wall in? What are you going to light it with? looks great!!

Thanks Cdelicath. Yeah I siliconed it tonite so I will let it set up a couple days. Not sure if Im gonna make a hood and get retrofit or just get one of those clamp on lights.

I have a question about powerheads for my flow out the bulkhead. I'm looking at these two is one better than the other? And also is it enough flow?

Maxi-Jet 600

160 GPH

maxijet600.jpg

OR

Minijet 606

159 GPH This one is nice becuase it's smaller

Minijet606.jpg

As far as lighting goes would this be sufficient for the 8 gallons in the main tank area?

Current USA DualSun Retrofit Power Compact 20"-2 x 40 Watt

currentusaduel.jpg

"The Current USA Retrofit Dual Kit is designed to give you maximum flexibility, longer life and easy installation. Each kit includes: independent parabolic reflectors, remote electronic ballast assemblies, patented endcap locking systems and all necessary hardware. This fixture comes with 1x40 watt Dual Daylight Lamp and 1x40 watt Dual Actinic Lamp. This model has 2 switches."

Yes, that lighting would be sufficient.

On the pumps, the MJ600 is better quality, but you're right, the minijet is MUCH smaller. Touch call.

Thanks Weetabix! Ill go for the maxi-jet then I think. Do you think the 600 is enough flow for the tank or should I use a 900?

This thing holds water thank god! I figured that would be my first FUBAR lol.

water1.jpg

water2.jpg

I think the MJ900 would probably actually work fine.

I have one that I'm using as a return from a built-in sump much like yours, but mine is on a 16g tank and the flow is too slow for me. I have to supplement with other PH's in the display, so I suspect that a MJ900 would probably be just about right in your situation.

Swwwweat 10 gal nice workman ship. My first full blown reef was a 10 gal with 175w mH. It rocked. I moved and put a 135 in the wall. Still have it but have gone full circle and now have a BC29. I really like the nano over my 135 sooo much less maintanince. Don't get me wrong for a serious whoww effect the 135 gets the job done.

I might suggest removing the sand from your ref. You really don't get much help from sand in a ref unless you are doing a DSB. What little sand you have in there will eventually get polluted with Detitrus and cause eventual high nitrates same with the LR rubble. For a small ref like yours a fist full of cheato would be all you really need. JMO

Thanks for the heads up Deano:) I didnt know that Im learning something new everyday. Tanks for the compliments as well this is alot of fun just setting it up I think Im addicted already and I dont even have anything in the tank yet lol. BTW Your nano looks awesome!

Thanks for the heads up Deano:) I didnt know that Im learning something new everyday. Tanks for the compliments as well this is alot of fun just setting it up I think Im addicted already and I dont even have anything in the tank yet lol. BTW Your nano looks awesome!

Tanks!!! :lol:

Your journey has just began. Do this tank right and it appears you are, you will be hooked. B)

Can wait to see it stocked...

Archived