Cultivated Reef

My (elaak's) 30g Finnex SPS/clam T5 tank

elaak

I just wanted to post up some pics of my tank to see what all of you think. I recently downsized from a much bigger 100g tank to this little guy and I am lovin the control and the ease of taking care it compared to the old tank. Anyways onto the pics, its a work in progress but so far I think its turning out great.

g16.jpg

g15.jpg

g14.jpg

g13.jpg

g12.jpg

g11.jpg

g10.jpg

g9.jpg

g8.jpg

g7.jpg

g6.jpg

g5.jpg

g4.jpg

g3.jpg

g2.jpg

g1.jpg

heres a link to how I made the LR piece. Its actually one giant piece thats is being held together by a eggcrate backbone with "great stuff" foam filling in some of the gaps.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...141036&st=0

o ya, for anyone thats wondering about the equipment on this tank its:

Aquatinics TX5 fixture (5 T5 bulbs with some very good reflectors)

I replaced the stock return pump with a rio 800. Its quieter and and doesnt overwhelm the microbubble strainer as much.

One Tunze Nanostream (the larger model), 2 koralia nanos, and a Koralia 3 (totalling about 100x turnover)

a Reefkeeper II

I'm seeing a lot of people downsizing from larger setups. So it makes me wonder if I should ditch my plans for a 260G in my living room. Maybe having multiple nanos will give me as much satisfaction as a monster tank would, at a fraction of the price. Can I ask you, what was the major reason you decided to go small? BTW: That's my kind of tank. Loaded with clams and SPS.

I'm seeing a lot of people downsizing from larger setups. So it makes me wonder if I should ditch my plans for a 260G in my living room. Maybe having multiple nanos will give me as much satisfaction as a monster tank would, at a fraction of the price. Can I ask you, what was the major reason you decided to go small? BTW: That's my kind of tank. Loaded with clams and SPS.

For me it was a couple of things but alot of them came down to the cost and ease of maintence. On this tank, my 5 gallon bucket hooked up to my ATO will last me more than a month, water changes are only 3 gallons for a 10-15% change, I worked out the cost suppliments per month and with bulkreefsupply.com it will only cost me about $6 per month. I also know that during the next couple years of my life I might have to move within the city a few times. I will admit that once I am somewhere perminent i will be doing a mega tank, a smaller tank right now is just for convience.

I will probably make another order to Dr. Macs pretty soon for some more SPS and maybe 1 or 2 more really nice clams.

the calc topoff water pump jammed today. Second time in a week. its a maxijet but does anyone know of a pump that isnt prone to jamming that can still do a good 6 feet?

this tank is gonna be awesome!

as far as the topoff....if it isnt doing huge quantities for calc top off i used to use the aqualifter...its nice and slow and can do that height, otherwise I would use a dosing pump

Alright, from top to bottom in the bulb color picture:

ATI procolor, a red spectrum bulb, my theory being that if corals are reflecting blue and green then they may be using red light more heavily. And it makes oranges pop a little more, not that have very much.

Giessman Antinic plus

UV aquasun

UV super antinic

Giessman Midday 6500k

will TOMS aqualifter do 6ft? it only says 30in in the descriptions that I have seen.

I know a ton of people use them and have used them in the past but not 6 feet. I think I maxed out at probably 3-4...ill see if I can dig mine out...not sure where it is....and test it for ya

thanks for the compliments. The stand is one I picked up at petsmart actually. Its not one of those factory produced ones though. Its meant for a 30in tank but it works for mine.

Thanks alot for the infor SLOreefer. It helps alot.

Archived